• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I highly doubt Handscomb's century is going to worry Bancroft at all, he is not an opener. If Handscomb does get recalled it will be for the middle order.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm. I was more focusing on the fringe players.

Forgot that Lyon and the Marsh brothers played tbh. The QLD/Tas game was my primary focus.

So yeah I should have left out the part about the other test players, which was plain wrong.

Khawaja
Smith
Warner
Starc
Hazlewood
Cummins
Paine

All didn't play though.

stephen

I highly doubt Handscomb's century is going to worry Bancroft at all, he is not an opener. If Handscomb does get recalled it will be for the middle order.
Yep but Khawaja and Smith could slide up the order to make way for him. Renshaw got dropped after a shorter patch of bad form than Bancroft has had. The mid season break messed up Renshaw's chance to push his way back into the team though.

If Australia lose the first two tests and Bancroft has had 4 failures his neck will be on the figurative chopping block.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Paine will want to have a very good series, because Carey's star is properly on the rise.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's not in the SA side listed to play NSW over the weekend, so it makes sense that he's been called into the squad, at least as cover.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA 'A' squad for Australian 3-day warm-up match

South Africa A squad for tour match against Australia: Khaya Zondo (capt), Theunis de Bruyn, Zubayr Hamza, Beuran Hendricks, Pieter Malan, Wiaan Mulder, Senuran Muthusamy, Duanne Olivier, Rudi Second, Malusi Siboto, Shaun von Berg.
First call-ups for Hamza, Malan, Muthusamy

StephenZA

Really strong side by today's standards for these sort of tour games.
With the weakness of the SA FC system,CSA try give all potential new/future SA players the best opportunity to prove and learn.... hopefully Hamza, Muthusamy, de Bruyn and Mulder take the opportunity.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
I'm hearing that Sayers has replaced Bird.
Sooking in the media pays off for Chadd. Hope you don't get tonked in the warm-up games now.

Yep but Khawaja and Smith could slide up the order to make way for him. Renshaw got dropped after a shorter patch of bad form than Bancroft has had. The mid season break messed up Renshaw's chance to push his way back into the team though.

If Australia lose the first two tests and Bancroft has had 4 failures his neck will be on the figurative chopping block.
I find it pretty annoying that a condition of getting dropped is the team losing. I mean, if they had the balls to drop him after the Ashes, then perhaps losing in the first Test in SA becomes more avoidable?

Bancroft hasn't looked remotely like a Test player since his second dig in the first Test and it is apparent that he regressed as the series went on. George Bailey got boned straight after a winning Ashes series with almost an identical record.

Last edited:

stephen

Sooking in the media pays off for Chadd. Hope you don't get tonked in the warm-up games now.

I find it pretty annoying that a condition of getting dropped is the team losing. I mean, if they had the balls to drop him after the Ashes, then perhaps losing in the first Test in SA becomes more avoidable?

Bancroft hasn't looked remotely like a Test player since his second dig in the first Test and it is apparent that he regressed as the series went on. George Bailey got boned straight after a winning Ashes series with almost an identical record.
But Bancroft has been in their long term plans for ages, which is why he's been given a long run. Tubbs was talking him up a few years back as the next big thing, before he went on his "I'm going to average 30 for the next three years" rampage.

Renshaw has looked much more like a proper test match opener in the short time he's been there. Was our second top run scorer in India and top scored in the first innings in Bangladesh (granted, it was only 45 but it was still our best score).

Gob

International Coach
Saw a bit of Al Cook in Renshaw myself. That being said you cannot pick him until he strings few scores.

stephen

Saw a bit of Al Cook in Renshaw myself. That being said you cannot pick him until he strings few scores.
Bancroft got picked on the back of two good shield games. He's had one pass mark and four failed tests since then. Didn't set the world on fire in his latest shield game either.

Renshaw has now hit two half centuries in his last two matches, which isn't setting the world on fire but he did face very difficult conditions in the most recent match. He was worth persisting with and I have no doubt that he'll be back in the runs soon enough, which will make the selectors look ridiculous when Bancroft fails in the first two South African tests and is dropped half way through the series.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I rate Renshaw, it would simply have been too soon to recall him for South Africa. Had no real scores of note at the time the squad was selected as selection had already occurred before the resumption of the Shield season. There were signs during the most recent game he is returning to form, but still more Shield runs under his belt are what is required to come back into calculations for the test team.

Still be a better option than promoting Shaun Marsh to open though.