• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Bangladesh in West Indies

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aminul Islam was about 35 when Bangladesh made their Test debut, he's now retired.
Habibul Bashar has made three centuries (108, 108, 113)
Ashraful made one on debut.
Omar made one against Pakistan last year.
Rafique made one in the first innings.

Total = 7.

Enamul Haque junior is one of several finger spinners in Bangladesh in and around the national side (others being Rafique, Manjural Islam Rana, Jamaluddin Ahmed and Abdur Razzaq).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nikhil4eva said:
Man Bangladesh in big trouble now...I dont think they can win the match now...they should just defend now instead of scoring and try to make this match into a draw
Better to try and get runs IMO - the time left means that they'd need to defend a long time to get a draw, whereas 30 or 40 extra runs could make all the difference...

Mr Mxyzptlk

IMO it was ridiculous captaincy by Bashar to delay a declaration. Bangladesh should have at least tried to win it.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
IMO it was ridiculous captaincy by Bashar to delay a declaration. Bangladesh should have at least tried to win it.
Was never gonna happen though once the West Indies failed to bowl Bangladesh out cheaply. Why risk losing a game when you have no chance of winning it.

chicane

State Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
There was too much risk of losing (again :wacko: ) that's why a draw is better for them. They couldn't have set WI a target of 270-280 off 50 overs because there was a risk. Just looking at the way Gayle is playing now, you'll see why. And besides they have 3 centurions now in the game, a victory of sorts for them.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

SpaceMonkey said:
Was never gonna happen though once the West Indies failed to bowl Bangladesh out cheaply. Why risk losing a game when you have no chance of winning it.
West Indies were hardly going to chase down a 270+ total at 8+ runs per over. I don't care who the attack is. That was just so disappointing IMO. Bangladesh have nothing to lose and it would have shown a refreshingly positive approach.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For a side who had managed 5 tons in 28 tests, once there was a chance of a third in the current match, they were going to go for it - and this is Mahsud's day of his life.

I can see where you're coming from, Liam, but this is the first time since they've been a test nation that Bangladesh have ever really dictated matters against anyone.

Not long to wait until the next one - Jamaica - and that'll be a result one way or another.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
Lara, St. John's, Hypocrisy?
Neil, I expected more from you.

How in world is 3-0 down, facing a whitewash and achieving a draw anything like 0-0, 1st Test, playing well, never won a Test match and settling for a draw?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

How in world is 3-0 down, facing a whitewash and achieving a draw anything like 0-0, 1st Test, playing well, never won a Test match and settling for a draw?
the pride of losing 3-1 and not 3-0 would surely be enough? :P

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
It still wouldn't make much of a difference if the result was 3-0 or 3-1.Pride holds no sway in that discussion.

Neil Pickup

Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Three centuries in a match? Pride? There was no way in a million years that Bangladesh were ever going to bowl the WI out on that track.

Mr Mxyzptlk

West Indian Report Cards

Chris Gayle
9/10
Gayle was dropped 3 times, but he batted more maturely than I've see him, since his knock against Kenya in the WC. In the second innings he was just devastating. The bowling looked more dangerous (albeit not too much) than I've ever seen him. As I type, however, he's said in his MoM interview that he'll hope to be bowling less and focussing more on batting. Good game for him.

Devon Smith
7/10
Unlucky to be run out in the first innings as there was a single there. In the second innings he looked true class and in the field he was just about perfect.

Ramnaresh Sarwan
8/10
Decent knock until he got out. Horrible shot to get himself out... again. That said, his bowling was suprisingly effective and gave the West Indies a chance on two occasions. Decent game overall, with just the two indiscretions.

Brian Lara
5/10
Batted quite comfortably and classily, but threw away his wicket in search of a shot-a-ball. Disappointing. Also, I generally defend Lara's unorthodox captaincy, but I can't understand why he would wait so long to bring Best into the attack in both innings. That said, the field placings were good.

Shivnarine Chanderpaul
2/10
Did he even play in this game?

Dwayne Smith
6/10
He played too well to get himself out for only 42.

Ridley Jacobs
10/10
I don't think anyone could have asked for more from old man Jacobs. He was superb with the gloves, taking a couple of fine catches and effecting a good stumping. With the bat he was extremley solid and remained unbeaten on 46. Fine match for him.

Tino Best
3/10
Mishandled by Lara IMO, but not the best of games for him.

Pedro Collins
8/10
Bowled superbly in the first innings, but fell away with his second innings control unfortunately.

Jermain Lawson
2/10
Clearly far less than match-fit. Lawson was bowling at 78-83 mph and not doing anything with the ball, admittedly on a flat pitch. Poor game for him as he looked less than a shadow of what he was.

Fidel Edwards
1/10
Struggled with his runup all game long, but bowled a sharp spell today to get him a point or two. Needs to work out his mechanics before Sabina.

Dave Mohammed
10/10
Carried the water admirably.

chicane

State Captain
Neil Pickup said:
There was no way in a million years that Bangladesh were ever going to bowl the WI out on that track.
Yeah but Bangladesh will most probably play only in similar wickets and against even tougher opposition. If they won't win in a million years, then India will definitely win an away series before that. I WIN:cool:

Mr Mxyzptlk

SpaceMonkey said:
the pride of losing 3-1 and not 3-0 would surely be enough? :P
Must we go over this again? Would 3-1 and no record have been better than 3-0 and a world record in more ways than one? No. The West Indies were thrashed in the first 3 Tests and to come back and avoid the whitewash and see a Lara record is more than any West Indian supported could have asked for.

Neil Pickup

chicane said:
Yeah but Bangladesh will most probably play only in similar wickets and against even tougher opposition. If they won't win in a million years, then India will definitely win an away series before that. I WIN:cool:
Let's wait and see...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Must we go over this again? Would 3-1 and no record have been better than 3-0 and a world record in more ways than one? No. The West Indies were thrashed in the first 3 Tests and to come back and avoid the whitewash and see a Lara record is more than any West Indian supported could have asked for.
I totally agree with Liam here - it was vital for the West Indies to get something out of the fourth test - and with Lara getting his crown back, that was a huge bonus.

This game, though, although a tame draw, is Bangladesh's finest hour as a test playing nation - and I tell you what, if they could do the same next week, they'd rip your hand off for a drawn series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
Three centuries in a match? Pride? There was no way in a million years that Bangladesh were ever going to bowl the WI out on that track.
But it's more positive to believe that you can and to express that by going for it. Bangladesh had the match safely for a draw in any case.