• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah okay, that makes sense.

Looks like I really do just pay attention to the Ashes :ph34r:
I think it probably is a week or two earlier than usual even for six Tests tbh, probably just because it's South Africa and they have their own home summer. But not a month unless you're just comparing it to Ashes series and series against India (which tbf make up a lot of recent scheduling, haha).

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
How about that 5-0 in the ODI's?... the good old days.
I wonder how much the 5-0 scoreline hurt South Africa more than Australia in the context of this series .The team including Faf kept talking about it and the momentum when it had absolutely zero relevance. It was a totally different bowling attack, a different format and SA could very well have played another team if it wasn't called Australia.

I feel like it gave them this false sense of confidence instead of realising just how strong a team Australia is on home roads. All that talk about targetting Smith...they can't even get through Warner first..and given his record against SA, I'm surprised they didn't see him as the main threat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Most people on CW hate him for obvious reasons..so they won't enjoy his commentary now
In general I think he's a dick but kind of like him despite that, and I enjoyed his commentary on Ten in the Big Bash for what it was.. but I thought his opening stint in comms yesterday was absolutely terrible. He wasn't so bad after that but his first stint was up there in the Jayasuriya realm of bad commentary. You can write that off to preconceived bias if you like, but I don't think it was really that.

adub

International Captain
The Gabba (usually first test of the summer) test is in the first/second week of November about every other year. Last week of November other years.

The only earlier WACA test than this was Hayden's Zimbo destruction which started on Oct 9!

adub

International Captain
But so much potential.
To be fair to the ****, he has been very consistently productive in the last 2 seasons. I don't have much of a problem with him in the side now. It was just the first 3-4 years that were completely unearned.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
In general I think he's a dick but kind of like him despite that, and I enjoyed his commentary on Ten in the Big Bash for what it was.. but I thought his opening stint in comms yesterday was absolutely terrible. He wasn't so bad after that but his first stint was up there in the Jayasuriya realm of bad commentary. You can write that off to preconceived bias if you like, but I don't think it was really that.
Didn't hear the first stint. Heard him during the last session when De Kock was batting with the tail and then during Australia's innings. Would take him over the rest in the C9 commentary team today.

adub

International Captain
Not sure Marsh is an opener though.

But with Warner doing Warnery stuff at the other end it takes a lot of pressure off.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Called it first.

Absolute road. Saffers are just a **** batting side
Agree, I really don't think there's much difference between this wicket and the one for the NZ/Aus test last year. Possibly a little more bounce, but looks like a road regardless. Just highlights how well Aust bowled.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree, I really don't think there's much difference between this wicket and the one for the NZ/Aus test last year. Possibly a little more bounce, but looks like a road regardless. Just highlights how well Aust bowled.
Exactly plus the top order of SA have been jittery for a very long time and it's not a co incidence that SA's decline in test cricket coincided with that. It's incredible what a major difference is made by a solid opening stand that can see off the new ball and can give you 40/0 in the first hour.
South Africa haven't had that since Smith left and that in turn meant they have always been 2 wickets down very early. That can put a tremendous level of pressure on your batting line up and ultimately make the difference between a solid total and paltry one and it has absolutely nothing to do with the pitch.
A great example is the recent England series..until Pakistan were opening with Hafeez and Masood, they were struggling to post decent totals. The moment they were provided a solid start by Sami and Azhar, we started seeing centuries from the rest of the batting line up.

Spark

Global Moderator
Didn't hear the first stint. Heard him during the last session when De Kock was batting with the tail and then during Australia's innings. Would take him over the rest in the C9 commentary team today.
Mostly he just would not shut up in his first stint. End up having to mute because it he went on and on and on

Athlai

Not Terrible
Beta males tend to be 'triggered' by Alpha males.
KP's commentary has been really good. Michael Clarke was okay too. Both far better than the ones they let go though. Well done channel 9
Haha, wouldn't it be alpha's that butted heads and the betas would follow them?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Beta males tend to be 'triggered' by Alpha males.
KP's commentary has been really good. Michael Clarke was okay too. Both far better than the ones they let go though. Well done channel 9
A guy who complains about bullying in the dressing room is nothing but the quintessential beta.

Don't expect Victorians to have taste but still smh fam.