• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in New Zealand

cbuts

International Debutant
what the? If he is coming in at no.3 he will face the new ball anyway, particularly as he is a NZ batsman.

No.5 and no.6 are the perfect positions in a team for attacking players IMO.

Your no.3 must be very solid, your no.4 your best batsman, no's 5 and 6 your most attacking batsmen. Astle and McMillan were a great no.5/6 pair for NZ when they were both in form.
im saying you dont want to be batting 5 or 6 and facing the new ball - which sadly happens alot.

Taylor is a natural number 3.

Considering Astle was one of our best ODI openers - cant really ever recall him batting 5 or 6 in ODI, and he was pretty rubbish at tests....

cbuts

International Debutant
Fulton should always be ahead of Styris. Why? Because Styris has the greatest ability to clear the ropes in the death overs. The lower you bat, the better you should be at clearing the ropes (this applies for numbers 4-7) in ODI cricket.
Styris is soo overated its not funny.

He consistantly fails, then pulls a big score out of nowhere in a dead rubber - bit like in hobart. No point in getting a big 80 when the games already over.

cbuts

International Debutant
Yes. You are right. But IMO, it is highly unlikely with the rate the NZ players get injured very frequently
dont think its necessarily injuries, we just dont play enough games. Apart from Zim and Bang, we play the least amount of cricket

James

Cricket Web Owner
Hey Porkey farkin Parker you fat git, you fat piece of ****, once again I HUGE edge and not given out. Boy if that was Symonds bowling he would have raised his finger and wanked himself with his other hand.

Go to pizza haven hell you fat s.o.b.!!!
Calm down please, there's no need for that language and tone. Completely un-called for.

Onto the topic now, 1 over for GIllespie I see. This the end of him now?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Considering Astle was one of our best ODI openers - cant really ever recall him batting 5 or 6 in ODI, and he was pretty rubbish at tests....
One of the most dire observations I have ever read of this forum. Absolute rubbish.

are you mad? Astle averaged 37+ in test cricket and was our best batsman behind Fleming for many a year. You are a disgrace to this forum.

cbuts

International Debutant
Vettori has 17 wickets in his last 5 non-SA Tests. A bit harsh to say he never gets wickets when he's failed against one opposition in recent times. Also a bit presumptuous to suggest that someone with a first-class average barely under 40 would do a better job.
Cant get onto cricinfo at work, but im retty sure his test bowling average is up around 38.

Thing with Patel is, he hardley plays fc cricket anymore. Ever since he has showen promise, he has been in the squad for nz.

Days of Grace

International Captain
He consistantly fails, then pulls a big score out of nowhere in a dead rubber - bit like in hobart. No point in getting a big 80 when the games already over.
Yes, you are mad. Yes, you are a complete git.

Look at the last 20 innings in ODI cricket that Styris has played and come back to me.

Geez, you talk a lot of rubbish. You are probably one of those gits that call radio talkback.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yes, you are mad. Yes, you are a complete git.

Look at the last 20 innings in ODI cricket that Styris has played and come back to me.

Geez, you talk a lot of rubbish. You are probably one of those gits that call radio talkback.
Really, no need at all for that sort of stuff.

archie mac

International Coach
Anyway I have finished the match report, not a too bad an effort seeing I was trying to watch the boxing day Test and listening to this game during the breaks between overs:laugh:

Flem274*

123/5

Da nananananana SUPER TROLL da nananananana da nanananananana SUPER TROLL.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Isn't the point to try to score runs regardless of match and series situation? Besides, I'm sure I could find plenty of evidence of quality Styris knocks if I bothered. He's not as good as he once was, it seems, but he's still a fair shout better than other options New Zealand has around.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cant get onto cricinfo at work, but im retty sure his test bowling average is up around 38.

Thing with Patel is, he hardley plays fc cricket anymore. Ever since he has showen promise, he has been in the squad for nz.
Better yet, you're advocating New Zealand drop the closest they've had to a Test class spinner to play someone who hardly plays FC cricket and has an average of 40 there anyway? Genius.

cbuts

International Debutant
Vettori is not world class test player. ODI's - 2020, he is up there, but he does not take enough wickets in tests. I think someone else deserves a chance. Also there are a number of tests in NZ, where you dont even want a spinner in the team at all.
Patel's average is under 40. Also he does not get much of a chance to work on this anymore, as he is always in the NZ squad. Patel has not played a FC match for over a year now. Dec 14 2006 was his last appearance.

To be fair to Styris, his ODi from has been good - mixed up with test cricket. only 1 score above 54 in his last 22 innings, and only 4 above 40 in the last 22.

Fleming is hardly our best batsman in the last decade. Richardson was miles ahead of any other NZ player

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vettori is not world class test player.
That's not the criteria for selection, though. If it was, New Zealand would never international cricket.

cbuts said:
Patel's average is under 40. Also he does not get much of a chance to work on this anymore, as he is always in the NZ squad. Patel has not played a FC match for over a year now. Dec 14 2006 was his last appearance.
As has been pointed out, that isn't a good thing. If someone was poor in first class cricket in his last attempt at it and hasn't played it in over a year, they probably won't be very good at it. Just a hunch. Vettori would pretty much justify selection on his batting alone these days as well.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Here's an interesting article - Selectors lose their courage

I don't like the thought of Cumming and How opening against Bangladesh, especially where if they succeed they're going to get absolutely done over by Sidebottom, Hoggard and company when England come.

I don't see how someone like Bell can be left out with the form he's in currently?

And Gillespie, why do we keep picking him time after time? Is he the new Hamish Marshall?