• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Harmison isn't a certain pick, neither is Batty. There's also Simon J in the equation.
Simon Jones has a massive List-A bowling average, which may limit his chances of making the starting lineup.

tooextracool

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
I just hope I never again hear complaints from the English about parochial Aussie commentary though - how about David Lloyd's performance? "Smack 'im!!"... "You call these guys pros, Darren???". I don't remember him being so like that before - it was worse than Ian Smith. 8-)

Actually, scratch that, it wasn't. But it was almost as bad.
i love this one:
"Could these men in yellow shirts be Derbyshire in disguise?"
~ http://sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...ick.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=133138

tooextracool

International Coach
King_Ponting said:
Im sure they did. Although i dont think Lee will hold anything bak next time he bowls to Flintoff...... Needs to get him bak for those short deliveries at him.
from what i gather, lee tested flintoff with the short stuff when he came out to bat, so it was more a taste of his own medicine, albeit a more severe taste.

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
Simon Jones has a massive List-A bowling average, which may limit his chances of making the starting lineup.
i cant see any reason why he shouldnt be selected, when he was quite brilliant in the warm up game against hampshire.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Arjun said:
The Jones that got that average is nothing like the Jones we have today, he's 10x more accurate than he was when he first started playing.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
indeed, i can see England not bothering to play Batty on thursday and playing Jones, Harmison, Gough and Lewis/Ali, and then making a decision against the Aussies based on the pitch.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It seems like Lewis will be picked after his excellent 20/20 debut. Gough is a certainty, as is Flintoff. I certainly can't see Collingwood getting left out either.

So...
Trescothick
Jones
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Strauss
Collingwood
Lewis
Gough
Jones
Harmison

Something like that? It's also possible one of Jones and Harmison will miss out, and Solanki will play with Collingwood and Vaughan making up 10? That would seem a pretty daft move though, the above side looks fairly solid.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My favourite comment on the 20/20 thus far has come from The Mirror's Mike Walters:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_ob...eid=94762&headline=you-sheilas-name_page.html

He says,

To describe Australia's four-man pace attack as pie-throwers at such an early stage of their tour would be premature, not to mention a red rag. But Gillespie, Lee, McGrath and Mike Kasprowicz shipped 139 runs in just 14 overs between them, and Messrs Pukka, Kipling, Bentos and Ginster could scarcely have fared any worse. :D

After the pie-chucking accusations we've had from the cheaper Antipodean seats over the years it's nice to be able to give a bit back, however tongue-in-cheek. ;)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
It seems like Lewis will be picked after his excellent 20/20 debut. Gough is a certainty, as is Flintoff. I certainly can't see Collingwood getting left out either.

So...
Trescothick
Jones
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Strauss
Collingwood
Lewis
Gough
Jones
Harmison

Something like that? It's also possible one of Jones and Harmison will miss out, and Solanki will play with Collingwood and Vaughan making up 10? That would seem a pretty daft move though, the above side looks fairly solid.
I think that's the side they will select - I'm hoping they'll see the ridicule in having Strauss as far down as six, though, and put Colly at six and Geraint at seven and push Strauss up to open.

Edit: Actually, they'll likely pick Batty over Simon Jones, because I can't remember the last time an England side went in without any spinners.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
I think that's the side they will select - I'm hoping they'll see the ridicule in having Strauss as far down as six, though, and put Colly at six and Geraint at seven and push Strauss up to open.

Edit: Actually, they'll likely pick Batty over Simon Jones, because I can't remember the last time an England side went in without any spinners.
Agreed on the first point, but I don't think they will. Jones will continue for open for now.

I think you might be right on the second one actually, especially considering that Batty can bat a bit and it would relieve some of the concerns about picking four "bowlers" - something very few ODI teams are willing to do these days.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah especially against Bangladesh - top seven will likely be as below - then 4 bowlers either batty and 3 pacemen or 4 pacemen

Tres
Gojo
Vaughan
Strauss
Fred
Skunk
Collie

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
ENGLAND ASHES CHAMPS FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean come on they beat Australia at a game of 20/20 which is so important. The ashes are going back to England.
i see you are located anywhere else other than reality. I think you should come over here mate :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah Lloyd was pretty poor. I'm looking forward to watching the tests on SBS when they get the Channel 4 feed... Richie, Boycott, Nicholas etc... no more Lloyd and Hussein.
yep i wonder who will be replacing Dermott reeve. But has you said a pannel of Benaud, Nicholas, Atherton, Boycott & another good addition would be a very nice Ashes commentary team

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:

So...
Trescothick
Jones
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Strauss
Collingwood
Lewis
Gough
Jones
Harmison

Strauss wont be batting so low, he'll be at 4 with Flintoff at 5 & K.P at six. But for the NWS opener i can see ENG playing Batty and then when they play australia on sunday they might rethink who to put in that position