• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2015

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm no expert on concussion, every case is unique, etc. but anyone else have the feeling that there might be more to the story about Rogers maybe missing the Jamaica Test? Nothing other than gut-feeling but I dunno, I found the language used in the Cricinfo article interesting. Also, given his stated intention to retire post-Ashes and public statements re: Hughes and having a young family, one wonders if he was more spooked by getting hit than the Aussies have let on?

For all the reasons, of course you hope it's not the case and, dear god, do the team need him in England but I it makes one wonder.
All that's a given, the last thing we need is the cricket equivalent of the cliche aging cop on his last day before retirement being gunned down in a hail of bullets by the mob, then later being revealed to have actually been the father, cousin, brother and roommate of his partner.

Can't expect everyone to be as fanatical as Justin Langer in this post-Hughes world.

Last edited:

dermo

International Vice-Captain
I'm no expert on concussion, every case is unique, etc. but anyone else have the feeling that there might be more to the story about Rogers maybe missing the Jamaica Test? Nothing other than gut-feeling but I dunno, I found the language used in the Cricinfo article interesting. Also, given his stated intention to retire post-Ashes and public statements re: Hughes and having a young family, one wonders if he was more spooked by getting hit than the Aussies have let on?

For all the reasons, of course you hope it's not the case and, dear god, do the team need him in England but I it makes one wonder.
i think it might just be a cover so they can pick smarsh as a more horses for courses option, whilst rogers is just about first picked in england he's pretty poor in conditions like we saw in the last test.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I have never watched Brathwaite play against spinners; but doesn't he struggle with that stance?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
West Indies' domestic scene doesn't really have a shortage of spinners or spinning pitches so I think he'll do fine.
Yeah but the weird thing about this is that Devon Smith, one of the worst players of off spin bowling of all time, has been an absolute class above in WI domestic cricket for the last few years.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Players with that particular stance like Brathwaite's (e.g. Klusener) generally have a weakness against good spinners. It is difficult to play some shots against spinners from such a position.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but the weird thing about this is that Devon Smith, one of the worst players of off spin bowling of all time, has been an absolute class above in WI domestic cricket for the last few years.
Nobody understands how Devon Smith works.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it sad that the first thing I heard of when I read that name was Fiery?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
RE: Rogers' concussion; the Australian doctor has been on the forefront of the push towards more serious treatment of head injuries in all Australian sports; in the post-Hughes world, think he's being given the ultimate say rather than just a recommendation.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Players with that particular stance like Brathwaite's (e.g. Klusener) generally have a weakness against good spinners. It is difficult to play some shots against spinners from such a position.
So far he's been pretty good against spin tbh. Plays with very soft hands so doesn't get caught at short leg or silly mid on and also rarely lets the ball hit the pad. His real weakness against both seam and spin is playing at balls outside off that he could leave and being caught behind or at slip when the ball bounces a bit. He's also been caught out by booming in-swingers a couple of times but they were both outstanding deliveries and the dukes ball is swinging a lot in the Caribbean this year.

What I would say in his defence is that his last 6 tests have been played against the Worlds best opening bowlers tbf and the last two have been on dreadful pitches where everyone not named Voges or Dowrich struggled.

Spark

Global Moderator
cricket.com.au @CricketAus
JUST IN: Chris Rogers will miss the second Test as he's still suffering symptoms of concussion #WIvAUS

Same lineup, then.