• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Storer123 said:
On form Shane Watson has to be in the Test squad, either for clarke or Katich. My preference would be that Katich is dropped. Watson will also add the depth that Australia need in the bowling department especially if Mcgrath is coming in under an injury cloud.
Kato (the ball didn't go Irish of course) and Clarke played well last match though, if one were to drop anyone surely it'd be Hayden? Kato moving up to open (he's a good leaver generally) and maybe Watson in down the order. I'd still want Hussey in if I was Aussie though, but it seems the selectors are Adam Ant about not utilising their best batsmen.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Australia's top 8 will be unchanged for the next test. If McGrath is fit I'd expect him to lead a seam attack with Tait and Lee. On balance, Tait looked much more dangerous than Kasprowicz in both innings of the last test and deserves another go ahead of him. Macgill is an outside chance, but I doubt he'll be picked.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I hope Watson is picked. And I REALLY hope Pidge plays. Regardless of the other changes, I believe that if McGrath plays, we will win.

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
But if you don't score enough runs (which has been the main problem IMO) you won't solve it by dropping a batsman.
If none of the top order a making big scores, an extra batsman down the order is unlikely to help. Besides out tail has been doing well with the bat. We need big partnerships by the top 4, instead of getting in and wasting their chance.

As an extreme exageration, you can win a test match scoring just 100 runs, but you need 20 wickets.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nnanden said:
I hope Watson is picked. And I REALLY hope Pidge plays. Regardless of the other changes, I believe that if McGrath plays, we will win.
I reckon I wouldn't mind seeing Watson, Hussey and MacGill all in. The one thing I just don't want is an unchanged (apart from McGrath for Kasper) squad.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
My team:

Langer
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Katich
Hussey
Warne
Lee
Kasper
McGrath

...but I wouldn`t complain with MacGill in for Kasper.

rookie

Cricket Spectator
Here is my team for the 5th test

Hussey
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Macgill

I think Watson has to be included after his 200 for Hampshire this week and the fact that the aussies are lacking in the bowling department compared to England.
I also reckon Hayden's time is up and that Macgill is worth a try

Also does anyone know what is happening with ponting i saw on the news that he might get a one match ban on a repeat offence after what he had to say in the 4th test

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
rookie said:
Also does anyone know what is happening with ponting i saw on the news that he might get a one match ban on a repeat offence after what he had to say in the 4th test
Clever, that.

Depriving Australia of Ricky's captaincy could be seen as a way of punishing England over the substitutions row.

social

rookie said:
Here is my team for the 5th test

Hussey
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Macgill

I think Watson has to be included after his 200 for Hampshire this week and the fact that the aussies are lacking in the bowling department compared to England.
I also reckon Hayden's time is up and that Macgill is worth a try

Should be the team but Hussey is apparently flying home as we speak and Aus want to play a half fit McGrath in a meaningless match this weekend so he can prove his fitness 8-)

social

andyc said:
I reckon I wouldn't mind seeing Watson, Hussey and MacGill all in. The one thing I just don't want is an unchanged (apart from McGrath for Kasper) squad.
Its going to happen unfortunately

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Should be the team but Hussey is apparently flying home as we speak and Aus want to play a half fit McGrath in a meaningless match this weekend so he can prove his fitness 8-)
Isn't he flying to Pakistan to captain Australia A?

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
There's a diffence between playing late and half forward.
barely any difference. fact is that if you stick your front foot far forward you are in effect going at the ball early. if you take a short stride forward you arent really that much of an lbw candidate, and you still have the chance to go on the backfoot depending on the length.

Mister Wright said:
Secondly, Clarke is always feeling at balls outside the offstump when he shouldn't, that is probably his most common mode of dismissal...Khan on debut, Akhtar, Sami, now Hoggard, and a few others I can't remember.
playing balls that he shouldnt be playing isnt actually a technical weakness, its more judgemental. obviously the real weakness in clarkes game at the moment is not his technique but his temperament.

Mister Wright said:
LBW has to be his next, getting caught half forward, that's happened at least twice this series.
2 times out of 7 isnt significant, and considering that on at least 1 of those occasions it was an inswinger that he didnt expect, its not something that can be put down to technique. in fact hes only ever been out lbw twice to a pace bowler in his career so far. this is so obviously not his weakness.

Mister Wright said:
Promissing batsman, but just not ready for test cricket yet.
im sorry what?
if he is not ready, why has he been one of australias best batsmen in this series and averaged over 40?

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
As for those who criticise his technique:

a. the guy averages 50 in test cricket and has always played the same way; and.
the average as has been been said a million times before, doesnt change the fact that hes struggled to score a run against seam and swing.

social said:
b. who is perfect? Name one batsman and I'll tell you what his weakness is.
im sorry what?
there are some players who have weaknesses, get out to it occasionally,but the good ones always find ways to work around it.
has hayden ever in his intl career(im not really bothered about domestic cricket) managed to work around that weakness and score runs?
i do hope hayden is retained after this series, and i'll enjoy it even further if he ends up hammering mediocre bowling attacks on flat wickets all over again.

tooextracool

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Ponting's hasn't been in world-beating form for some time either.
cant agree with that. average 72,100 and 97 in his last 3 test series before the ashes is about as good form as you can possibly imagine. he might not have been at his best at the start of the summer but midway through the ODI series it was obvious that he was playing as well as he usually does.

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
Actually, I think England will be a bit vulnerable after this series. They've spent the last two years working towards the goal of winning the Ashes and if they do it, they could well suffer from 'well...... now what?' syndrome. Certainly, playing against anyone else will be one heck of a come-down. How they respond to that will be interesting.
i cant see this happening actually. for one thing even if england were to win this series, they still wont be considered the best test team in the world, they would still have a fair bit more work to do. obviously the other big goal from here is winning the WC in 2007, so theres more than enough things to keep this england side motivated.