• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Who.......is............Jonathan Lewis?
A county trundler who swings it a bit. He's really nothing special, if England suffer an injury Tremlett would be a much better choice imo.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
I did love the bit when Chris Cairns was summarising at about 60-7 and he asked the commentator to repeat the score as even though he was impartial he liked to hear it!
Wasn't it 88/7? Seem to remember that bit.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
FaaipDeOiad said:
A county trundler who swings it a bit. He's really nothing special, if England suffer an injury Tremlett would be a much better choice imo.

Agreed. His action reminds me a bit of Anderson. Call me crazy...

Craig

World Traveller
I'm disappionted in that I had to work all day today so I can't watch the match until Saturday when I have more then 3-4 hours free to watch it (I taped the game) and miss out on an exciting game. I finish early on Friday but I always have something planned on Friday arvo (and it is not at the pub).

Slow Love™

International Captain
Wow, that was a real "head flushed down the dunny" style humiliation. Hope I don't see that again for a while.

Hard to believe people are dismissing the result as meaningless, or saying the Aussies will blow this off. That would have really hurt the Aussies, and after losing convincingly to the poms in the Champions Trophy, they were probably primed to hand the English a cricketing lesson. When these things backfire, they really backfire. Nobody seemed willing to make the decision to back down a little and consolidate for an over or three.

Even as an Aussie supporter, you had to love Goughie's expression after his hat-trick ball bouncer to Symonds. He looked so pumped he might have wet himself. (I think Scallywag might have crapped in his pants at that very moment also, if he was watching, for entirely different reasons.)

Big psychological blow for England. We better put them back in their place in the Natwests.

One last thing (and it was irrelevant to the result of the match) - why did Ponting not allow Clarke and Symonds to bowl out their allotted overs?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke's last over had gone for 13 and Symonds' last over for 8, I guess Ponting was worried there might be a really big over (20+) coming if he kept them on and it'd be better to bowl the experienced pace bowlers and change the pace.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
One last thing (and it was irrelevant to the result of the match) - why did Ponting not allow Clarke and Symonds to bowl out their allotted overs?
Taking Clarke off was understandable, but Symonds was a shocking decision and a clear example of one-dimensional, narrow-minded captanicy on Ponting's part. he was clearly the perfect person for that situation and put in three wonderful overs, and he should have finished out, and Lee and McGrath could have shared the last 3.

Slow Love™

International Captain
OK, you guys have me partially convinced on Clarke - it felt like he'd been bowling better than that though. It's very hard to get a handle on what's a decent over in this Twenty/20 caper.

I just hope I never again hear complaints from the English about parochial Aussie commentary though - how about David Lloyd's performance? "Smack 'im!!"... "You call these guys pros, Darren???". I don't remember him being so like that before - it was worse than Ian Smith. 8-)

Actually, scratch that, it wasn't. But it was almost as bad.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Lloyd was pretty poor. I'm looking forward to watching the tests on SBS when they get the Channel 4 feed... Richie, Boycott, Nicholas etc... no more Lloyd and Hussein.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Yeah Bumble was a little embarrassing, nothing new there then. I was impressed by Darren though, he was one of those chaps I thought I'd dislike, but he came accross as a thoroughly decent fellow. Good to see Lee, Ponting,Strauss, Fred et al all chatting away at the end of the match; play it hard then have a beer mentality, good show. I wonder if McGrath and Athers' ever did that...

King_Ponting

International Regular
Im sure they did. Although i dont think Lee will hold anything bak next time he bowls to Flintoff...... Needs to get him bak for those short deliveries at him.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slow Love™ said:
OK, you guys have me partially convinced on Clarke - it felt like he'd been bowling better than that though. It's very hard to get a handle on what's a decent over in this Twenty/20 caper.

I just hope I never again hear complaints from the English about parochial Aussie commentary though - how about David Lloyd's performance? "Smack 'im!!"... "You call these guys pros, Darren???". I don't remember him being so like that before - it was worse than Ian Smith. 8-)

Actually, scratch that, it wasn't. But it was almost as bad.
Bumble just gets over-excited.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
He may be the fourth seamer, unless they choose Kabir Ali, who goes for lots of runs but picks up wickets regularly. The most certain selections are Gough, Harmison, Flintoff and the spinner. Who should be picked as the fourth seamer?

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Because it exists even less. In 20/20 cricket, if a bowler has it all over you, all you do is have to see out a few deliveries and they are out of the attack. In ODIs, you have to face them far longer, and if you keep stuggling against them you will either get out or severely hamper your team by being unable to score.
i can assure you that if you just 'see off' a bowler in 20-20 cricket, your team will be even more severely hampered than in ODIs, given that every over counts in 20-20 cricket. seriously how many times have we seen bowlers like vettori, flintoff, pollock, murali and the like 'seen off' in ODIs, only for the rest of the bowlers to be hammered all over the park on the way to 300+ totals?
and why do we need to have bowlers 'working out' batsmen? a successful test match or ODI bowler doesnt necessarily have to be a successful 20-20 bowler.