• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Craig

World Traveller
chris.hinton said:
once the older aussie players retire (Lehmann, Hayden, Mc grath and Warne) then it will change
Not really.

Ricky Ponting is turning 30 this year and probably has 5 or 6 years left, Martyn is in his early 30s (I think 31), and Simon Katich is turning 29 this year.

As back up there is: Mike Hussey, Marcus North (when he puts in back to back seasons), Martin Love, Mike Clarke, Matt Elliot and I suppose Brad Hodge. Obviously these are the people that are likely to be picked when a spot comes up via injury, retirement or other reasons in the batting department.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
As back up there is: Mike Hussey, Marcus North (when he puts in back to back seasons), Martin Love, Mike Clarke, Matt Elliot and I suppose Brad Hodge. Obviously these are the people that are likely to be picked when a spot comes up via injury, retirement or other reasons in the batting department.

Yes, but as yet we don't know theyre going to carry on in the vein of the current line-up.

tooextracool

International Coach
age_master said:
like??? and with the ball??? or in the field??? the Aussie team doesn't overperform, they just perform to their best more oftren and more consistantly than the rest
their batting performs better than everyone else due the above reasons. in the past we have seen teams like india,pakistan and SA who were just about as talented(perhaps even more talented), yet they never performed to the levels expected of them.
and players like lehmann,langer,s.waugh and hayden definetly do overperform.

anzac

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Yes, but as yet we don't know theyre going to carry on in the vein of the current line-up.
I think it is fairly safe to assume that the style of cricket will continue as that's the way they play their domestic game - aggressive....

the talent pool may not be so sharp but the execution won't waver - & I've already cited the NZ example of a good team v team of good talent..........& the AUS player base will always ensure they have players of genuine class...

:cool:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anzac said:
I think it is fairly safe to assume that the style of cricket will continue as that's the way they play their domestic game - aggressive....

But will that be successful?

I note that neither of the 2 players that have been pushed as the next thing in Australia are performing that well over here yet.

anzac

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
But will that be successful?

I note that neither of the 2 players that have been pushed as the next thing in Australia are performing that well over here yet.
but since when has that been the bench mark???? - not that you were suggesting that at all...........not every player is going to be an instant or guaranteed success in off season overseas.

to date they are amongst the new players to dominate / impress in the reportedly toughest domestic comp in the game, and as such have yet to 'fail' in their int exposure.........they also have some time yet b4 they will be called upon as senior players within the AUS squads..........that will be when we see what they are made of........

could also be a case that their game is not suited to English pitches..............

:)

PY

International Coach
anzac said:
to date they are amongst the new players to dominate / impress in the reportedly toughest domestic comp in the game
It might have the highest quality of cricket and the average talent of player but I would argue the CC might be the true challenge of maintaining form through more and longer season in the CC and the same again for OD games.

Not even going to bother claiming the quality is the same but it is a severe challenge to sustain it through a longer period. Plus the pitches will be the same as what they'll have to face in New Zealand and of course England and in some locations, the West Indies.

Last edited:

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
PY said:
It might have the highest quality of cricket and the average talent of player but I would argue the CC might be the true challenge of maintaining form through 10+ games in the CC and the same again for OD games.

Not even going to bother claiming the quality is the same but it is a severe challenge to sustain it through more games.
Indeed. The CC is quite tough in that sense.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anzac said:
but since when has that been the bench mark???? - not that you were suggesting that at all...........not every player is going to be an instant or guaranteed success in off season overseas.

That's not what we were led to believe by supporters of those 2...

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Linda said:
You reckon? I wouldnt be so sure, Craig, to be honest. I know I'm bias, but he's damn good.
He quite clearly isn't 1st or 2nd (Langer, Hayden) - and then there's Mike Hussey, Elliott, Maher... 3rd/4th at best.

anzac

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
That's not what we were led to believe by supporters of those 2...
yeah but as I said on another thread we may have lost the original 'terrace element' but they've been replaced from other hemispheres.........

:wacko: