• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
James Hopes would be perfect for the substitution role. Many people think an extra bowler or batsman will be selected as the substitute. However I think the allrounder player will be made the 12th player, due to the team not knowing what they are going to do 1st. That way a team can play a full 11, then use the allrounder as a substitue depending on whether they need another bowler or batsman.
Yes it will indeed be an all rounder who will be much more of a sensible option. Derek Pringle said that too on BBC.com a bit after the rule was formed.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
nts said:
If Lee plays 2-1 to Aus. If not 1-1 draw. (Ashes)
If Kaspa pulls his socks up, he'll be far more of a threat in the Tests don't you think?
As an Eng supporter I hope Lee gets the nod tbh.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
That's ridiculous
What is - the fact that someone thinks the series could be a draw, or the preposterous point of view that (chuckle) Brett Lee would improve the side?

That's known as 'a barb' - and not necessarily my own opinion (just in case you're reading this, Brett)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interesting to see the ICC offered to relax the umpiring rule and offer Shep one last Test at Lords.

More interesting to see him decline it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Interesting to see the ICC offered to relax the umpiring rule and offer Shep one last Test at Lords.

It would have been wonderful - akin to the magical day when Bob Taylor came trotting out to keep wicket a year after retirement, the old floppy hat (not as floppy as Jack Russell's, mind) and pads in the boot of his car 'just in case'.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Here's My prediction- (All scientifically worked out based on probabilities, weather, player comfort etc. Based on complex Mathematical prediction Model !! :D :laugh: )

20/20 - England.

Nat West Series - England 2-1(3 games v Australia)

Nat West challenge - Australia 3-0 ( 3 games)

Ashes - 5 Tests - 2-2 with a drawn Test !! Australia retain the Ashes !! :D
FaaipDeOiad said:
Anyway, my tips:

20/20: Australia
NWS: Australia 7-0, England 3-4, Bangladesh 0-6.
NWC: Australia 2-1
Ashes: Australia 3-1
Current standings - JASON 1 and 3/4 points ( 1/2 point as NWS shared , 1/4 point for predicting 2/1 when result is 1 and 1/2 to either Team -for coming close )
Faaip De Oiad - 1/2 point (as NWS shared ) :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:

It would be wonderful to see him umpire his last test at Lords but I think he has had his moment in his mind with a last test in the Windies-South Africa series. I think he wouldnt like to get a 'last test' again so to say.

Its his decision but the gesture is highly praiseworthy on the ICC's part. They have been doing quite a few things right after that ridiculous substitution rule.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
Current standings - JASON 1 and 3/4 points ( 1/2 point as NWS shared , 1/4 point for predicting 2/1 when result is 1 and 1/2 to either Team -for coming close )
And another five points to Jason for making up the points system as he goes along.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Interesting scoring system there. :p

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shaka said:
Shane Warne may move to South Africa to get more peace and quiet, personally i doubt this would be such the case.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15777197-5000061,00.html
This is the same Shane Warne who was vilified for his send-offs of SA batsmen and exposed for taking a diuretic (in Aus) whilst preparing for the WC in SA.

Great bowler that he is, life would be quieter and more peaceful for him if he took responsibilities for his actions and behaved like an adult.

Anyway, that's my final contribution to Woman's Day. Let's get back to cricket.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Here's a cheery thought. As Warwickshire don't have a CC game this time around, when Ian Bell walks out to bat against Aus, it will be his first FC innings since the middle of June. Apart from the 2020 games, his only chances of any time in the middle during the five weeks before the first ashes test is the C&G quarter finals (if WCCC are still in the competition) and a couple of Totesport games. Great!

PY

International Coach
82 balls but no-one can gripe. He's done alright with the bat so far hasn't he? :D