• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Marsh picked up a few wickets in his last shield match, so hopefully he'll be a little more threatening than he looked during the home summer. That gives us a nice balance. I'm still a little worried about his technique - looks very hard handed and could be in trouble if the ball moves, but he looks sooo much better than two years ago.

I think SA would be crazy to go in with Philander batting at 7, especially with De Kock being rather impotent recently. Gibson seemed pretty determined to go down that route against India, hopefully the loss has changed his mind. Also I think it would be a mistake not to pick Maharaj, which is something I'm expecting them to do at some point. Maybe if the pitch is very green.

Thank God this series is a proper length. Looking at the FTP it might be the last between these sides that is too.
Don't expect green pitches this series....

StephenZA

why not? Not that I'm accusing SA of doctoring pitches but surely green pitches would be SA's best chance of winning?
Venues we are playing (eg PE has always been low and slow), late in a very dry season, and with the Aus batting being more used to bounce and pace as opposed to slower wickets. Combined with Rabada's very useful ability of being a fantastic reverse swing bowler; It seems unlikely we will see green pitches... some grass, not flat but pretty dry. But ultimately I expect pretty different surfaces through out the series...

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
why not? Not that I'm accusing SA of doctoring pitches but surely green pitches would be SA's best chance of winning?
The theory however is that Australia would struggle more in slower conditions than South Africa would. Time of year doesn't help either.

Not sure I'd agree there, but certainly you wouldn't want it to be fast.

TheJediBrah

Venues we are playing (eg PE has always been low and slow), late in a very dry season, and with the Aus batting being more used to bounce and pace as opposed to slower wickets. Combined with Rabada's very useful ability of being a fantastic reverse swing bowler; It seems unlikely we will see green pitches... some grass, not flat but pretty dry. But ultimately I expect pretty different surfaces through out the series...
The theory however is that Australia would struggle more in slower conditions than South Africa would. Time of year doesn't help either.

Not sure I'd agree there, but certainly you wouldn't want it to be fast.
Very good points

vcs

Amla's form is worrying, as is QdK's. Hope Faf gets back to fitness. SA have a few issues to sort out. Australia will certainly be confident of getting a result, especially given their historical dominance here.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Faf wants slow seamers for Aus. Atleast thats what he said during the zim test. Ofc he wanted quick bouncy pitches for india but didn't get it.

sunilz

International Regular
AUS are massive favourites for this series IMO. players of IND, OZ and SA are multi-format cricketers . If they are in good form in one format then they are also in good form in other formats.SA batsmen except ABD and Duplessis are massively out of form . If SA win this series it will be due to their bowlers. I can't see SA batsman scoring more than 250 against AUS bowlers on a sporting wicket.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I don't think batting 4 would be too much of a stretch, especially behind TPC.
2 early wickets and its Darsh vs the new ball. You are way more optimistic than I am about the guy who is a bad starter and nicks off in that scenario.

Gnske

He isn't guaranteed to fail at 3 or 4, with Marsh it's 50/50 whether he ****s up or whether he does something of great value before he ****s up.

Rssll

Cricket Spectator
AUS are massive favourites for this series IMO. players of IND, OZ and SA are multi-format cricketers . If they are in good form in one format then they are also in good form in other formats.SA batsmen except ABD and Duplessis are massively out of form . If SA win this series it will be due to their bowlers. I can't see SA batsman scoring more than 250 against AUS bowlers on a sporting wicket.
I don't think South Africa's batsmen (except for de Kock) are more out of form than Australia's. The whole South African top order has looked in relatively good touch against Zimbabwe and India in the Tests. Amla and Markram followed that up with a poor ODI series but that is exactly the same position that Australia is in with Smith and Warner at the moment.

vcs

Markram didn't do much in the Tests TBH. Amla, AB and Faf all looked good at different times, but were still kept relatively in check by the Indian bowlers, albeit on tough pitches. They'll face a tougher attack in Australia and will have to do better.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Markram's first innings knock in the second Test was awesome. I reckon they probably would've lost without it, and that would've likely turned the entire series.

Last edited:

Bahseph

International Debutant
Yeah I don't think we should be confusing the LO form with what can happen in Tests. SA has some obvious weaknesses but I'd still back them to pull off a win in just about any Test. Someone usually stands up with the bat. And unlike the LO team, it isn't necessarily the top order. Hopefully this series is as good as the India one.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Good to see Maharaj getting 7 in the second innings for the dolphins. He wasn't at his best vs india. He will be important especially at PE.

StephenZA

Good to see Maharaj getting 7 in the second innings for the dolphins. He wasn't at his best vs india. He will be important especially at PE.
25 wickets to spin in that match.... Harmer took 6 and 6 in the 2 innings!