• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course. Just wondering what peoples thoughts on him are.
Well honestly I've always wanted him to come good and live up to his potential. If he could become a 35 average bat who picks up 2wpm at 35 I'd be very happy with that. I honestly just think he needs more time in the shield. But we'll see.

the big bambino

International Captain
The trouble with Marsh M is that he hasn't been good enough with the bat for 6 or with the ball for 7. Because he seems a 5th bowler his best bet is to aim for no.6 which means his batting is the skill he has to develop to stay in the side. Clearly he's done that and now at least looks capable of defending himself from the bowling. He'll likely struggle in SA but I think that is acceptable because I now have faith his batting will improve from now on. So not a test no.6 yet but he gives you confidence he'll get there.

Closer to becoming a test batsmen than Bancroft atm and I'm not convinced about Handscomb either. Bancroft's edge seems to big a target and Handscomb has weaknesses against both the full pitch and short pitched ball. That's why I'm in favour of TJB's batting order, or Daemon's variation of it, for the series in SA: If I had my way.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Darsh can't bat higher than 5 he just isn't good enough. His runs for WA and Aus have come down the order. Is drop Bancroft and recall Renshaw or Burns. Leave what's working and fix what isn't.

stephen

Darsh can't bat higher than 5 he just isn't good enough. His runs for WA and Aus have come down the order. Is drop Bancroft and recall Renshaw or Burns. Leave what's working and fix what isn't.
I don't think batting 4 would be too much of a stretch, especially behind TPC.

the big bambino

International Captain
Most want to leave Smith at 4 so the choice people seem to be pondering is where to play Marsh and the person they'd replace Bancroft with - at 3 or 5.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Marsh opening would be silly, but Marsh batting four would be perfectly fine. I think Marsh batting three could go either way, especially in South Africa.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Marsh at 4 could work if Smith went up to 3. He did so in India, that was more to avoid the top 3 all being left handed though, something that isn't really an issue outside the subcontinent.

stephen

Maybe. Bowling attacks are fairly even and both batting lineups have a lot of weaknesses. It should be a fast bowler shoot out and that will be exciting to see.

The cricket lover in me wants to see Steyn for and firing for all 4 tests. The Australian in me is hoping we can wrap it up before he plays.

StephenZA

Think SA are ahead on the bowling, but the teams are equal overall with Smith creating a backbone for the Aus batting that I don't see in the SA batting.

I am also interested in how the pitches are gonna behave, even if there is some grass it is so late in the season that I expect dry pitches (particularly St Georges) that may bring in extra spinning options. Whatever happens I think it is gonna be a helluva a series. 4 tests is awesome! None of this stupid 3 test series.

stephen

Think SA are ahead on the bowling, but the teams are equal overall with Smith creating a backbone for the Aus batting that I don't see in the SA batting.

I am also interested in how the pitches are gonna behave, even if there is some grass it is so late in the season that I expect dry pitches (particularly St Georges) that may bring in extra spinning options. Whatever happens I think it is gonna be a helluva a series. 4 tests is awesome! None of this stupid 3 test series.
I think whether RSA are ahead on the bowling depends on Steyn's fitness. Otherwise I think the teams have even attacks.

Starfighter

Are SA going to continue with the five bowlers strategy? It might be needed to dislodge Smith (provided he does't carry his ODI form into the tests) but they're not going to have too pleasant of a time against Starc and Cummins.

Although I still expect Philander's traditional first innings thirty to frustrate us time and time again.

Gob

International Coach
Made 140 in centurion batting at #4

Gob

International Coach
Khawaja,Smith and Marsh are perfectly fine where they are. Just needs Renshaw in there over Bankrupt

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Are SA going to continue with the five bowlers strategy? It might be needed to dislodge Smith (provided he does't carry his ODI form into the tests) but they're not going to have too pleasant of a time against Starc and Cummins.

Although I still expect Philander's traditional first innings thirty to frustrate us time and time again.
We'll win if they go in with five bowlers IMO

StephenZA

I think whether RSA are ahead on the bowling depends on Steyn's fitness. Otherwise I think the teams have even attacks.
Will have to disagree, but this has already been discussed earlier in the thread....

I hope we don't go with the 5 bowler strategy, with QDK so woefully out of form it is not a good idea; if our 4 front line bowlers can't get Smith I doubt the 5th will. And if Bavuma comes in we have a good chance of running a few of the Aussie batsmen out....

Starfighter

Marsh picked up a few wickets in his last shield match, so hopefully he'll be a little more threatening than he looked during the home summer. That gives us a nice balance. I'm still a little worried about his technique - looks very hard handed and could be in trouble if the ball moves, but he looks sooo much better than two years ago.

I think SA would be crazy to go in with Philander batting at 7, especially with De Kock being rather impotent recently. Gibson seemed pretty determined to go down that route against India, hopefully the loss has changed his mind. Also I think it would be a mistake not to pick Maharaj, which is something I'm expecting them to do at some point. Maybe if the pitch is very green.

Thank God this series is a proper length. Looking at the FTP it might be the last between these sides that is too.