• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adamc said:
It was a pretty ordinary attack (Nel and Irani being the only ones averaging under 30, and Irani didn't bowl) and a very flat pitch. Essex scored 500 the previous day as well, so it's not as though Australia did anything particularly special.
The advantage of being captain.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mister Wright said:
Looking at the highlights just now, he looked to have sorted out his technique. I know the pitch was a road, but he has been playing away from his body in the tests, but from what I saw, he was waiting for the ball and getting in good position...We'll soon see.
But his front foot problems will still remain, whether he plays away from his body or not. I see him as a prime LBW candidate, and I won't think twice about giving the new ball to Jones ahead of Harmison, provided Jones can produce the outswing with the new ball, like Hoggard does.

simmy

International Regular
honestbharani said:
But his front foot problems will still remain, whether he plays away from his body or not. I see him as a prime LBW candidate, and I won't think twice about giving the new ball to Jones ahead of Harmison, provided Jones can produce the outswing with the new ball, like Hoggard does.
Well if Jones can... and sure enough in time he will be taking the new ball, then surely there is no need for Hoggard?

The last test aside... he had bowled the new ball spell and then just fielded all day! If Jones can do that then is it fair to say that Hoggard is surplus to requirements?

Collingwood coming in at 5,6 or 7 would mean that G.Jones comes in at 8... and that is seriously strong batting line up.

He can also share some of the bowling to give Jones and co a rest.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Clark called up again by Aus. Didn't McGrath declare himself fit at the weekend? Whatever. This chap is a "similar style of bowler" to Glenn apparantly, so I'm expecting 6-53 come the Oval Test!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
simmy said:
OK cheers fella.
You've just been given a lesson in 'advanced flaming' there too.

Note how I posted an extremely insulting message?
You responded, but you didn't quote me.
I then deleted the original extremely insulting message, thus if it had been a proper insult and you had responded in kind, it would have made you look like the instigator and I would have (as always) looked quite the innocent. :angel:

howardj

International Coach
All this talk about Australia needing to play five bowlers, is a little uncalled for. I think Australia's problem has not been taking English wickets, but rather the number of runs we have conceded between taking the wickets. It's not as though Australia have been labouring in the field, struggling to knock the Poms over. In terms of overs, we are actually knocking England over fairly quickly. However, in between 'wicket balls' we're simply not landing enough deliveries in the same spot.

I've never seen Australia bowl two sides of the wicket so much. Of course, I'm not so dismissive of England as to overlook the possibility that their aggressive batsmanship has contributed to our waywardness (through pressure), but I think, even allowing for that, Australia have been too scatter-gun with their deliveries. It's this problem, rather than our inability to take wickets, that should occupy the mind of both the selectors and the bowlers themselves in the lead up to Thursday.

reverseswing

Cricket Spectator
Pedro Delgado said:
Clark called up again by Aus. Didn't McGrath declare himself fit at the weekend? Whatever. This chap is a "similar style of bowler" to Glenn apparantly, so I'm expecting 6-53 come the Oval Test!!
I hope he never plays for Aus ever.

reverseswing

Cricket Spectator
I hope Watson gets a call up. He will play eventually so why not just throw him in there

Hayden has to go. And I reckon Martyn will retire at the end of the Aus summer

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pedro Delgado said:
From the mixed messages coming from the Oz camp I think Glenn is probably a bit more confident of his playing on Thursday than Alcott is. A report I read in the Guardian today said that McGrath bowled 6 overs in the nets on Sunday but was "shaking out his right arn after each delivery".

I don't doubt he'll be absolutely desperate to play (it'd certainly be his last test over here), but if he's less than 100% I think Alcott may hold him back after the way OT went.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
From the mixed messages coming from the Oz camp I think Glenn is probably a bit more confident of his playing on Thursday than Alcott is. A report I read in the Guardian today said that McGrath bowled 6 overs in the nets on Sunday but was "shaking out his right arn after each delivery".

I don't doubt he'll be absolutely desperate to play (it'd certainly be his last test over here), but if he's less than 100% I think Alcott may hold him back after the way OT went.
Yeah, sad for Pidgeon if that is the case. Might take a lorry load of pigs to stop him playing though. I wonder if the elbow injury arose because of over-compensating due to the foot injury? I know little of bowling so can only guess.

Anyhoo, with Clark being called up the management must be a little worried about Glenn.

I'm starting to think the Aussie tour bus must have run over a few black cats during the trip back from Lord's.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
d) England have been far and away the better side over 3 consecutive test matches

definatley, but Australia is still in a position to draw the series, which says something about both teams

greg

International Debutant
age_master said:
definatley, but Australia is still in a position to draw the series, which says something about both teams
It says little about both teams. It does however say that the laws of mathematics cannot be easily overcome.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
It means Australia were lucky to get away with a draw in the second test.

twctopcat

International Regular
Without wishing to tempt fate (touching wood as i type), Mcgrath won't be the difference between england drawing and reclaiming these ashes, but Warney. Which is pretty much the case for the whole series. What a player.