• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Guptill's not a very good Test opener. He's going to suck away from home, and he's going to suck at home too against quality opposition in favourable bowling conditions. When he comes up against Pattinson and Hazlewood on the first morning of a Test with the wicket doing a bit, I'm absolutely expecting him to fail. Honestly, 18 was a better return than I think you could regularly hope for.

However, that's not actually a compelling reason to drop him because the same is true of all the other candidates for his spot as well, and at least this incarnation of Guptill has shown signs to suggest he might score runs against weaker attacks in more favourable conditions. I think that's the best that can be expected out of the current crop of non-Latham openers. I like Papps and Brownlie but honestly, cycling through all the blokes in domestic cricket would achieve nothing other than giving up the sort of runs Guptill scored against Sri Lanka in a futile pursuit. If someone starts scoring absolutely massive runs in domestic and/or A-level cricket, or if a promising young opener comes along then sure, drop Guptill. Not a lot of point in doing so at the moment though IMO.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Brownlie did concentrate on opening; he's since had his worst season in about 10 years. Ben Smith must be close to being given a shot but I also think you look at some of our experienced openers in first class who are currently in form like Brad Wilson and give the guy a crack; he can't do worse than Rutherford, Fulton, Guptill.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Is anyone inside the team capable enough to open? Nicholls perhaps? I know that's going back to the dark ages of making middle order players top order batsmen but maybe that's what we need to do.

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah, Ben Smith probably the pick of the untried openers at FC level. Though I can't remember if he's ever been picked/done much at A level.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know enough about this lad, but I think aside from the record, it's more finding someone with the potential game of being able to get through the newball. It could end up being a FC player who's doesn't average much more than 36-37 but who exhibits the skills of being able to get through the new ball. ie. leave well & of course have the ability to play the ball late & with soft hands.

Meridio

International Regular
Williamson notably not looking to drive anything but the really full deliveries. Has dead batted quite a few balls that are slightly fuller than a good length so far.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I just hope these two make all this hard work count; I'm fine that we're not advancing the game at the moment but we can't afford to have a wicket fall every ten overs if our scoring rate is only two.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Don't know enough about this lad, but I think aside from the record, it's more finding someone with the potential game of being able to get through the newball. It could end up being a FC player who's doesn't average much more than 36-37 but who exhibits the skills of being able to get through the new ball. ie. leave well & of course have the ability to play the ball late & with soft hands.
we tend to call those players Blackcaps

Stace

First Class Debutant
Is there a story about Warner and Heineken light? Or is it the fans just taking the piss for no reason.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I just hope these two make all this hard work count; I'm fine that we're not advancing the game at the moment but we can't afford to have a wicket fall every ten overs if our scoring rate is only two.
Batting will definitely get easier later in the day. 2 or 3 down for 50 at lunch would be a decent effort IMO.

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah, similarly though we can't afford to try and push the scoring rate at the expense of risking wickets. Australia are bowling very accurately at the moment, they haven't really slid anything down leg/short and wide since the first couple of overs.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He's decent for all those things you mention

Here is scoring 82 in a warm up agains the mighty Sri Lankan attack

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, can't do much when the bowling is both accurate and threatening. Also these two are conscious of how much rests on their shoulders.

Really need to find a way of pushing the singles though.

Meridio

International Regular
Happy with that first hour, but there's a long way to go yet. It will get easier to bat as the shine wears off the ball, though I expect the pitch will keep doing something for quite a while.