• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2015

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Oh dear. Brutal stuff from the Aussies. I hope our youngsters can learn from the experience because batting on that pitch wasn't easy at all. What struck me was every mistake they made was punished, I reckon there were at least 5 very good/excellent catches taken. The likes of Blackwood got away with a few of those against England and went on to play fine knocks but the Aussies gave absolutely nothing away.

For me there were two big positives and three big negatives to come out of this test:

Shane Dowrich looked every inch a test match batsman. Composed and solid, he played both pace and spin well. An excellent debut. Devendra Bishoo was magical with the ball, certainly the best spinner on display by a country mile. If only he had been supported by Permaul too.

On the negative side, Shannon Gabriel was dreadful and completely let the rest of the attack down. He's a rabbit with the bat too. We really can't afford to play him ahead of the likes of Carlos Braithwaite or Veerasammy Permaul. Yes he's got pace but literally nothing else. I also thought Marlon and Bravo played two dreadful shots, even though Marlon played well in the second innings. They are the main men now and need to realise it.

Finally, we cannot play tests on pitches like that. We've got a very young team and they need good conditions to learn and develop in. That pitch was pretty awful and the outfield must have denied both sides 75-100 runs each. Something has to be done about our pitches, it is literally the biggest problem facing us and that really is saying something.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Yeah Shannon is a waste of space unfortunately. I felt for Ramdin losing Bishoo, but bringing on Samuels to chuck/bowl was a massive mistake as the game got away from them with Voges and the tail. I'd probably move Samuls up the order, just to drill into him that he is now the most experienced player in the side and he really needs to step up.

The opener issue is a problem, Hope isn't ready, shame Devon is so useless and Gayle can't be bothered.

Was Simmons any use for Trinidad in the last year or two? Surely his uncle will have a word?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't bring Simmons back tbh, he averages 30ish in FC cricket there and won't learn much from the experience. I think Dwayne bravo would be a much better addition to the side then Lendl, I really do think he'd make a difference.

Niall

International Coach
I wouldn't bring Simmons back tbh, he averages 30ish in FC cricket there and won't learn much from the experience. I think Dwayne bravo would be a much better addition to the side then Lendl, I really do think he'd make a difference.
Isn't it away to Australia next?

Phil is going to have to work very hard to persuade the IPL guys to swerve the Big Bash to play the tests, I think Gayle and Simmons don't have contracts but both especially Gayle should be able to swing one.

I hope Phil can work something out though, the likes of Dwayne and even Gayle would have something to offer in that tour.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Isn't it away to Australia next?

Phil is going to have to work very hard to persuade the IPL guys to swerve the Big Bash to play the tests, I think Gayle and Simmons don't have contracts but both especially Gayle should be able to swing one.

I hope Phil can work something out though, the likes of Dwayne and even Gayle would have something to offer in that tour.
Gayle does have a BBL contract, recently announced with the Renegades.

Flem274*

123/5
Samuels batting even higher would be the pits. I know I'm a hater because if he had a technique and a brain he would average 50 and not 38 or whatever it is but there is no way in hell he's getting away with his flaws up the order or changing the way he plays when he's already getting close to retirement age.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Oof, I was worried going to sleep that the windies might have batted the game away from Australia but I'm glad we got through it. Really shows the value of having a resilient tail. There was good fight from diwrich and Samuels from what I've stayed up to watch though.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Samuels batting even higher would be the pits. I know I'm a hater because if he had a technique and a brain he would average 50 and not 38 or whatever it is but there is no way in hell he's getting away with his flaws up the order or changing the way he plays when he's already getting close to retirement age.
His technique itself is fine imo. The brain... yeah, kinda lacking. Still thought it wa sa top knock though, and it's nice to see him put a sequence of decent scores together. He's been quite good in the last two months though still frustrating.