• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Poor.

This is frustrating.

And does anyone else not give a flying fahijta about reverse swing? Get over it!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
I dunno... a start and then he'll get out to Flintoff. 30 maybe.
He should look fairly comfortable for the first 5 overs while the lacquer is on, then if it swings like the ball has done this morning I can't see him lasting long.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
The umpiring this series. For crying out loud.

Warne to come on. Not much doubt when you clean bowl `em Warnie...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Interesting to see the English always quiet when this is going on.

And that wide! This isn`t ODI cricket.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dont blame Ponting for going off there.

At some point these umpires have to be made accountable for the no. of errors they're making.

If too old or incompetent, sack them. Dont simply be satisfied that theyre not cheating because theyre neutral.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath's been excellent this morning. A wicket, a drop, a wicket which wasn't given and he's beaten the bat about 20 times. If he bowls like this again in the second innings I think he'll do well.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
social said:

At some point these umpires have to be made accountable for the no. of errors they're making.

If too old or incompetent, sack them. Dont simply be satisfied that theyre not cheating because theyre neutral.
I certainly don't think they're cheating or anything of the sort, and some of the errors are understandable, but if the batsman swings and the only possible thing it could have hit was the bat and there's a noise and every single fielder goes up... there's no real excuse for that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Vettori, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Giles. Isnt there somethin Indian bowlers need to learn from these guys as far as pulling ones weight is concerned.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Nnanden said:
Interesting to see the English always quiet when this is going on.
Well, the problem with this whole debate has always been it's parochial nature. When the Aussies were getting the benefit of decisions against Pakistan and NZ, the Aussie supporters were all "oh shut up and get over it". Or "it all evens out in the end". Now, the Australians are complaining and the Poms are all "oh shut up and get over it". Whomever suffers it complains, and whomever benefits thinks it's all imaginary. And as we can see from the Aussies, these hats can change pretty quickly.

When we can get past all this and acknowledge that the technology has reached the point that it's becoming intolerable to put up with these kinds of mistakes, whoever benefits, we might see a more reasonable perspective.

Slow Love™

International Captain
social said:

Apart from further incorporation of technology (which is probably inevitable), we really need a bigger pool of umpires in the international panel. Because without that, there just aren't enough umpires around for umpires like Bucknor, Koetzen etc to be temporarily demoted, let alone sacked.

Slow Love™

International Captain
If they can add another 25 runs or more here with Harmison swinging wildly, it'll really hurt. Come on guys, knock 'em over.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Well, the problem with this whole debate has always been it's parochial nature. When the Aussies were getting the benefit of decisions against Pakistan and NZ, the Aussie supporters were all "oh shut up and get over it". Or "it all evens out in the end". Now, the Australians are complaining and the Poms are all "oh shut up and get over it". Whomever suffers it complains, and whomever benefits thinks it's all imaginary. And as we can see from the Aussies, these hats can change pretty quickly.

When we can get past all this and acknowledge that the technology has reached the point that it's becoming intolerable to put up with these kinds of mistakes, whoever benefits, we might see a more reasonable perspective.
I don't really think that's fair. I tell people to shut up and get over it when they pretend it's some sort of gigantic conspiricy against their country/in favour of a country they don't like, or when they accuse the umpires of cheating. Saying "oh that was a terrible decision" is completely fine as far as I'm concerned, even though yes they do tend to even out in the end. Australia have had the worst of the umpiring calls in this series by a fair margin, and there's no real problem with pointing that out.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Someone tell me the play and miss total this morning. Not to mention the decisions, the inside-edges, etc. It hurts.