• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anzac

International Debutant
Spetsnatz said:
Indeed. The CC is quite tough in that sense.
agreed - however what has that done for the ENG national team / game?????
flogging yourself to death in what could be called a war of attrition does no one any good.

we have previously debated the idea that the ENG County season has too many games & that the local players have perhas a certain level of complacency regarding their selections etc. For the forgeiners it's a nice little monetary spin off in their domestic off season, and they know that the real business begins back Home when their domestic season starts. Admittedly the fringe players etc would get more than this from off season in CC - but not perhaps the established internationals.....

:mellow:

ash chaulk

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
He quite clearly isn't 1st or 2nd (Langer, Hayden) - and then there's Mike Hussey, Elliott, Maher... 3rd/4th at best.
Hussey bats down the order more these days... Elliott hes no where just like greg blewett i dont know why he doesnt ever get recalled must be a reason i just dont know what it is... and maher?? i dunno bout him... i would say martin love? next best after langer/hayden/gilly then rogers but he still has to have another great season.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am new here but I have watched cricket over a period of time and I think the Aussies will slowly lose their domination of world cricket. Sure, they will be one of the top teams if not THE top team in the world, but I don't think they will be able to dominate like what we have seen in the last 5 years....They will be pushed and they will lose more often than in the last 5 years. And I don't think New Zealand are that good, they still didn't beat Australia in Australia in even a test match.... They have a good side but Fleming has been playing too many mind games for his own good....And I think people overrate NZ. They lost to Pakistan and drew the series with SA in their own backyard for God's sakes.........

Swervy

International Captain
honestbharani said:
I am new here but I have watched cricket over a period of time and I think the Aussies will slowly lose their domination of world cricket. Sure, they will be one of the top teams if not THE top team in the world, but I don't think they will be able to dominate like what we have seen in the last 5 years....They will be pushed and they will lose more often than in the last 5 years. And I don't think New Zealand are that good, they still didn't beat Australia in Australia in even a test match.... They have a good side but Fleming has been playing too many mind games for his own good....And I think people overrate NZ. They lost to Pakistan and drew the series with SA in their own backyard for God's sakes.........
yeah and for gods sake, NZ only destroyed India in NZ as well...

NZ are the most underrated team in world cricket

cbuts

International Debutant
imranrabb said:
Pakistan beat NZ in NZ in test and beat them 5-0 in the one day series in pakistan
u mean u beat NZA 5-0 in the one dayers. when we had a full strength team in the odi's we whipped u 4-1. pakistan has always been the team we struggle agaisnst. 11 out of our worst 12 collapses have been against pakistan, and it was a collapse on the 4ht morning that lost the series for us. prior to that sesion we looked to ahve the test series rapped up.

tooextracool

International Coach
TDCC Young Guns said:
u mean u beat NZA 5-0 in the one dayers. when we had a full strength team in the odi's we whipped u 4-1. pakistan has always been the team we struggle agaisnst. 11 out of our worst 12 collapses have been against pakistan, and it was a collapse on the 4ht morning that lost the series for us. prior to that sesion we looked to ahve the test series rapped up.
i think thats got more to do with shoaib akhtar than anything else....he seems to find his rhythm against you guys

anzac

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
and very nearly stole the series in India as they nearly did in AUS???????

:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
TDCC Young Guns said:
and it was a collapse on the 4ht morning that lost the series for us. prior to that sesion we looked to ahve the test series rapped up.

Erm, how did you have it wrapped up?

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Australia has about 1 year at the top again. by then India will get there. I doubt SA will do it (5-1 loss just 2 years ago) and in any case i see India as a better team than SA. Problem is that india doesn't really have that many good bowlers.

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
NZ are a good side but they must be very disappointed with their test form over the last 12 months. They haven't won any of their past 4 series --
agreed they only lost one of them -- but for a side that was 3rd in the world just after the WC, they do seem to have lost their footing a little.
In the meantime, both England and India have made considerable advances.

anzac

International Debutant
NZ have yet to learn / develop that "winning philosophy" - it's as much a condition of their 'history in the game' as we have mentioned previously........

it's the last major piece of the jigsaw that needs to come together for the team & sport to move forward to the next level - they need to learn to win series, and then by more than 1-0 to be able to do it on a regular basis........

possibly only the likes of WI, ZIM & BAN would currently have lower % of wins..........

Craig

World Traveller
ash chaulk said:
Hussey bats down the order more these days... Elliott hes no where just like greg blewett i dont know why he doesnt ever get recalled must be a reason i just dont know what it is... and maher?? i dunno bout him... i would say martin love? next best after langer/hayden/gilly then rogers but he still has to have another great season.
Love is the perfect replacement if Ricky Ponting cant play in a Test, because he is a like-for-like player.

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
i think thats got more to do with shoaib akhtar than anything else....he seems to find his rhythm against you guys
And on some occasions Australia.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
Love is the perfect replacement if Ricky Ponting cant play in a Test, because he is a like-for-like player.
Yes, and thats great, he'd probably be a excellent replacemt, but I'm not talking about Number 3.
Most of these players are middle-aged, middle-order (hehe) players. Sure, Love and Hussey and Elliot are all fantastic, and will probably play a few games, but can you see any of them getting a permanent opening position in the team? I cant.
Rodgers still obviously has to have a couple more good seasons, but I just think hes the real deal for the future. A young, talented opener.
Sorry for off-topic stuff.