• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne and McGrath are not just 2 fine bowlers - theyre 2 of the greatest ever.

It's ludicrous to suggest that we can survive their retirement without a downturn, especially when you consider that Gilchrist, who is a shoe in for an all-time world X1 IMO, will be going at about the same time.

Australia's depth of talent will ensure that we remain competitive post, say, 2007. But the period of dominance ended with the Ashes this year.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Uh it will happen. When is anyones guess, but as the saying goes "what goes up must come down."

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
ohtani's jacket said:
Australia only lose under the most extraordinary of circumstances. Occasionally a team like India in 2001 and England in 2005 will play out of their skin and beat them, but I can't see them losing back-to-back series any time soon. Not that I'd call this a dominant Australian team -- we've seen lately what life without Warne and McGrath will be like -- but I'm not picking a sudden or dramatic collapse, just plenty more draws.
I agree. But although England did play out of their skin in the Ashes to beat Australia, I think it was more a case of Australia playing at their worst. Loosing to Bangladesh confirms that. The whole team was just down. Seeing since England just lost to Pakistan 2-0 a team which was trashed by Australia 3-0 last year justifies that even more so (ofcourse Pakistan have improved since then but it was essentially the same team.
I think Australia will be dominant up untill the 2007 World Cup. That may be the time another team suprises them or something and their older players began to retire in quick succession.

simmy

International Regular
social said:
Warne and McGrath are not just 2 fine bowlers - theyre 2 of the greatest ever.

It's ludicrous to suggest that we can survive their retirement without a downturn, especially when you consider that Gilchrist, who is a shoe in for an all-time world X1 IMO, will be going at about the same time.

Australia's depth of talent will ensure that we remain competitive post, say, 2007. But the period of dominance ended with the Ashes this year.
Very well put. I agree completely.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I suspect not for more than a few years. I wouldn't be too surprised if WI and Pakistan are world beaters in a few years.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
roseboy64 said:
I suspect not for more than a few years. I wouldn't be too surprised if WI and Pakistan are world beaters in a few years.
Pakistan definitely , West Indies - unsure . Still a long way to go .

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
TBH, the players separating Australia from the pack are Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist and Ponting. Ponting will most likely hang on until 2010-2, but it's most likely that the former three will hang up their boots/bats/gloves between the next two Ashes series. Without doubt, Australia will have problems defending their away record (and most likely home record) without the world's most successful seamer, spinner and keeper-batsman.

[/stating the obvious]

But seriously, keeping up with the retirements of these three (and Langer/Hayden) will be the truest test of ANY Australian captain.

symonds

Cricket Spectator
i think that austalia wont find it to dificult to find another spinner they have some young players comming through like
cullen
casson
o keefe
hauritz
an more that i cant think of a this point of time

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
symonds said:
i think that austalia wont find it to dificult to find another spinner they have some young players comming through like
cullen
casson
o keefe
hauritz
an more that i cant think of a this point of time
Cullle for sure, casson is coming along welll cant say too much about the next two though..

dinu23

International Debutant
Australian dominance will be over when Warne,Mcgrath,Gilchrist and Hayden retire. they will lose the top spot but will remain competitive IMO.

Eclipse

International Debutant
lol hauritz is one of the worst spinners in the world IMO...

Lehmann is better than him no joke at ball.

Jose_Mourinho

Cricket Spectator
symonds said:
for argument sake this is austalias side
1.hayden
2.langer
3.ponting
4.hodge
5.hussey
6.symonds
7.gilchrist
8.warne
9.lee
10.bracken
11.mcgrath
Well for starters Symonds won't be there for much longer so you might as well replace him with Clarke.

And Bracken is garbage. Apparently a swing bowler, I'm still waiting. He swings it when the conditions are favourable AND EVERYONE ELSE CAN but is a nothing bowler who's played a few test matches at international level now and just hasn't looked up to it. He's about 26, 27 now. He shouldn't be near the team.

lets just say there plain crashes burn to ashes an they all die i dont think that there next 11 would be to trouble by the step up here is that side

1.P jaques
2.M north
3.m clarke
4.M cosgrove
5.D hussey
6.S watson
7.K hartley
8.M johnson
9.J Gillespie
10.S macgill
11.S tait
Some funny ones in there.

Mitchell Johnson?

Let me guess you're from Queensland? The guy doesn't even deserve his place in the Queensland side and isn't good enough for domestic cricket. Clark, Lewis, Dorey, Rofe, Wise to name a few are and should be miles ahead of him.

Hartley? Maybe if Gilly retired in 5 years but at the moment if Gilly was to get injured, Haddin would be the replacement. That's not even debatable.

And Gillespie is a far better batsman than Johnson and Tait is far better than MacGill.

Let me guess you saw Tait bat in the Ashes a couple of times and are basing your opinion solely on that.

Jose_Mourinho

Cricket Spectator
Eclipse said:
lol hauritz is one of the worst spinners in the world IMO...

Lehmann is better than him no joke at ball.
Lehmann's record in all forms of the game both internationally and domestically is actually quite superb.

greg

International Debutant
Jose_Mourinho said:

Let me guess you saw Tait bat in the Ashes a couple of times and are basing your opinion solely on that.
Well the evidence was pretty damning ;)

Anyway, it's not always in a teams interests to put their tailend batsmen in order according to their ability. Harmison and Jones, for example, are better than Hoggard but it serves England's purposes for Hoggard to bat higher.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
greg said:
Well the evidence was pretty damning ;)

Anyway, it's not always in a teams interests to put their tailend batsmen in order according to their ability. Harmison and Jones, for example, are better than Hoggard but it serves England's purposes for Hoggard to bat higher.
They arent better in defence - not by a long way.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Run like Inzy said:
I think Australia will be dominant up untill the 2007 World Cup. That may be the time another team suprises them or something and their older players began to retire in quick succession.
I don't consider this to be a dominant Australian side.

The Ashes exposed weaknesses that were there before the tour began -- the difference being that most teams compete with Australia for the first two days; England competed for the entire five days.

Many of those weaknesses have reappeared and were pronounced during their draw with South Africa; a draw which was uncharacteristic of an Australian side. Despite these weaknesses, most sides aren't good enough to press home an advantage. The only way I can see Australia losing at home is if Ponting and his shoddy captaincy has erroded the mentality that men like Border and Waugh instilled.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
FC Bowling averages of Australian reserves

After what we keep hearing or reading about bowling conditions in Australia, or the reserve bowlers they have, the stat sheets show something odd. Most of the FC bowling averages of Australian reserves are over 30, and a few over 25! I'm talking about the reserve bowlers in the Australian ODI side, whom you often find in the playing XI.

Are Australian pitches getting flat? Or does it have anything to do with the quality of batsmen or bowlers? Or just the heat?

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
nope just that the selectors are quite ordinary at picking reserve bowlers for the ODI team!!

The only guy who rightfully has a place is Stuart Clarke in my opinion.

Having said that however Warne's first class avg at state i think is about 35