• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
Maybe Freddie remembers what Lee did to Tudor and/or doesn't like Lee anyway and wants to return the favour?

Or he's trying to rile Lee into bowling bouncers at him in the proper games which is one of Freddie's strongest areas.

I think I'd go with the first (not that I agree with it because I was a big critic of Lee when he did that) because Freddie's that kind of guy.
Considering it's unlikely Lee will play the proper games I'd say it's the former :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Right, less than half. Anyway, I'm not a fan of the format but I realise many people are. It doesn't suddenly make it an established international format of equal worth to ODIs.
It's also coming in in Australia next winter.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
andyc said:
unlucky for this team that the invincibles won all their twenty20 games, huh
Only one side has ever done that.

Therefore does that mean this England team are the invincibles? ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
There is a chance for batsmen who are not big hitters to play match-turning innings (a player like Michael Bevan would never have existed in 20 over cricket, for example). None of these things are true of 20/20.
Remind me again who scored the most runs this game?

Oh, that'd be Paul Collingwood, the man who nurdles.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jamee999 said:
I'd just like to point out- I'm not boasting in any way(I am really)

That England have beaten Australia in their last meeting in Tests, ODI's and Twenty 20.

There's no way we can keep that up all summer, is there? ;)
Quite possible actually - it's very possible the 3rd ODI will be a dead one after Aus win the first 2, and the 5th Test a dead one as it's 3-0, 3-1, 2-0 or 4-0 by then.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think this is all a case of the Aussies not really understanding the format just yet and not realising that the 20 is how many overs they face not how many balls they have for the game to be all but over.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
I forgot to mention that Pietersen getting the man of the match was... dubious. Seems Joe Public will vote for anyone, next they'll vote in Tony Bliar for the third time... oh dear.
What a joke - next you'll tell us Michael Jackson was acquitted.

Mister Wright

While I don't think this will be a major indication for the rest of the tour. I do think that the Aussie fans predicting a whitewash or a 4-1 win for Australia should realise it won't be that easy. While the Aussies should be too strong, they have to realise that the England team is playing with a lot of confidence, unlike previous Ashes contests, and that if the Aussies go lightly or get into an akward situation this England side will have the belief that they can win, because they have done it before. This result make the Ashes series even more exciting.

social

Anyone that saw Aus play NZ in the 20/20 would know that their only tactic was to slog from the outset.

Sometimes that approach works but on most occasions, as per today, it is doomed to failure.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
While I don't think this will be a major indication for the rest of the tour. I do think that the Aussie fans predicting a whitewash or a 4-1 win for Australia should realise it won't be that easy. While the Aussies should be too strong, they have to realise that the England team is playing with a lot of confidence, unlike previous Ashes contests, and that if the Aussies go lightly or get into an akward situation this England side will have the belief that they can win, because they have done it before. This result make the Ashes series even more exciting.
ahhh you have hit the nail on the head mate. Hence the name Mr.Wright :D

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Well... I`m ****ed off.

Mainly because I had no idea it was televised and partly `cause we lost. I think I`ll go cry.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Remind me again who scored the most runs this game?

Oh, that'd be Paul Collingwood, the man who nurdles.
That's one game, and Collingwood showed himself quite capable of going for the big shot. I don't know how watching that innings you could think he "nurdled".

Anyway, the point I was making was about the tactical approaches that the format allows. In 50 over cricket, there are many, in 20/20 cricket there really aren't. With the bat, you try and score off every ball. A single or a wicket if you happen to hit a fielder, and a boundary or a six if you don't. If you get out, it doesn't really matter unless you are already 5 down. With the ball, you bowl something different every delivery to try and keep the runs down, and little else is significant. The brilliance of someone like Michael Bevan would never have been seen in a format like 20/20, because there is only one match situation you are likely to find yourself in.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
One think I will say about this result, as Mister Wright said, it absolutely does build anticipation for the Ashes series. After watching England in this game and the Champions Trophy, as well as against SA and WI/NZ, I am convinced they are a side that can give Australia a real fight, like India have the last three series, Sri Lanka did last year, and New Zealand did a few years back. It's significantly increased my hopes for an absolute cracker of a series, and England deserve full credit for their massive improvement as a team in the last 18 to 24 months, and Vaughan for getting them together in such a fashion.

If Vaughan does manage to lead England to victory in the Ashes, he will surely go down as the greatest captain since Mark Taylor, and the best of his generation by a fair margin.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe Freddie remembers what Lee did to Tudor and/or doesn't like Lee anyway and wants to return the favour?

Or he's trying to rile Lee into bowling bouncers at him in the proper games which is one of Freddie's strongest areas.

I think I'd go with the first (not that I agree with it because I was a big critic of Lee when he did that) because Freddie's that kind of guy.
And the latter would be less likely because no batsman, no matter how confident they were on the hook/pull, would encourage a bowler to bowl that way when the ball is coming down at 150km/h and rising. Even a player as strong on the shot as Ricky Ponting wouldn't be that stupid.

Maybe it was a team statement; "we've got the guns too."

Blaze

Banned
ENGLAND ASHES CHAMPS FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean come on they beat Australia at a game of 20/20 which is so important. The ashes are going back to England.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
That's one game, and Collingwood showed himself quite capable of going for the big shot. I don't know how watching that innings you could think he "nurdled".
I'm talking about him in his career.

He's definitely not regarded as a big hitter.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I'm talking about him in his career.

He's definitely not regarded as a big hitter.
No, and in the long term I would expect players like Freddie, Pietersen, Symonds and Ponting to me more successful in the format.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Here's My prediction- (All scientifically worked out based on probabilities, weather, player comfort etc. Based on complex Mathematical prediction Model !! :D :laugh: )

20/20 - England.

Nat West Series - England 2-1(3 games v Australia)

Nat West challenge - Australia 3-0 ( 3 games)

Ashes - 5 Tests - 2-2 with a drawn Test !! Australia retain the Ashes !! :D
FaaipDeOiad said:
So, you think Bangladesh will make the final then?

Anyway, my tips:

20/20: Australia
NWS: Australia 7-0, England 3-4, Bangladesh 0-6.
NWC: Australia 2-1
Ashes: Australia 3-1
Current Standings - JASON - 1 point, FaaipDeOiad - Nil :laugh: :laugh: