• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Steulen

International Regular
vic_orthdox said:
Once burned, twice shy.

That's the only possible excuse.
One of the Aussie selectors' less inspired recent choices. He was actually chosen as a first change seamer...

Still, hindsight is Twenty20, as they say.

Steulen

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
Symonds was selected as a batting allrounder, not a bowling allrounder as Watson was.
IIRC, the idea was that they would be playing with just two frontline seamers (Gillespie and Kasprowicz), and needed a first-change seambowler...so you could argue that for the Tests he was specifically included as a bowling allrounder.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PCA XI to play Australia on thursday:

Stephen Fleming (captain), Darren Maddy, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Paul Nixon (wkt), Chris Lewis, Graeme Swann, Mark Ealham, Shaun Udal, Chris Tremlett, Devon Malcolm.

Somewhat bowler heavy, I hope again that Australia bat first other wise it will be a short game even by Twenty20 standards.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
EnglishRose said:
I thgink Hayden is going to be Australia's leading run scorer in the Ashes.
you and your predictions mate, if its not him i would go for Ponting or Martyn

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
PCA XI to play Australia on thursday:

Stephen Fleming (captain), Darren Maddy, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Paul Nixon (wkt), Chris Lewis, Graeme Swann, Mark Ealham, Shaun Udal, Chris Tremlett, Devon Malcolm.

Somewhat bowler heavy, I hope again that Australia bat first other wise it will be a short game even by Twenty20 standards.
by the way what time is this game tomoro or should i say later today, since its a 20/20 i'm not so sure if the ground at arundel castle has lights because i am assuming the game is going to played into the evening hours

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
going back to the arguement on Watson i agree that it must be very frustrating for him to bat so low down in the order since he is basically a batting/all-rounder with some potential with the ball, similar to Freddie back in the days.

But lets look at the positive side of things, since Watson is getting to bowl more in ODI cricket that weaker side of his game is being developed with every game he plays in an aussie jumper, while his batting can improve more has with all aussie Batsmen, in the pura cup

Scaly piscine

aussie said:
by the way what time is this game tomoro or should i say later today, since its a 20/20 i'm not so sure if the ground at arundel castle has lights because i am assuming the game is going to played into the evening hours
5:30pm start, will be finished before by 8:30 and sunset is past 9 o'clock so shouldn't need lights.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
So when is the 20/20 game on in Aus Time?
Also please note that Aus has a new selector, Merv Hughes,whi is a huge wrap for watson and has stated publcly that J Hopes has a lot of work to do on his feilding and his stamina,,,however he will gain this only by playing i think.
Has Oz named their 20/20 side yet? 8-)

Attachments

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
starts at 2:30am on foxtel and runs through till 5:50am.....

should be a great match though - im certainly gonna get up and watch it :D:D:D

Mister Wright

age_master said:
starts at 2:30am on foxtel and runs through till 5:50am.....

should be a great match though - im certainly gonna get up and watch it :D:D:D
That's the 20/20 v England, they will not be showing the 'tour game' 20/20.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
That's the 20/20 v England, they will not be showing the 'tour game' 20/20.
Damnit, I got excited for a minute there.

The tour match should start around 3:30 am AEST, although of course it will only be on cricinfo. Maybe BBC Radio online?

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Damnit, I got excited for a minute there.

The tour match should start around 3:30 am AEST, although of course it will only be on cricinfo. Maybe BBC Radio online?
Yeah, until Foxtel get rid of that stupid 24 hour AFL channel and replace it with a 24 hour cricket channel it is unlikely we will ever get tour matches.

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
Mister Wright said:
Yeah, until Foxtel get rid of that stupid 24 hour AFL channel and replace it with a 24 hour cricket channel it is unlikely we will ever get tour matches.
Spot on there lad... It is annoying how theres an AFL channel, ok..granted it is Australia and it is their national sport, but come on Rupert, show some forsight! After all, his great adversary -Kerry Packer- is doing his bit on the channel nine network!
There is certainly money to be made from broadcasting cricket -be it an international or tour match- on television and for Foxtel's point of view it would entice people to join up.
I was most disappointed that the West Indies v Pakistan series was not shown on ANY foxtel channel, surely tennis or domestic rugby union must take a back seat.

BTW how did the World Championship 'Spelling Bee' make it on ESPN (SPORTS CHANNEL), since when has spelling been classified as a sport?
Come on Rupert, get your priorities right!

Mister Wright

BARMY_LAD said:
Spot on there lad... It is annoying how theres an AFL channel, ok..granted it is Australia and it is their national sport, but come on Rupert, show some forsight! After all, his great adversary -Kerry Packer- is doing his bit on the channel nine network!
There is certainly money to be made from broadcasting cricket -be it an international or tour match- on television and for Foxtel's point of view it would entice people to join up.
I was most disappointed that the West Indies v Pakistan series was not shown on ANY foxtel channel, surely tennis or domestic rugby union must take a back seat.

BTW how did the World Championship 'Spelling Bee' make it on ESPN (SPORTS CHANNEL), since when has spelling been classified as a sport?
Come on Rupert, get your priorities right!
Yeah, although I've got no problem with the tennis majors being shown on Foxtel. But surely given that Cricket is a much more world wide sport than AFL it deserves it's own channel. International matches, tour matches and the Pura Cup & ING games that channel 9 does not show and county cricket, plenty of opportunity there to cover 24 hours.

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
Sheffield Shield games used to be covered by Optus and C7 but that fell through... Although I do agree with you on televising 'Shield' games I doubt that there will be too many viewers... It's hard enough to get people through the gates, if it were to be televised then the crowds would go from a couple of hundred to just a handful... We need to try and recruit foreign players to Australia, merely to draw in the crowds. If it were possible to get an Andrew Flintoff or even a semi-retired Chris Cairns they would surely be a crowd puller.