• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

PY

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
He'll have to do it on his own, because frankly on current form he's the only Australian bowler on show who would get into the England side.
Don't say that, he'll do it all by himself.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well thats it, England have done very well today, but if Australia are to restrict England Warne has a significant role to play tommoro since none of the quicks are giving me any real confidence. Ponting & Martyn showed be gutted they threw their wickets away when they were looking so set for a big score :dry:

Beleg

International Regular
In seven minutes, you can usually cover two overs. It takes around 2 minutes for change of player. That would give five minutes for the rest of the balls to be bowled without going into over-time.

That wasn't possible before lunch, where you'd be going into overtime if you completed the over.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
There weren't that many and that over was the last, there's no difference except for one being lunch and one being the end of play.
The difference is the time, for God's sake. If you have 7 minutes left when a wicket falls, you don't go off because there's plenty of time to finish the over and maybe bowl another. If there's 2 minutes left, you go off.

Anyway, best day of the series to date for England. Really, they should pile on the runs tomorrow and make Australia chase a huge total, and give plenty of time for Giles and the quicks to get Australia out again. Should square the series.

steds said:
Yeah, old lardarse could have had a field day in three days time, but he won't be, so there's no need to even think about it
I recognise your ugly mug from the avatar, as the happy clappy moron who had the misfortune of being turded by me earlier.

Mess with the bull young man, and you will get the horns. OK so you paid the price but learn from tangling with me and move on.

No need to make your lifes mission, following me around from thread to thread.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Beleg said:
In seven minutes, you can usually cover two overs. It takes around 2 minutes for change of player. That would give five minutes for the rest of the balls to be bowled without going into over-time.

That wasn't possible before lunch, where you'd be going into overtime if you completed the over.
It wasn't seven minutes. If you look at the times on here when people posted you'll see it wasn't.

PY

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
I'm going to check the odds at the bookies on Warney getting a tenfer. If I can get 100-1 I'll have a tenner on it.
I might do actually, or at least taking 7 or more wickets (someone has to bowl at the other end).

Think KP might be the key because he hasn't looked too bothered by Warne thus far. I'd like to see him hit out of the attack but I won't hold my breath/.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
There weren't that many and that over was the last, there's no difference except for one being lunch and one being the end of play.
What difference does it make? He wasn't out. Hoggard probably gets paid by the hour on his tenure at the crease anyway - so when they start play tomorrow, he'll have already had the meter running for 17 hours.

Ka-ching!

Scaly piscine said:
I'd say more like an idiot, can't even cover his stumps. I notice when England got a wicket before lunch they went for lunch, Australia get a wicket the same amount of time before the end of play and they stay on. Is it some rule or is it just more blatant pro Aussie bias... ?
I'd take that over being on the bad end of the LBW decisions, any day.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Scaly piscine said:
It wasn't seven minutes. If you look at the times on here when people posted you'll see it wasn't.
Oh dear plastic bag, does it matter? Hoggard survived the four balls and England are effectively 124 for 1, with Vaughan, Pietersen and Flintoff still to come. I'll take that after two days cricket.

Beleg

International Regular
I am going by the cricinfo commentary,

Warne into the attack now, just about seven minutes left in the
day, possibly two overs
Even if we deduct a minute for the first ball and the time it took to compute the information on the website, we are still left with at least five minutes. Deducting two minutes will give us 180 seconds, which are more than enough for four balls by a spinner.

Call me pedantic, but there are enough legitimate reasons already to accuse Umpires of bias without inventing some of your own.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
where do you check for that Scaly??
Compare the times when people posted on here and said so and so was out (I realise so and so might have given the run out as out a little earlier than it took the 3rd umpire to give it), I know it doesn't make any difference, I'm just proving I'm right is all...

tooextracool

International Coach
quite a fascinating days play today. i was hoping that the pitch only started to turn significantly towards the end of day 3 which would have made englands 407 in one day seem like a master stroke. unfortunately if warnes over was anything to go by, its going to be a nightmare to bat out there tomorrow. nonetheless, the good thing for england is that they dont have any more left handers to come until simon jones, which reduces the effectiveness of bowling into the rough, assuming bell, flintoff and co actually play warne competently.
i thought all of englands bowlers bar hoggard bowled well, giles, flintoff and jones(in his 2nd spell) stood out, but theres still plenty of work to be done and england need to get a lead of at least 300 for them to feel the slightest bit confident to win this one. i'd be extremely interested to see how england go about batting tomorrow, whether they bat with the same recklessness as they did on day 1 or whether they try to defend warne, but i hope to death that they decide to play him aggressively.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shane Warne said:
I recognise your ugly mug from the avatar, as the happy clappy moron who had the misfortune of being turded by me earlier.

Mess with the bull young man, and you will get the horns. OK so you paid the price but learn from tangling with me and move on.

No need to make your lifes mission, following me around from thread to thread.
I suggest you stop this line of posting now.

I really, really think that you have stepped just a tad over the line on more than one occasion recently.

Desist immediately and grow up.

twctopcat

International Regular
That ball was a great ripper but that much spin won't do much too a right hander so long as you don't get bowled around your legs, he will need to be much more subtle. Tres tomorrow morning will be interesting though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:
Call me pedantic, but there are enough legitimate reasons already to accuse Umpires of bias without inventing some of your own.
You're pedantic. :p

Strictly speaking, Gillespie could have been out before he faced a ball. It took him 4 minutes to get to the middle. I'd have loved to have seen that - one nameless member of CricketWeb would have been coughing up blood.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
i'd be extremely interested to see how england go about batting tomorrow, whether they bat with the same recklessness as they did on day 1 or whether they try to defend warne, but i hope to death that they decide to play him aggressively.
Knowing England i think with the exception of KP when the rest of the English batting line-up see the spin out their from Warne tomoro they will play him defensively thus playing right into Shane's hands which is exactly what i want :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Shane Warne said:
Because he isn't as good, Giles actually has more ridiculous appeals than both, when it's pitched outside leg, going past the stumps and hit the middle of the bat outside the line.
im not going to bother with that but just on topic, i think i saw the worst appeal ever recently by zaheer khan against the WI. somebody should tell him that a ball pitching outside leg and hitting the batsmen outside leg stump is not out