• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh in England

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Samuel_Vimes said:
Interesting case with Gareth Batty (which was foreseen by someone...Marc I think?)

Did not bat
Did not bowl
Did not catch.

When did that last happen?
Actually, some might argue you could replace Did with Can and it'd describe GB very well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Starts on a Friday, it's also a waste of time looking at forecasts 6+ days ahead in this country.
Intriguing that it is starting on a Friday - can't remember the last Test in England that did.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
Easy money if you can get it :D He could have creeped out yesterday and played for Worcs and i dont think anyone would have noticed :)
I think i saw him loosening up during that fifty stand. Maybe he was just stretching like i did this morning

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
If it started on Thursday I'd bid, but I've an exam on Tuesday...
even if it started on Saturday i think you would still have ample time to prepare for your exam

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Is it just me or is Jeff Boycott Simon Jones' greatest fan. Maybe i am just a tad jealous coz i feel tht anderson should be the man but i think he talks about Simon Jones too much.

I have got to hand it to Simon Jones though, he has won me over. He can swing it with the new ball now.

i was thinking that he should open with Hoggard and then let the 7-foot-something bang-it-in brothers can come in and bully the batsmen out. BTW, Flintoff is an absolute Barbarian. He was only bowling at around 82 mph and was still as brutal as usual.

**** i then get this big smile on my face as i think about the ashes****

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpeedKing said:
Is it just me or is Jeff Boycott Simon Jones' greatest fan. Maybe i am just a tad jealous coz i feel tht anderson should be the man but i think he talks about Simon Jones too much.

For a start, Anderson should never come near the side ahead of Jones, and secondly, far from it - Boycott has been one of Jones' fiercest critics, especially over in SA.

The finger to the lip when he got that wicket this morning was definitely aimed at Boycott.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
and his name is Geoff.

Yeah when i saw the after match interview, Jones didn't look very interested in what Boycott was saying to him.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
SpeedKing said:
Is it just me or is Geoff Boycott Simon Jones' greatest fan. Maybe i am just a tad jealous coz i feel tht anderson should be the man but i think he talks about Simon Jones too much.
i thought it might have been summat to do with Boycott playing 12 tests with Simon's daddy, Jeff Jones

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
superkingdave said:
and his name is Geoff.

Yeah when i saw the after match interview, Jones didn't look very interested in what Boycott was saying to him.
On the other hand, did you see the look on Boycott's face, it was like a schoolboy meeting his idol. I wish i could get a picture of that great moment. Intriguing how a man of so much experience who has definitely seen and faced bowlers of greater calibre than jones can be so amazed at meeting him

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Suggest England auction off the number eight position for the next Test.
haha, not too much to do at all but field for gareth batty, but has he said when interviewed about not playing at all during the SA tour ``I got the experience``

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
overall such as easy win for england, improved bowling from the first innings for this successful quartet of seamers, only disappointment for in this test was that Harmison didn't run though BAN, he looked good but not back to the same form that he was in during the series in the WI & NZ

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
aussie said:
haha, not too much to do at all but field for gareth batty, but has he said when interviewed about not playing at all during the SA tour ``I got the experience``
He knows he'll never displace Giles, he can only hope to keep the no2 spot till Giles finally retires (which shouldnt be THAT far in the distant future) then hope no promising leg spinner comes through to take his spot as Giles does retire :)

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
He knows he'll never displace Giles, he can only hope to keep the no2 spot till Giles finally retires (which shouldnt be THAT far in the distant future) then hope no promising leg spinner comes through to take his spot as Giles does retire :)
If we can't discover a better spinner than Batty in the next 4-5 years, then things really are grim on the spin front.

Cheers,

Mike

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
overall such as easy win for england, improved bowling from the first innings for this successful quartet of seamers, only disappointment for in this test was that Harmison didn't run though BAN, he looked good but not back to the same form that he was in during the series in the WI & NZ
Motson will probably slash his wrists if Harmison runs through Bangladesh again, I can see how that would be a disappointment tho.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
badgerhair said:
If we can't discover a better spinner than Batty in the next 4-5 years, then things really are grim on the spin front.

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Munday sounds okay - or Swann, though I don't know how old he is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
Michael Munday sounds okay - or Swann, though I don't know how old he is.
Only about 25 or 26 I think.

When you get to my age the ages of people in their mid-20s are always prefaced with "only".... :p

Sussexshark

Cricket Spectator
So, Bangladesh managed to escape being roasted in two days. The whole thing makes an utter mockery of the term 'Test Match'. 'Twas neither a test, nor was it a match, and this is how it always will be because Bangladesh are simply 3rd rate (and that's being kind). I don't blame th players - there are some promising lads there, but, point 1, it's the system, which does not allow these players to broaden their experience by playing cricket elsewhere. However, there is also the socio-political angle, in that many of these cricketers are expected to be the breadwinners in families that have been decimated by the many catastrophes that have hit the country - all due to de-forestation - which will make it difficult for those guys to achieve point 1.

Why in God's name did the ICC allow this to happen? Yeah, I know, they're a load of braindead morons (rather like Jacques Chirac really!) but surely they should have seen what the inevitable result would be.

Is there no way in which Bangladesh could take place in the Indian cricket set-up, just to allow them to gain experience? Probably not.

It is all so very sad, and in the end it is cricket that suffers, that is made to look totally stupid. But do the ICC care?

er... no, and I doubt if they ever will.

regards from a somewhat hacked-off

Peter

:D :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Motson will probably slash his wrists if Harmison runs through Bangladesh again, I can see how that would be a disappointment tho.
well its not a huge disappointment, but personally i would have loved to see Harmison run through BAN & get back to that form that made him #1 in the world before the ashes starts