• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ahh well, was probably to be expected. The choice is there between Collingwood and Anderson now I guess. I'm guessing most here would rather Collingwood?
I prefer the positive approach - I'd go with Anderson

Barney Rubble

International Coach
This is very unlike me, but I would go for Anderson. Jimmy A has proved he's got the temperament to succeed when thrown in at the deep end in the past - he just has to take this game as it comes and not get overawed by the occasion.

Yes, there is the possibility that he might get spanked - but he's always been the sort of bowler that is just as likely to take 0-100 as he is to take 5-50, so he could be the surprise package. His knack of taking important wickets with bad balls could come in handy too. I'm getting visions of Ponting spooning a wide long-hop to gully.

Five bowlers has served England well for years - if we go to 4 bowlers now, the bowlers will be conscious of the pressure on them. Not to mention the fact that we will be relying on Giles to take wickets instead of just contain, and that might not be effective.

Bottom line is, Anderson may not run through the Australian batting line-up like Jones, but as long as he delivers a decent performance, England still have what it takes to win.

twctopcat

International Regular
Barney Rubble said:
Yes, there is the possibility that he might get spanked - but he's always been the sort of bowler that is just as likely to take 0-100 as he is to take 5-50, so he could be the surprise package. His knack of taking important wickets with bad balls could come in handy too. I'm getting visions of Ponting spooning a wide long-hop to gully.
My thoughts exactly, caught on the boundary etc.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Yes, picking Colly is a "going for the draw" choice. I prefer the England that tries to take twenty wickets, the England that has been so successful during the last two years. Lets take them on again. If we lose, we'll go down fighting, say chapeau to the Aussies then all get bladdered.

simmy

International Regular
Well... seems obvious that picking Collingwood is a negative move. You can assume that their will be a hell of a lot of rain: http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/UKXX0085?x=0&y=0

So playing an extra batsmen (who is gutsy and already taking the fight to the Aussies this Summer) would make it even harder for the Aussies to get a win, as England are that much harder to bowl out.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson will be handy if he gets it to swing, there's no doubt about that. If he doesn't though, and Hoggard also isn't swinging it, and there isn't a heap of rough for Giles because it's relatively early in the match... England might well run into some problems. Freddie can only bowl from one end.

It will certainly put pressure on one of Hoggard or Harmison to have a good match, either way.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
simmy said:
Well... seems obvious that picking Collingwood is a negative move. You can assume that their will be a hell of a lot of rain: http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/UKXX0085?x=0&y=0

So playing an extra batsmen (who is gutsy and already taking the fight to the Aussies this Summer) would make it even harder for the Aussies to get a win, as England are that much harder to bowl out.
Great, rain forecast for every day of the match. :@

simmy

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Anderson will be handy if he gets it to swing, there's no doubt about that. If he doesn't though, and Hoggard also isn't swinging it, and there isn't a heap of rough for Giles because it's relatively early in the match... England might well run into some problems. Freddie can only bowl from one end.

It will certainly put pressure on one of Hoggard or Harmison to have a good match, either way.
Without a doubt... but the probability of Anderson and Hoggard swinging it in these humid and rainy condition go up 5 fold.

I'm sorry to be negative again towards the Aussies but I just cant see this game ending with an Aus win. Not with this rain forecast anyway. :p

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Great, rain forecast for every day of the match. :@
Yeah right. I don't believe it. Some showers Thurs aft and Fri morning is the real forcast...

"That is the view of BBC weatherman John Kettley, who uses his own BBC Micro computer system to track weather systems."

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Yeah right. I don't believe it. Some showers Thurs aft and Fri morning is the real forcast...

"That is the view of BBC weatherman John Kettley, who uses his own BBC Micro computer system to track weather systems."
Hope so. I know it will sound like sour grapes, but I'd be really annoyed if rain ruins the final match, and not just because Australia would lose the series either.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
twctopcat said:
There's always the inswinging yorker he's developed.... :eek:
For inswinging yorker read leg-stump long hop.

What price both Collingwood and Anderson playing and Bell missing out? (Jack...)

Weatherwise, I'd suggest you all go here throughout.

shaka

International Regular
I reckon drop Bell and place Collingwood, more options with him there, as I think he can bowl too.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ahh well, was probably to be expected. The choice is there between Collingwood and Anderson now I guess. I'm guessing most here would rather Collingwood?
As an Aus, I would.

Collingwood is barely a change bowler and not test-class with the bat.

Please select him.