• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Craig

World Traveller
First time in 191 Tests Australia will have to bat again (follow on). Quite remarkable really.

And congratulations to Simon Jones, he has turned out to be a very under-rated bowler.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
People told me I was being stupid when I was shouting about the Twenty20.... WELL HERE'S ONE THAT MATTERS!!

England 477 (Flintoff 102) make Australia 218 (Jones 5-44) follow on.

MIGHTY MIGHTY ENGLAND!

They're coming home, boys.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Nnanden said:
Australian tail-ender the top scorer yet again.

This is just embarrassing. Here`s hoping Australia make 500+ but I think we already know the answer to that one.
Too right

Majin

International Debutant
If England can nip out a couple of quick wickets with the new ball before lunch we could be onto something here.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Finally, as for bowling at the body being poor form... stop being so soft.
Err, why? Trying to hurt the batsman with no thought for getting them out is poor form, and you shouldn't do it. It's one thing to bowl and try and hit the batsman to intimidate them, but when they leave the stumps, why not bowl at the stumps?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's right to enforce the follow-on, there's cloud around and England are more likely to lose by batting now and getting bowled out for 150-200 and then the cloud disappears.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
I think he was just trying to stop him getting the single. Lee backed away and Jones followed him with the ball. Standard stuff in ODIs - can't see anything that egregious about it, myself..
Yeah maybe.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy about this rather than having England bat and take the game away from Australia. They may well bowl Australia out for 200 again, but a score of 400 odd would give hope.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Err, why? Trying to hurt the batsman with no thought for getting them out is poor form, and you shouldn't do it. It's one thing to bowl and try and hit the batsman to intimidate them, but when they leave the stumps, why not bowl at the stumps?
erm cos thats where lee wanted him to bowl so he could swing his arms at it?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Can`t see anything different happen here in Australia`s second innings.

But maybe, just maybe, Australia can apply themselves and turn this into a winning situation.

My hope - The English bowlers are tired and perhaps a bit over-confident/relaxed and don`t bowl their lengths and drop their catches. That would be nice.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Craig said:
First time in 191 Tests Australia will have to bat again (follow on). Quite remarkable really.
That's amazing, isn't it? It was almost worth it for Vaughan to enforce it just for that stat alone.

I'm another that thinks that enforcing the follow-on was the right decision. They're on fire in the field, we're demoralised - it's possible that this'll be wrapped up very quickly, and I don't think they're too nervous about our bowling attack anyhow, should they have a small chase ahead of them. If we score 400 it's still only 150 for them to get - and yes, as BB says, you should back your bowlers when they're doing such a sterling job.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Top_Cat said:
And those baying for the selection of Jacques; get a grip. He's not even a certain starter for NSW yet, let alone a Test prospect!
Not a certain starter for NSW? That`s the stupidest thing I`ve ever heard. I`d probably go Hussey over him for an Aussie Test spot, mind.

And I never said Tait was bad, in fact I said he was the pick of the pacemen.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
That's amazing, isn't it? It was almost worth it for Vaughan to enforce it just for that stat alone.

I'm another that thinks that enforcing the follow-on was the right decision. They're on fire in the field, we're demoralised - it's possible that this'll be wrapped up very quickly, and I don't think they're too nervous about our bowling attack anyhow, should they have a small chase ahead of them. If we score 400 it's still only 150 for them to get - and yes, as BB says, you should back your bowlers when they're doing such a sterling job.

very true

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
Interesting to note at this moment none of the Australians average 40 or above in this series.
It's pretty obvious ... and I hate you Pommies rubbing it in :p