• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Australia should have scored 300 today. (300/5 would have been better than 255/4, but at least its not 225/4). Australia played a bit too cautiously, which is understandable given the pitches prior to this match. If Head had got going, Australia would have definitely got 300+ today.

And I expect England to score another 80-90 runs on top (1 extra run per over) because that's how they play now. They don't freaking care about getting out! They could even be 380 all out at end of day 1. But they would definitely score the runs.
They don’t “definitely” score the runs.

I know they don’t care how they get out, but you are just assuming they will motor along, in India…

Pakistan and New Zealand is not India at home, I can just as easily claim they’d be 150 all out off 30 overs, which is probably much more likely.

Put it this way, Australia has the best batting lineup in the world at the moment and “only” scored 4/255, so what makes you think England would have done it?

As far as the game itself, with Khawaja, Green and Carey, there’s no reason Aus can’t end their innings with a perfectly fine RR of 3+

Spark

Global Moderator
Axar is obviously a good cricketer but he’d have to rely on his all round skills to play tests in most countries as he simply has no variety whatsoever in his bowling

Vastly different proposition when it’s ragging to facing him on a decent batting pitch
The thing is, he hasn't exactly looked that threatening on square turners either. Just a thoroughly underwhelming series from him.

Shri

Mr. Glass
axar has actually done an excellent job today. he should be given the new ball over jaddu because he might skid a few

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
They don’t “definitely” score the runs.

I know they don’t care how they get out, but you are just assuming they will motor along, in India…

Pakistan and New Zealand is not India at home, I can just as easily claim they’d be 150 all out off 30 overs, which is probably much more likely.

Put it this way, Australia has the best batting lineup in the world at the moment and “only” scored 4/255, so what makes you think England would have done it?

As far as the game itself, with Khawaja, Green and Carey, there’s no reason Aus can’t end their innings with a perfectly fine RR of 3+
If Australia can finish with a fine RR of 3+ in your opinion why can't England finish above 4 an over?

They could get bowed out for 250 but they could also get closer to 400 in a day in India on a flat pitch with minimal turn.

But India will not give them a pitch like this so this is all hypothetical. India is 2-1 ahead, hence why they have gone for this.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah just go out and slog Ashwin and Jadeja. So easy to score 4rpo against them on a slow wicket where you can't quite hit through the line of the ball with timing.

Honestly, some of the stuff you read...

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The thing is, he hasn't exactly looked that threatening on square turners either. Just a thoroughly underwhelming series from him.
It's crazy he's been given four Tests of a crucial series despite making zero impact in his primary skillset. The top order should hang themselves (figuratively); we're basically carrying one bowler on account of their ineptitude.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah just go out and slog Ashwin and Jadeja. So easy to score 4rpo against them on a slow wicket where you can't quite hit through the line of the ball with timing.

Honestly, some of the stuff you read...
KP and Cook batted at 4 rpo on proper turners against Indian spinners back in 2012, I am sure the current lot could at least replicate that scoring rate on a "flat" pitch when their whole ideology is about scoring fast and playing aggressively all the time.

Jadeja and Ashwin are great but they are not vastly superior to the previous generations on flat pitches! They hardly get on bowl on true roads of India. And against good teams they have conceded big scores on them like Bhaji and co used to.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
So I don't buy this talk about England scoring slow like Australia.

Australia is batting at 2 RPO against spinners and close to 4 RPO against pacers.

England would have gone at least 3 RPO against spinners and 6-7 RPO against pacers.

Net difference 100+ runs

Gob

International Coach
England could have tried bazballing and made 350 AO here (and I'm being very generous even assuming that they are going to succeed doing that on a slow pitch against this quality bowling), they will be letting India bat on the best batting conditions for the next two days
Australia can grind it out for two more sessions and get to 450 (not saying they will but they have given themselves a chance) and get more overs in to the pitch. Yeah wonder what is better

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If Smith alone had batted with a bit of intent and got his runs at SR of 50, Australia would be close to 300 today.

38 off 135
vs
38 off 75

No English batsman will bat super conservatively like him- '**** runs, don't want to get out at any cost'.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
This is the kind of pitch where I’m worried Iyer will thrive (after looking like a walking wicket so far this series).
Tbf he did really well in the second innings of the last test, took a blinder from usman to get rid off him.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If Smith alone had batted with a bit of intent and got his runs at SR of 50, Australia would be close to 300 today.

38 off 135
vs
38 off 75

No English batsman will bat super conservatively like him- '**** runs, don't want to get out at any cost'.
Gob explained it clearly. Rewards come with risks. If the aussie batsmen had tried to get more runs, they might have lost more wickets thereby losing the advantage they currently have.

Molehill

International Captain
The one time England got a similar pitch to this two years, they amassed 580 at pretty much exactly 3 an over. Root got a double ton at 58, but Sibley used up 286 balls to score 87. I think you'd see a lot more sweep shots than Australia, both normal and reverse, whether that brings about their downfall, who knows? But hard to imagine them not going at 4 an over on this pitch.