• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I apologise humbly if this has been mentioned already.
There is a rumour going around the press that if Simon Jones plays in the last Test but suffers a recurrence of his injury Ricky Ponting and the umpires would refuse to allow a substitute fielder on. I believe that would be correct under the rules, but I don't think the rule would be invoked.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lillian Thomson said:
There is a rumour going around the press that if Simon Jones plays in the last Test but suffers a recurrence of his injury Ricky Ponting and the umpires would refuse to allow a substitute fielder on. I believe that would be correct under the rules, but I don't think the rule would be invoked.
I think there is some injunction about "existing injuries". I seem to recall an "and finally" story about a pregnant woman being refused a runner in Danish cricket because she was in that condition at the start of the game! :p

Find the story v hard to believe tho.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:
Surely a recurrence of an injury isn't the same as carrying an injury.

cameeel

International Captain
It depends, if a bowler comes into the match under an injury cloud, he could be deemed to have carried an injury into the match

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cameeel said:
It depends, if a bowler comes into the match under an injury cloud, he could be deemed to have carried an injury into the match
If Jones or McGrath broke down in the next test with similar injuries, the respective captains would be well within their rights to refuse substitutes.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i cant see this happening actually. for one thing even if england were to win this series, they still wont be considered the best test team in the world, they would still have a fair bit more work to do. obviously the other big goal from here is winning the WC in 2007, so theres more than enough things to keep this england side motivated.
Officially, England won't be the best in the world but They, like the Aussies in the last two years, have beaten just about everyone else they've played so if they knock off the Aussies in this series, then the will deserve the 'unofficial' world champion status.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
i would have thought so, unless hes flying here first, not sure why he would do that though
According to media reports, he is flying to Aus first.

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
Lillian Thomson said:
See what rickys whining has now done. He somehow bribes umpires to change rules in my opinion

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Officially, England won't be the best in the world but They, like the Aussies in the last two years, have beaten just about everyone else they've played so if they knock off the Aussies in this series, then the will deserve the 'unofficial' world champion status.
england would have no chance against australia in aus or india in india. I think australia have lost recently because of the decision to bowl in the second test. The fact is that australia smashed england in the first test because they batted first and england just won the next two because of batting first. see its all about the coin toss

Englands team is not better than the aussies in any department

Last edited:

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
and as for flintoff being the best in the world hahahahahahahaha. He is nothing compared to murali, warne, gilchrist, tendulkar, dravid or lara. Gilchrist is the best in my opinion and if mcgrath played in the last test flintoff would have had no chance for a century. The fact is he plays at everything even if it is pitched on off and swinging away. Maybe if he was a little selective he could be better maybe even the best. I personally think he cannot control himself and i probably would end up with a career batting average of about 36 and bowling average of 28 which is not bad but clearly not the best

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
its funny that he is patient with his bowling always bowling a consistant line but with his batting he cannot leave good deliveries

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
krishneelz said:
and as for flintoff being the best in the world hahahahahahahaha. He is nothing compared to murali, warne, gilchrist, tendulkar, dravid or lara. Gilchrist is the best in my opinion and if mcgrath played in the last test flintoff would have had no chance for a century. The fact is he plays at everything even if it is pitched on off and swinging away. Maybe if he was a little selective he could be better maybe even the best. I personally think he cannot control himself and i probably would end up with a career batting average of about 36 and bowling average of 28 which is not bad but clearly not the best
Few better over the same period he'll have played though, and thats all that matters. Not how he ranks over past players.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
krishneelz said:
See what rickys whining has now done. He somehow bribes umpires to change rules in my opinion
Err, how have the rules been changed? It's always been the rule that if you carry an existing injury into a match you don't get a runner or a sub.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
I think they will have closed the gap, but won't really be unnofficial world champions until they are competitive against Australia at home or Australia start getting beaten by some other sides.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Please God..please

I have a sneaking (uncomfortable) suspicion (fear) that the Aussies will come back and take away all the pleasure we are currently driving from their predicament.

I have nothing against them and am a great admirer for the pleasure that they have given (not their fault if opponents have been found wanting). Almost all the top tests/series of recent years have been those where opponents have shown some fight against them. We need to thank Aussies for that more than the others.

BUT..

I do pray, for the sake of everyone, including Australian cricket, that they lose the Ashes this time. It can only do good to everyone.

Please God..please:helpsmili

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I had this dream a couple of days ago. England win the toss at the Oval, bat first and Tresco smashes a 60 in no time and the score is around 80 odd for no loss and Bob Willis is going "Here we go again". I hope it comes true. :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Well, SJS, it wouldn't do good to the Aussie players and fans!
I suppose so. Atleast in the short run.

But I am convinced that in the medium term, a shock like this would be good for Australia. This is something waiting to happen. The ageing of Warne and McGrath is not reversible. Its better that australia starts rebuilding while they are still around than do it two years down the line and find they are much worse off than today.

Australia's problems are for real. Its a question of timing for the wake up call. This unbeaten spell can not go on for eternity. If it has to break, it should break while there is still gap between Aussies and the rest inspite of this series.