• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bit of reverse for Tait, Jack is quite right. If he keeps getting it to go and a wicket falls soon, it could be really tough for Collingwood and Jones coming in facing that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Bit of reverse for Tait, Jack is quite right. If he keeps getting it to go and a wicket falls soon, it could be really tough for Collingwood and Jones coming in facing that.
I'm tipping Tony Greig to mention it in about 4 overs time. :sleep: After referring to it as movement off the seam three times before that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
10 minutes until tea now. Very important period, a wicket would swing it back Australia's way, but if England can go in 4 down they'd be very pleased.

Slow Love™

International Captain
LOL, who was it that said that Goochy talked and looked just like Baldrick from Blackadder in those Advanced Hair ads? It haunts me every time I see it now... :)

Not much going on here in the match, although it would have been interesting if Strauss had missed that little faster one from Katich just now.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chalky said:
Nothing wrong with Hartlepool :)
I love that whole area - and what endears me to the people is a carefree, 'no worries' attitude that almost makes you Aussie in your outlook.

I reckon S_P must have been born in Surrey and moved there.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still pretty even.

Strauss has done well but he's really ridden his luck.

Flintoff is always dangerous.

Like virtually every other session in every other test this year, the next one is vital.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Is Warney made to look better by the English batsmen?

Well, they never use their feet against him. They try to play him off the back foot, which is a huge risk if you cannot pick him off his hand. To play great spinners well, you need to use your feet. Like Warney bowling one googly can sow doubts into the batters' heads, a batter using his feet even once can sow doubts into Warney's heads. And it is not like everytime u use ur feet, u have to tonk him for 6. Use your feet to get to the pitch of the ball and the single becomes so much easier. Also, u can drive more freely as well as you are negating the turn. And once that happens, you can also start to put doubts into his head by plonking your front foot down, giving him the impression that u are gonna come down the track. He will then drag it down, and if you are good enough, u can go back after that and cut or pull the ball. I cannot believe the Englishmen are so hopeless against him. The way they play him, he looks like getting a wicket every ball. Paul Allott hit the nail on the head, I think. No one is going to stop him from getting wickets, but what you can do is make sure you get a lot of runs in between those wickets, not necessarily in 4s and 6s, but even in 1s and 2s.

social

luckyeddie said:
I love that whole area - and what endears me to the people is a carefree, 'no worries' attitude that almost makes you Aussie in your outlook.

Hey, I lived in Surrey for 3 years.

Dont tar my home away from home with that brush.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Knopfler said:
If im correct (im not far off) Warne came on in the 12th over. For the first innings of a test on a belter, that is pretty extraordinary. Im not saying it was a hard decision, just a very uncommon one.
Yes, but Tait and Lee were bowling tripe, and McGrath was on at the other end, so it wasn't that hard a choice.

Scaly piscine

luckyeddie said:

Obviously haven't bumped into any football fans then.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
Well, they never use their feet against him. They try to play him off the back foot, which is a huge risk if you cannot pick him off his hand. To play great spinners well, you need to use your feet. Like Warney bowling one googly can sow doubts into the batters' heads, a batter using his feet even once can sow doubts into Warney's heads. And it is not like everytime u use ur feet, u have to tonk him for 6. Use your feet to get to the pitch of the ball and the single becomes so much easier. Also, u can drive more freely as well as you are negating the turn. And once that happens, you can also start to put doubts into his head by plonking your front foot down, giving him the impression that u are gonna come down the track. He will then drag it down, and if you are good enough, u can go back after that and cut or pull the ball. I cannot believe the Englishmen are so hopeless against him. The way they play him, he looks like getting a wicket every ball. Paul Allott hit the nail on the head, I think. No one is going to stop him from getting wickets, but what you can do is make sure you get a lot of runs in between those wickets, not necessarily in 4s and 6s, but even in 1s and 2s.
Today is a lot harder to do something like that, because he's bowling a lot quicker with a lot more overspin. But in essence, yes. The English's problem with using their feet, as described in what you've posted, is that it always has to be an ultra-attacking move, a way of hitting a boundary, as opposed to just disturbing his length and pushing for a single.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
Hey, I lived in Surrey for 3 years.

Dont tar my home away from home with that brush.
Well, no-one can ever accuse you of being a pessimist - you're always convinced that the Aussies will come good in the next session, so it must be a specific bit of Surrey.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
vic_orthdox said:
Today is a lot harder to do something like that, because he's bowling a lot quicker with a lot more overspin. But in essence, yes. The English's problem with using their feet, as described in what you've posted, is that it always has to be an ultra-attacking move, a way of hitting a boundary, as opposed to just disturbing his length and pushing for a single.
If they can use their feet to McGrath, surely they can do it to Warne, however quick he may be bowling. :D

social

marc71178 said:
No, dumb would've been to weaken the batting any further when it is already looking shaky.
If a supposedly world-class batting line-up cant score runs against Harmy, Hoggard, Flintoff and Giles then .......

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
LOL, who was it that said that Goochy talked and looked just like Baldrick from Blackadder in those Advanced Hair ads? It haunts me every time I see it now... :)
That was me, and I'm the same. Even the way he lifts his head triumphantly as he speaks... Baldrick all the way.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
Flintoff is always dangerous.
What is everyone's view of Flintoff as a Test number 6 now?

Before the series there was a lot of talk that he's not a good enough batsman for that position, but I'd wager that opinions have changed now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
If a supposedly world-class batting line-up cant score runs against Harmy, Hoggard, Flintoff and Giles then .......
Well the evidence of the first 4 Tests suggests that they're struggling to do so.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
Obviously haven't bumped into any football fans then.
Only those from Darlington, Hartlepool and Middlesbrough on a regular basis last year. They did reckon in Redcar that the Newkybroons and the Sunnerlund fans were a bit morbid, but only the kids.

Those of my age and older were happy to talk of the Wor Jackies and Bob Stokoes of this world. Give them a beer and they were happy. Turn your back and they'd steal your beer too, and then they were happier still - just like Aussies.