• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

twctopcat

International Regular
Slow Love™ said:
There was an interesting article from Spanky Roebuck overnight regarding the possible elevation of Warne to the vice-captaincy over Gilchrist.

I know that a lot of people here rate Gilly very highly in terms of captaincy material (I don't really, although he's my second favorite player in the side), but I wonder how much truth there is in Roebuck's observations as to Ponting not being that interested in his input on the field?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/warne-in-need-of-promotion/2005/09/09/1125772694745.html
IMO Warne should be captain, but then again i think the guy should open as pinch hitter. He'd do better than Hayden!! :p

twctopcat

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
Similarly, all you Aussies who would like me to stay the hell away, send your spare tinnies, surfboards, loaves of bread, dead wombats or whatever it is you use as tokens of exchange and I'll see what I can do.
Lol :laugh:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Rain! Far out this is crap.

I really don`t even mind if we lose, I want to see good cricket.

PY

International Coach
I didn't think, at the start of this summer, that we'd be desparately missing Simon Jones from the attack.

A testament to how much of an effect he's had and how much he's improved in the past 6 months.

Watching an interview with Paul Collingwood, how much does he sound like Alan Shearer. :D

nick-o

State 12th Man
SJS said:
He needs TWO more to OVERTAKE Lillee. One more will bring him to 167 and at par with Dennis the Menace. By the way, Lillee took 29 games and this is Warne's 30th. Just a small statistic, not being quoted to make any point :)
Thanks SJS.

Probably won't do it on day 3, then... :D

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
"Dimwits" on the cover of that English paper Slater just showed. Too right. Langer and Hayden might be good batsmen but they seem to be as thick as bricks.

I am unbelievably %$^@(@)! with their decision to leave for bad light.

EDIT: Langer said at the end of yesterday something along the lines of "you cant play expecting that it will rain." Wish he had explained why

Last edited:

nick-o

State 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
Latest weather - it started raining in Dublin some time on Thursday evening (not sure when, I was in the pub) and when I finally got away Friday night at 9.30 pm (after a 3 hour delay) it was still pouring.
More than 24 hours in a pub, and it was only a three hour delay???

Reminds self: go out drinking with LE one day, when he's paying.

PY

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Really? Watching Slats out on the ground it looks like the rain is still coming down pretty steadily...
Mark Nicholas just said in the studio (which I don't think you get?) that it's not raining anymore and that's when play is due to start.

Was it the interview with Paul Collingwood because that was done over an hour ago. :)

PY

International Coach
PY said:
Mark Nicholas just said in the studio (which I don't think you get?) that it's not raining anymore and that's when play is due to start.

Was it the interview with Paul Collingwood because that was done over an hour ago. :)
That has been confirmed.

And he says should get full day of play though that could just be his waffling.

Slow Love™

International Captain
PY said:

Nah, it wasn't - Slater was talking about the tabloid headlines and was being interviewed by the guys at SBS out here.

But you are right, 'cause they just showed the covers off and the ground bathed in sun. The Slater bit must have been pre-taped - they're showing another one now with Atherton interviewing Gilchrist, and it's pouring in the background.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Nah, it wasn't - Slater was talking about the tabloid headlines and was being interviewed by the guys at SBS out here.

But you are right, 'cause they just showed the covers off and the ground bathed in sun. The Slater bit must have been pre-taped - they're showing another one now with Atherton interviewing Gilchrist, and it's pouring in the background.
Yeah, they always tape the Slater interview an hour or two before the coverage starts. It rained this morning in London but stopped an hour or so ago.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Scattered/intermittant showers throughout the aaaaaarrvo, forcast. Anyone fancy a declaration behind, then let Warne at us? Not inconceivable, although really if they get a move on Aus should make parity at least.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I don't agree with the decision to go off for the light last night at all - but Dean Jones just said "I have yet to see a batsman get out to bad light". 8-)

And he ended his tirade with "and THAT'S the bottom... thing".

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
nick-o said:
More than 24 hours in a pub, and it was only a three hour delay???

Reminds self: go out drinking with LE one day, when he's paying.
I KNEW someone would pick up on my lack of clarity :D

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pedro Delgado said:
Scattered/intermittant showers throughout the aaaaaarrvo, forcast. Anyone fancy a declaration behind, then let Warne at us? Not inconceivable, although really if they get a move on Aus should make parity at least.
I find that inconceivable. I cant work out the logic behind it.