• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

Link

State Vice-Captain
indian_king said:
bangladesh will have one upset in this comin series
what do you mean. they will get upset ( i think bowler at pietersen will have that effect) or they will do something miraculas?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
TBF i would say that the current Bangladesh ODI side is better then that Kenyan side. That Kenyan side had a lot of weak links in that side in the form of David Obuya, Jimmy Kamade, P Ongondo, L Onyango and B Patel. Compare that to the current Bangladesh side which is more balanced and also has class players in Bashar and Rafique.
But in the game referred to, Patel was one of the best players, so you cant put him in that list really.

Also, Mr Mxyzptlk, I wouldnt worry about Rafique's high ODI bowling average. Hes a much better bowler these days.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
But in the game referred to, Patel was one of the best players, so you cant put him in that list really.

Also, Mr Mxyzptlk, I wouldnt worry about Rafique's high ODI bowling average. Hes a much better bowler these days.
On Patel he really hasn't performed throughout his career as a batsmen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thats true, but you cant really say he was a weaklink in THAT side that played when he was one of their best players in the game that were being referred to!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
Thats true, but you cant really say he was a weaklink in THAT side that played when he was one of their best players in the game that were being referred to!
I was considering that sides overall career performances not just how they performaned in that game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But then we go back to the original topic.

Are Bangladesh capable of pulling off a performance like that Kenyan side?

To say that Kenya were weak because of Brijal (among others) is a poor point, as Brijal did well in the game!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Prince EWS said:

To say that Kenya were weak because of Brijal (among others) is a poor point, as Brijal did well in the game!
Bangladesh did beat India and came close to beating Pakistan in a test.

But the thing is Kenya back then was much better than Bangladesh right now IMO. Kenya though have had the misfortuneof being shabbily treated by the ICC coupled with the domestic crisis which has really hampered their cricket.

Kenya does possess a lot of natural talent and with support from the ICC I would think they can still improve a lot in the next 10-15 years.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:

Just cus Brijal Patel did well in one doesn't make him not a weak link, if your just looking at that game to judge a player's importence to a side you could say Watson is major player in the Australian side cus he got 1/38 (9) and 77 not out, but if you look at his whole career his isn't yet.

Bangladesh are capable of pulling off a performance like that if you consider their performances in India and the fact that the Australian batted Watson and Warne infront of Hayden and Martyn. Also they didn't play Mcgarth and Gillespie in that match either. If Australia or England do something simliar do you still think that Bangladesh have no chance of pulling off a simliar result.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
The thing is that, you all have to look forward. The internal cricket structure in Bangladesh is going better and better day by day. 4-day natinal league is a regular event now. Everyone is performing well there. Several teams like A Team, U-19 teams are being sent abroad tournaments. They are performing well, too. A-Team defeated Zimbabwe A team. U-19 team is winning every matches in Australlia, in a devastating fashion. two of the mathces were against Australlia U-19 teams. Lots of quality players are in the pipeline. Selection commitee is awsome. Things are really looking much better now. Only thing is that most of the players are very young, even on the national team. But they are improving day by day. If things goes like this, there is good chance, Bangladesh will be a tough competitor for every team very soon.

tooextracool

International Coach
i never understand why they play the ODIs before the tests. seems like they like seeing england get thrashed in the build up to the ashes, and then lose all confidence and get thrashed in the ashes too. flashbacks of 01.

Link

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
i never understand why they play the ODIs before the tests. seems like they like seeing england get thrashed in the build up to the ashes, and then lose all confidence and get thrashed in the ashes too. flashbacks of 01.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
its true.........

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
I suppose they prefer to play the NW triangular series when the first tourists are still in the country rather than fly someone else in afterwards. But I think you're right that it was a factor in 2001, albeit a minor one. Somewhere behind the spate of injuries and Aus just being a whole lot better than us.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
I hope England will be generous to their former Colony and not rout them in a one sided Test !! :(

I hope English selectors will select some of their Emerging Test Cricketers and thus give them a chance to play International Cricket against the 'deshis and thereby make it an interesting series !!
wont be happening

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
Yes, his Test average is quite respectable (43 wickets @ 33.76). Better than Flintoff and Anderson. (:p Don't hurt me.:()
thats means nothing because he surely isn't better than them

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
the Natwest series i goin to be so boring & one-sided if i had the option i would cancel it

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just cus Brijal Patel did well in one doesn't make him not a weak link, if your just looking at that game to judge a player's importence to a side you could say Watson is major player in the Australian side cus he got 1/38 (9) and 77 not out, but if you look at his whole career his isn't yet.
Thats all true BUT the point of which team was/is weaker is irrelevant really. The question you must ask is do Bangladesh have someone capable of doing a Brijan, Odumbe, Suji or Odoyo performance. The arguement was whether Bangladesh were capable of doing what Kenya did in the game - not whether their team was stronger than Kenya's.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
Thats all true BUT the point of which team was/is weaker is irrelevant really. The question you must ask is do Bangladesh have someone capable of doing a Brijan, Odumbe, Suji or Odoyo performance. The arguement was whether Bangladesh were capable of doing what Kenya did in the game - not whether their team was stronger than Kenya's.
Well it think they are, considering that their top 8 batsmen have all scored ODI 50s, which Brijan hasn't done. Mashrafe is as good bowler if not better then Odoyo. Rafique, Rana and Haque jnr are all better bowlers then Suji. As said earlier all the Bangaleadesh batsmen in the top 8 have scored ODIs 50 so they are more then capable of scoring a 50 like Odumbe did. So surely they are more then capable of producing a simliar performace as Kenyan did if they where provide with the same situation; no McGrath and Gillespie in starting line up and Hayden and Martyn don't bat.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
And besides, in 97 we dominated the OD series IIRC.

That didn't help.
yet it was the closest ashes series we've had in over a decade.
and if you remember correctly we ran with the momentum and were 1-0 up until the third test,and it took a phenomenal effort from steve waugh(a 100 in both innings in the third) for them to get the momentum back.