• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guptill's not a very good Test opener. He's going to suck away from home, and he's going to suck at home too against quality opposition in favourable bowling conditions. When he comes up against Pattinson and Hazlewood on the first morning of a Test with the wicket doing a bit, I'm absolutely expecting him to fail. Honestly, 18 was a better return than I think you could regularly hope for.

However, that's not actually a compelling reason to drop him because the same is true of all the other candidates for his spot as well, and at least this incarnation of Guptill has shown signs to suggest he might score runs against weaker attacks in more favourable conditions. I think that's the best that can be expected out of the current crop of non-Latham openers. I like Papps and Brownlie but honestly, cycling through all the blokes in domestic cricket would achieve nothing other than giving up the sort of runs Guptill scored against Sri Lanka in a futile pursuit. If someone starts scoring absolutely massive runs in domestic and/or A-level cricket, or if a promising young opener comes along then sure, drop Guptill. Not a lot of point in doing so at the moment though IMO.
Perhaps one of the rare cases to consider of horses and courses approach based on the opposition you play as opposed to conditions per se.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there a story about Warner and Heineken light? Or is it the fans just taking the piss for no reason.
Someone who saw how much limelight the 'Warner loves Nickleback' sign got and tried to get their own slice. I like the premise behind it, given Heineken is weasel piss and Light must be even worse, but I'm also a big fan of originality. Especially when he doesn't drink.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Scott Styris said Latham had been 'outstanding' over the last 12 months...would be nice to get some impartiality.

Meridio

International Regular
That's frustrating. Was actually there to hit, genuine half volley, but it looked like he was late on it if anything.

Actually that's also a stunning catch, didn't quite realise it live with my 'tv' quality.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
So we're not scoring runs and we're not conserving wickets...

14 overs and 2 down with 23 on the board...

Time to admit our batsmen just aren't that good.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Put that Latham dismissal down to field settings. He couldn't score any runs and took Smith's bait by trying to drive into the empty gap at cover.