• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Err, Ponting was (and still is, probably) a quality slip fielder, he has however dropped a fair number of catches in the last year or so, as has been well documented. That hardly means he wasn't an excellent catcher for years before that..
i doubt it, IMO hes been a better fielder out of the slip cordon.

FaaipDeOiad said:
The slip fielding hasn't been great (although as I said, this is largely isn't anythign to do with Warne), but the lowest point was during the Indian series and the period around there. The re-introduction of Warne into the team improved things to a noticable degree.
even though the indian series & the period around there have all happened with shane warne in the side? he'd only played 5 tests before the india series, and i'd tell you with certainity whether or not the fielding was just as poor then had i watched either of those 2 series closely enough.
maybe hes been better than hayden,langer and ponting, but those 3 have been poor. hes been average. and hes still put down absolute sitters like the one of cummings in NZ.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and regardless, the slip catching has been so brilliant recently that buchanan actually mentioned the drop in their slip fielding standards after they dropped 15 out of 17 odd catches in 5 tests in the slips.
You don't honestly expect anyone to believe that any Test side would drop 90% of the slips catches that come their way, do you?

And considering Warne generally bowls 20-odd overs in a Test day, his catching rate is pretty solid.

archie mac

International Coach
I think Warne a good slipper. The one I will always remember was the drop off Fleming that would have given him his 2nd Test hat-trick.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
archie mac said:
I think Warne a good slipper. The one I will always remember was the drop off Fleming that would have given him his 2nd Test hat-trick.
Impressive. Did his followthrough involve running to slip and fielding there? :huh:

archie mac

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
Impressive. Did his followthrough involve running to slip and fielding there? :huh:
Sorry not that clear.
Warne was in the slips, and Damien Fleming was the bowler, he already had one Test hat-trick against Pakistan I think. He would have been only the third Aussie to take 2 hat-tricks. (off the top of my head)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep that's what happened. I saw it as it happened in Adelaide. It was a bit of a sitter too. :)

Damien Fleming's first hat trick was in his first Test in Pakistan years ago.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BARMY_LAD said:
Let it be known that we WILL win the ashes.... The Aussies are getting far too ****y and its about time that we knock them off their zimmaframes!
With Freddie Flintoff and Andrew Strauss, not to mention Michael Vaughan (whom Australia had a very tough time of containing in the last ashes series) we are capable of winning the series....
MY GUESS 2-1 (With rain spoiling our chances of a bigger victory.
AUSSIES BOW DOWN TO THE ENGEEEEERLAND!!!!:notworthy
:laugh: i like your optimisim mate, u like a typical crazy Barmy army member

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
maybe hes been better than hayden,langer and ponting, but those 3 have been poor. hes been average. and hes still put down absolute sitters like the one of cummings in NZ.
I think Langer is a poor slipper, Hayden is decent but Ponting is pretty good in the slips he is by no means ppor i cant remember Ponting dropping too many

Scallywag

Banned
aussie said:
I think Langer is a poor slipper, Hayden is decent but Ponting is pretty good in the slips he is by no means ppor i cant remember Ponting dropping too many
****, Langer is not a great slipper up among the best but he is not poor. And if he is then there is great slippers and then poor slippers.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
****, Langer is not a great slipper up among the best but he is not poor. And if he is then there is great slippers and then poor slippers.
i am a bit confused about what you are saying mate, refrase

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
the pre-ashes talk by the aussies continues this one by McGrath & Dizzy is just so funny, saying that they are batting threats :laugh:

Scallywag

Banned
aussie said:
i am a bit confused about what you are saying mate, refrase
Langer is not a great slipper of all time but he is a good slipper. He is a very good close in fielder and can take some remarkable catches.

Like most players he does not come up to the standard of slip fielding against the likes of Taylor and Waugh but he is definiately not a poor slip fielder. Compared to most international fielders Langer is a high quality fielder and if you class him as a poor slipper then there is not to many players that are good in the slips.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Langer is not a great slipper of all time but he is a good slipper. He is a very good close in fielder and can take some remarkable catches.

Like most players he does not come up to the standard of slip fielding against the likes of Taylor and Waugh but he is definiately not a poor slip fielder. Compared to most international fielders Langer is a high quality fielder and if you class him as a poor slipper then there is not to many players that are good in the slips.
well maybe poor was a bit of an exaggerated term, i would sair he is just about fair since he is not a natural slipper and not the greatest fielder overall

Scallywag

Banned
aussie said:
well maybe poor was a bit of an exaggerated term, i would sair he is just about fair since he is not a natural slipper and not the greatest fielder overall
Well I've watched enough of Langer live to confidently say you have not watched much of Langer or you are not a very good judge of fielders.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Well I've watched enough of Langer live to confidently say you have not watched much of Langer or you are not a very good judge of fielders.
its not like i am saying JL is a poor fielder overall, but he isn't great has in Jonty rhodes or ricky ponting great he is just a good fielder, nothing more nothing less

Scallywag

Banned
aussie said:
I think Langer is a poor slipper,
Thats the comment you made, Langer has played in the slips for his WA team and has proven himself to be a quite capable slipper. He also played for Middlesex (I think) so it would be interesting if any supporters of the county team he played for could give their opinion of Langer in the field. (as long as they watched some of his games).

I really dont think you have watched enough of Langer to comment on his abilities in the field. ( I have based that on what you have posted because there seems to be major discrepancies in your opinions and Langers abilities in the field)

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
Just had a look at Langers record for Middlesex in 99 and 00 and he seems to have taken a extraordinary amount of catches compared to the other fielders. Did he wicketkeep for Middlesex because he has 37 catches in two seasons. None of the others fielders are close to that except Nash who I presume is the WK.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
tooextracool said:
even though the indian series & the period around there have all happened with shane warne in the side? he'd only played 5 tests before the india series, and i'd tell you with certainity whether or not the fielding was just as poor then had i watched either of those 2 series closely enough.
I'm pretty sure that he was referring to the 03/04 series in Australia, when Warne was missing.