• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't really think that's fair. I tell people to shut up and get over it when they pretend it's some sort of gigantic conspiricy against their country/in favour of a country they don't like, or when they accuse the umpires of cheating. Saying "oh that was a terrible decision" is completely fine as far as I'm concerned, even though yes they do tend to even out in the end. Australia have had the worst of the umpiring calls in this series by a fair margin, and there's no real problem with pointing that out.
Who says this is all about you? Don't be so defensive.

But really, they don't even out, and that argument has always been nonsensical.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Who says this is all about you? Don't be so defensive.

But really, they don't even out, and that argument has always been nonsensical.
I'm not suggesting it is. I think most of the Australian fans (obviously there are exceptions) on here are in the same boat.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
I certainly don't think they're cheating or anything of the sort, and some of the errors are understandable, but if the batsman swings and the only possible thing it could have hit was the bat and there's a noise and every single fielder goes up... there's no real excuse for that.
I wasnt implying that they were cheating.

I was simply saying that the ICC demands neutral umpires so as to remove any doubt as to impartiality.

Unfortunately, we are left with Bucknor and Rudi who are simply downright poor.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
First thought was that was doing too much. Odd that Warne's got two 50/50 lbw shouts his way this series after everything in the first four tests went against him. The Bell one was out and this one wasn't, but they're both things Warne usually goes up for and wasn't getting earlier in the series.

Scaly piscine

FaaipDeOiad said:
First thought was that was doing too much. Odd that Warne's got two 50/50 lbw shouts his way this series after everything in the first four tests went against him. The Bell one was out and this one wasn't, but they're both things Warne usually goes up for and wasn't getting earlier in the series.
No way that last one was 50/50. The usual 'Australia aren't getting the decisions blah blah' guff continues.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm not suggesting it is. I think most of the Australian fans (obviously there are exceptions) on here are in the same boat.
Mate, Pakistanis and New Zealanders who complained at atrocious decisions that went against them in the Pak vs Aus and NZ vs Aus threads generally copped exactly the kind of reaction I'm describing. I remember even myself, as an Aussie supporter no less, copped it now and then from other Australian supporters when criticizing bad decisions, which I consider just as valid as people's numerous criticisms of players in threads.

If anything, the Poms this series have probably not been quite as loud and condemning as the Aussies were, although they're certainly as likely to downplay how bad singular decisions were in their favor, or their importance in the context of the match. I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out an imbalance in decisions either, but clearly there was something terribly wrong with it when Pakistan fans did it.

But as to the evening up argument - can't you see how farcical it is to claim that when you acknowledge (in the very same sentence) that "Australia have had the worst of the umpiring calls in this series by a fair margin". How could both be true? It's completely illogical.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
wpdavid said:
I missed it. What happened this morning?
You missed it? I`ve been whinging for the last hour! :p

Bad decisions by the umpires, streaky shots, inside edges, a dropped catch, and literally 30-odd play and misses.

social

Scaly piscine said:
No way that last one was 50/50. The usual 'Australia aren't getting the decisions blah blah' guff continues.
Quite happy to admit weve been outplayed in 3 of the 4 tests to date but please dont even try and suggest that Eng havent been massively favoured by decisions in this series.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Scaly piscine said:
Yeah, that was a dodgy decision. But you can hardly complain with the luck you`ve had in the last hour.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
You missed it? I`ve been whinging for the last hour! :p

Bad decisions by the umpires, streaky shots, inside edges, a dropped catch, and literally 30-odd play and misses.
Never mind mate, England are still miles short of what they should have made. Barring a rare contribution from our opening bowlers, you're well set for a sizeable lead.

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Far be it for me to stir the pot, but I think Billy's trying to make sure this is an exciting game :) I'm sure he has also been influenced by some of the ones Warne hasn't been given earlier in the series. When the SAfrican's were moaning about a whole load that Smith wasn't given vs Thorpe last winter he actually publicly said that he wanted to see the video replays at the end of the days play the implication being that his eyes were deceiving him and he wanted to rethink his decision processes.