• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
He also had a crack at the selectors to be fair. Practically asked for some young blood to captain.

Blocky

Banned
Again, none of that is healthy in a team unit, especially when morale is already down. That's what you say in behind close doors, you have a go at your batsmen, your selectors, you look at your planning, etcetera.

Tangles

It's not healthy to do it in public but maybe he doesn't care anymore. It's interesting to see he feels let down like supporters do but hanging out the selectors and teammates to dry in public isn't a good leadership move.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yesterday:

Just because he's a brilliant bat doesn't make him a brilliant captain, and the signs are that the team doesn't perform under him.

Why isn't he calling his batsmen to account for these weak dismissals?
Today:
Having a crack in the media at your players isn't a good thing.

It's not healthy to do it in public but maybe he doesn't care anymore. It's interesting to see he feels let down like supporters do but hanging out the selectors and teammates to dry in public isn't a good leadership move.
Nah **** that. There comes a point when you have enough. How many times do you reckon they've had meetings to talk about their approach? At some point you do get jack of it. TOTAB did it in NZ in the mid-80s. Questioned his players' attitude and toughness, basically had the shits so bad he said at a presser he was contemplating retiring. The blokes around him might not have liked it, but they sat up and took notice. Everyone did.

I don't think either TOTAB in that case or TPC in this one go to the press conference with a view to tip a bucket. They go there because they have to, and they're hurting at how the side is performing. They both simply speak their mind. I'm sure TPC wouldn't speak as he did had there not been a recurring theme in the way the side is performing. I'd agree with you if they'd suffered one collapse to lose a test and he went out and said what he did, but this has been happening for ages, and it's gotten worse. I'd rather he show how pissed off and embarrassed he is at the way they're going than sit there and mouth the usual endless platitudes which people carry on with.

Blocky

Banned
He needs to call them to account within the change sheds, not in the media, If they're not listening, that's as much on him and Lehmann as it is on the team.

Same with the go at the selectors/administrators in the media - not a good move at all.

Burgey

He needs to call them to account within the change sheds, not in the media, If they're not listening, that's as much on him and Lehmann as it is on the team.

Same with the go at the selectors/administrators in the media - not a good move at all.
You reckon nothing would have been said in the sheds before yesterday? FMD if you're captaining a side which keeps performing as this one is, you're going to get the shits. The players and admin sometimes need to see that publicly instead of hearing it within the cloisters of the sheds.

It's a ****ing odd world we live in where people can't be called out publicly for the way they're going. Good on him for questioning their attitude and temperament. He's well within his rights to. The Australian cricket team is the most heavily protected and sheltered sporting team in the country, by miles. It has been that way for decades, and it's wrong. You never see these blokes out and amongst people, unless they're launching their own book or they're at the AB Medal night with their missus. There's plenty of scrutiny, of course, but it's all from afar. There's no interaction with people, everything is kept in-house. It's a closed shop. Jesus Christ, football coaches and captains call out players for not having a go or being dumb ****s whenever they see fit to do so, and no one turns a hair at it. Why should it be different here? He's spot on, anyone who watches the team can see it. He's only saying what everyone already knows anyway.

People forget he's only a young bloke but he';s already been through getting dropped and working on his game to get back in then to excel. Sure he's crazy gifted, but the way he changed his game between his first iteration and the current one was all down to work, to doing what was necessary to change his game in order to succeed. It's what successful people do, not just in cricket but in any sport or endeavour. The current lot seem to think they can keep going as they are and it will turn around. It won't. The definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome.

If they capitulate in Adelaide, I hope he has another crack at them, only this time names names. I've had enough of the way they're playing, and I'm watching from a thousand miles away.

the big bambino

International Captain
Keeping it in house completely disrespects the fan. He's at a presser and the public would like to hear the truth from their team's captain. Otherwise if he platitudes it out then we'd be left to wonder if the captain is delusional and unfit for the job. After all the team always asks the fans to stick with them so you can't embrace and then spurn the fans whenever you think its convenient. That attitude more than poor performance would turn me off them.

As for SA they are a great bully XI. Sniff weakness they get all over you. Which is why our lack of fight is frustrating. I think of all the teams around the world they don't like it when opponents stand up to them. On another matter I did enjoy watching Marsh in the selector's box and wondered if he was contemplating how Philander and Abbott, both of whom struggle to tip 135ks, absolutely destroyed our batting.

howardj

International Coach
Bring in Bancroft and Patterson in the batting

Neville on serious notice too

No more 30+ year-old debutants

MHussey was the exception - as Chappelli says, you're on a road to nowhere by debuting guys at that age

Tom Flint

International Regular
Bring in Bancroft and Patterson in the batting

Neville on serious notice too

No more 30+ year-old debutants

MHussey was the exception - as Chappelli says, you're on a road to nowhere by debuting guys at that age
Australia would love another rogers for the next 3 years mind you

Tangles

TOTAB is Border I'm guessing. My only concern is that Smith risks losing part of the team by calling them out like this. Some will respond and the sensitive ones will have a sook about it. Now if those are the ones not performing then no big loss. Without him naming names he had me thinking of Voges and Ferg anyway.

adub

International Captain
Not sold on Bancroft. Really rocks and diamonds. Averages 36 in the Shield and has more Shield tons than 50s. Yeah he scored 3 hundreds last summer, but nothing else over 50. So yeah great conversion, but 9 scores of 25 or less out of 17 innings (1 no.) and nothing between 45 and 111 isn't the sort of opener who is going to be an improvement on Burns.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not sold on Bancroft. Really rocks and diamonds. Averages 36 in the Shield and has more Shield tons than 50s. Yeah he scored 3 hundreds last summer, but nothing else over 50. So yeah great conversion, but 9 scores of 25 or less out of 17 innings (1 no.) and nothing between 45 and 111 isn't the sort of opener who is going to be an improvement on Burns.
I'd definitely think about taking Bancroft to India -- scored a ton there for Australia A and generally looks good against spin, scratchy starts seamers wouldn't be as big of a worry, and he could double as the backup keeper -- but yeah I wouldn't play him in Aus right now.

howardj

International Coach
Excellent breakdown of his stats

Interesting

Thanks for that

Burgey

TOTAB is Border I'm guessing. My only concern is that Smith risks losing part of the team by calling them out like this. Some will respond and the sensitive ones will have a sook about it. Now if those are the ones not performing then no big loss. Without him naming names he had me thinking of Voges and Ferg anyway.
I'd suggest if you're going to have a sook about that then you don't belong in a test team. Sorry, I know that sounds harsh but to me it rings true.

howardj

International Coach
What are people's thoughts on Jake Lehmann? FC average of 48, and coming off a century in his most recent Shield match.

adub

International Captain
The big problem is when you're arguing over guys like Bancroft, Handscomb, Maddinson and Head you're arguing over a bunch of guys who've all had several years at Shield level and all average well under 40. That **** just ain't good enough. People used to slag off Smitteh being talked up when he had a mid 40s Shield average. We'd kill for a young guy like that right now.