• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've heard calls for Jake Weatherald. Seriously.

EDIT: And Marcus Harris. Do people talking about cricket like, not follow cricket?

Last edited:

dermo

International Vice-Captain
I do wonder when Warnie is going to make a huff about picking Zampa again though. Another performance like his last Shield effort and his average will drop below 50.
Will be around about the time we collapse to Yasir Shah during the boxing day test, then the discussion will focus on leg spin and our need for one. Combine that with Zampa's IPL experience and most likely a few decent performances in the BBL when the standard Australian cricket fan who only watches cricket 3 months a year will be watching, and you can lock Zampa in for a spot in the squad to India.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh damn. I forgot about Yasir. If he performs the call for us to select some random leg spinner will be unbearable. Especially with the ever present Warnie.

Zinzan

Incidentally, why did Nevill get in ahead of Wade to start with? Did Wade keep especially poorly in the 12 Tests he played?

Wade just strikes as a more talented cricketer & averaged 35 with the bat in those 12 tests vs. Nevill's average of 22 in 17 tests.

morgieb

Incidentally, why did Nevill get in ahead of Wade to start with? Did Wade keep especially poorly in the 12 Tests he played?

Wade just strikes as a more talented cricketer & averaged 35 with the bat in those 12 tests vs. Nevill's average of 22 in 17 tests.
Yeah Wade was keeping really badly in the Tests he played. Plus Nevill's FC average actually matches Wade, so I don't blame the Australian selectors for picking him over Wade. Just hasn't worked out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, he was a joke. It was to the point where the two options on the table were to either drop Wade or stop bothering selecting a spinner.

Starfighter

Firstly, Wade's keeping varied between mediocre and rubbish. I'm certain he cost Lyon quite a few wickets, and second Nevill's FC batting figures were similar or even superior, which combined with his superior keeping got him the job when Haddin was booted.

morgieb

Nah, you're probably just unaware of the NZ ones.
Ah yeah fair call. Have heard things about NZ cricket pundits, but obviously I'm more exposed to Aussie ones.

England probably a bit different, perhaps because of class differences in cricketing culture compared to us.

Starfighter

Reminds me. read an article today where they listed all the young batsmen averaging over 55 this season, basically saying that they'll all equivalent. Ashton Turner was one of them. I don't have any objection to him personally, but it shows that context is important and making judgements after just a couple of matches is ****.

Last edited:

morgieb

Reminds me. read an article today where they listed all the young batsmen averaging over 55 this season, basically saying that they'll all equivalent. Ashton Turner was one of them. I don't have any objection to him personally, but it shows that context is important and making judgements after just a matches is couple is ****.
Funny thing about Ashton Turner is that if you're looking for a left-field option for the subcontinent, you could do worse than him. His style of bowling fits the subcontinent well, and he scored runs on what was a minefield (not sure if there's anything in his technique that suggests he's great against spin, but that's a positive).

Obviously should be nowhere near the side in normal circumstances, though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Funny thing about Ashton Turner is that if you're looking for a left-field option for the subcontinent, you could do worse than him. His style of bowling fits the subcontinent well, and he scored runs on what was a minefield (not sure if there's anything in his technique that suggests he's great against spin, but that's a positive).

Obviously should be nowhere near the side in normal circumstances, though.
Haha that would be amazing. It'd be ridiculous but I'd back it anyway.

They did it with Krejza afterall. :p

Starfighter

It'll be interesting to see if they pick SO'K if he performs in the next shield round. And Lyon'll be playing alongside him (which sucks for Somerville), so you can consider it a direct face-off. Personally I don't think they'll drop Lyon though.

Also would like to see Sayers picked on his home deck, considering that he outperformed Mennie. The confusion created in our team being run through by two guys bowling 130-135 km/h is wondrous. I wonder when they'll get the message that pace isn't that important.