• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Spot on SS. Kumble is the most valuable player in the Indian test side right now. I have a feeling Harbhajan is really going to take off in the next year or so and develop into a genuine match-winning spinner (closer to the Murali-Warne, Kumble class), so we won't suffer too much in that regard.

I have to disagree. Harbhajan is OK, but he relies way too much on his chuck delivery (doosra) to be truly a match winner like Kumble.

I don't see it, except on very specific pitches, or at home.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
I have to disagree. Harbhajan is OK, but he relies way too much on his chuck delivery (doosra) to be truly a match winner like Kumble.

I don't see it, except on very specific pitches, or at home.
He does tend to be overreliant on that delivery, but he has matured a lot over the past six months. He's willing to try different things and he's dominating the opposition in one-day cricket. Of course, having it translate to the test arena is a different story but I think he may just do it.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
He does tend to be overreliant on that delivery, but he has matured a lot over the past six months. He's willing to try different things and he's dominating the opposition in one-day cricket. Of course, having it translate to the test arena is a different story but I think he may just do it.
He probably will become a great one day bowler, but he won't be as successful in the test arena. However, we won't miss Kumble much because of Chawla (the next Warne, if not better).

adharcric

International Coach
Turbinator said:
Chawla (the next Warne, if not better).
Cut out the rubbish please. Chawla is a fine prospect and in fact a solid lower-order bat as well, but he's nothing like Warne. He's more of a Kumble-type bowler and he has attained great success so far in domestic and A team cricket, but that doesn't guarantee anything. I also think he will become a top performer, but don't make a comparison like that, for your own sake.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Perm said:
Australia will lose Warne and McGrath at around the same time, but with a good young batch of pace bowlers coming through like Johnson and Tait they shouldn't suffer hugely. Depends how long Warne continues playing as to whether or not MacGill will fill in as an interrim or whether they go straight to a younger guy like Dan Cullen who's already been tried.

In terms of batsman I'd say Langer and Hayden will both retire around the same time, Jaques will probably secure one of those opening spots, not sure who would get the other. I'd say that Cosgrove will probably replace Martyn when he retires and Haddin will take the gloves when Gilchrist goes.
Not so sure about Tait. His action is poor, and really the only thing he's got going for him is pace. Johnson on the other hand is a fine prospect, and Ben Hilfenhaus of Tasmania looks promising.

Jaques will replace Langer after the ashes imo. Hayden won't be to far behind him either. If Watson proves to be a success at ODI opening, they could take the punt at playing him as a Test opener ?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt Watson would open in a test match, just because of the fact that he would have bowled for a fair amount of time whilst his team was fielding. Be too big of a risk and he wouldn't be able to handle it. The selectors have already showed interest in Tait and he could well return to the national fold after the Ashes at some stage, Langer will carry on after the Ashes I feel. After him and Hayden go it could be Jaques and Hussey opening the innings, because Hussey opens in First Class cricket doesn't he?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think they'd evert consider opening with Watson, any more than they thought about opening with Gilchrist after Healy's dropping. The jury is still out on whether watson is good enough to bat at #6, so i think opening is pretty remote.

Anyways, the openers problem is the simplest selection issue facing the selectors. Whichever of Langer or Hayden goes first is replaced by Jaques and when the other goes Hussey moves up to his accustomed openers slot - with someone like Cosgrove or Clarke coming in at #5.

it will be interesting whether we get 2004 standard Martyn or the 2005 model. Number 4 is a harder slot to fill - unless Hodge is given another shot - though logic has never played a role in Hodge's selection or lack thereof.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I don't think India will have any problems - they have plenty of batting to replace Tendulkar and Dravid, and I can easily see a three-man spin attack of Chawla - Harbhajan - Nadeem being used on home pitches.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Australia wont ever have problems replacing their superstar batsmen, we have so many good batsmen...however the bowling I cannot imagine how the aussies will be without Warnie and McGrath, no doubt I and all aussies with miss them a lot lot!

sideshowtim

Banned
Good bunch of young spinners coming through in Australia, with the right coaching I think our spin stocks are going to be fine. Bailey, Casson, Cullen...all fine young players who can be transformed into superstars if they put in the hard yards.

As for fast bowling, we're not as bad off as people think, Lee is still 29 and we've got blokes like Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Griffith, Drew and apparently Henriques is excellent with the ball too.

I think we'll be just fine. It's obviously hard to find guys to replace McGrath and Warne, but I think their replacements will do a good enough job to keep us #1.

And our batting stocks are fine, we've got great batsmen all over the place.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
He doesn't have the majesty of Tendulkar nor the presence of Dravid...but all he does is win matches. He has played a huge role in virtually every single test match win over the last 15 years. Absolutely indispensible.
India vs. Australia 2001?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He bolded 'every single', and since those two tests are probably two of India's 3 biggest test wins in the last 15 years, its fairly massive.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
He bolded 'every single', and since those two tests are probably two of India's 3 biggest test wins in the last 15 years, its fairly massive.
Right. I thought you bolded it. Obviously, I should have known better.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Well from what i think, In ODI's australia are already preparing for a team without Mcgrath, ponting still has 5 to 6 years in him so by that time i would think they will find a suitable batsman........lee is not dependent on Mcgrath and in the last few matches which Australia have won, is without Mcgrath performing. But test matches might be a factor, it will be interesting to see how mcgrath performs in the Ashes, if hes not as lethal and Australia still manage to beat england comprehensively, then theres ur answer. But warne will be a big factor, i cant see a spinner like him taking over.

For india though its simple: Dravid, tendulkar and kumble will be huge losses.

adharcric

International Coach
Jungle Jumbo said:
I don't think India will have any problems - they have plenty of batting to replace Tendulkar and Dravid, and I can easily see a three-man spin attack of Chawla - Harbhajan - Nadeem being used on home pitches.
Now that will be an exciting attack to watch in action.

bagapath

International Captain
Voltman said "Can't say I've heard that euphemism before..."

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gunner

U19 Cricketer
The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is this the End of the Aussie dominance in world cricket?
With Warne and Mcgrath retiring,australia will find it hard to bowl sides out unless jason gillespie and kasprowicz find their old form,

I think that they will win some matches but it will mostly be draws or losses

More draws cos of the power of their batting but who knows maybe the remainder of Dads Army might follow their lead,

i said this a couple of weeks ago when martyn retired that others will follow him very soon