• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Brutal stuff from Oz today, virtually killing off the contest. Innings victory on the cards at this rate.
I feel like this is a really premature call. Warner may be Australia's version of QdK and if Smith does an Amla, suddenly RSA feel more confident particularly with Marsh walking to the crease.at the loss of only 4 wickets.

Obviously we are well on top but we could easily undo that dominance in 1 session.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Abbott a bit stiff for this game, tbh. Bowling quite well right now, might have played over Philander.
The Steyn/Philander/Rabada were always going to play.. it was whether we played a 4th seamer and should it be Morkel/Abbott. I did not expect us to play a spinner at Perth....

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel like this is a really premature call. Warner may be Australia's version of QdK and if Smith does an Amla, suddenly RSA feel more confident particularly with Marsh walking to the crease.at the loss of only 4 wickets.

Obviously we are well on top but we could easily undo that dominance in 1 session.
SA are far from out of the match.... but if we bowl tomorrow morning like we did today we`re ****ed.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
It struck me today that for all the talk from certain ex-players (Warne, Lehmann, Jones) that test cricket is becoming boring and change is needed, a large part of the problem - in Australia at least - is the lack of Lawry and Greig in commentary. When South Africa were falling like flies in the first hour or so, I couldn't help but think how Lawry would've been lapping it up and making it feel even more dramatic than it already was. He would've been sticking it to Greig as the icing on the cake. They really were two of a kind. I don't mind Mark Taylor as a commentator, but he just had nowhere near the same impact first up this morning.

And Pietersen's excessive commmentary today just made it even easier to appreciate Benaud's commentary style.

Last edited:

Bahseph

International Debutant
Yeah the game is far from over, but that was far from the bowling effort you expect from SA. I hope they pull it together in the morning or this could get really ugly. Warner is ominous.

Tough times for Maharaj out there , but he deserves his spot after his last two domestic seasons.

indiaholic

International Captain
It struck me today that for all the talk from certain ex-players (Warne, Lehmann, Jones) that test cricket is becoming boring and change is needed, a large part of the problem - in Australia at least - is the lack of Lawry and Greig in commentary. When South Africa were falling like flies in the first hour or so, I couldn't help but think how Lawry would've been lapping it up and making it feel even more dramatic than it already was. He would've been sticking it to Greig as the icing on the cake. They really were two of a kind. I don't mind Mark Taylor as a commentator, but he just had nowhere near the same impact first up this morning.
None of that is necessary. Today was objectively not boring.

indiaholic

International Captain
Why can't Non Aussie bowlers shine at the WACA?
The explanation that is usually given is that non Australian fast bowlers see the bounce and start trying to bounce the batsmen when a length ball is way more effective. It sounds stupid that international players would do this but SA did exactly that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And Starc's knack of first-over poles, I honestly can't think of any bowler I've ever seen or heard of who's so good at that. You, an opener walk out, still waking up, some bloke lopes into bowl like a high-jumper and rips down 150K's hooping balls. Nasty.
Has done it 19 times since January 2015 apparently. Next best is Malinga with 7.

Wicket2Wicket

Cricket Spectator
South Africa are so difficult to watch at times, because they don't use their intelligence. They should've opened to Warner with spin. He is hopeless against spin bowling. They are bowling to his strengths time and time again.

Kirkut

International Regular
Surprised with the bowling lengths from South Africa today, they were too short. Steyn was hitting good speeds but none of his deliveries were in full length zone, 89% of them in the short length zone.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's the minor detail that Warner averages approximately 1000 at the ground too.

Last edited: