• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Airtel Twenty20 Champions League 2009

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Especially as they can't in the actual IPL.

IMO if they want this to be a proper Tournament there needs a standardised set of rules over the domestic leagues (in terms of overseas players etc.) and also a ruling that in the event of a clash the overseas player plays with their home nation's team rather than the team they're an overseas player for (but then allow the team that loses a player to hire a replacement for that player if they're left undermanned) - the rules this year were absolutely crap if you ask me.

Howsie

International Captain
Dunno, are they? I thought as long as they played for them throughout the season they're good to go?
Well the NZ domestic sides are only allowed one overseas player per team, isn't that the same for Australia, or are they allowed two?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dunno, are they? I thought as long as they played for them throughout the season they're good to go?
Yeah, but as said about NZ - there's foreign quotas in each competition, and less than the IPL restrictions. To make this a proper Tournament, I feel standardised (and fair) rules need to be implemented.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, but as said about NZ - there's foreign quotas in each competition, and less than the IPL restrictions. To make this a proper Tournament, I feel standardised (and fair) rules need to be implemented.
Definitely, with three IPL teams, two Australian, English and South African teams and one from Sri Lanka, WI and NZ as well as the very packed timing of the whole thing, it is clear that this is a mere trial for the idea of a Champions League. Things should become more stremlined in future years. They should start off with either one or two teams from each country, rather than picking and choosing, and then move on to overseas restrictions in an effort to turn it into, dare I say it, a real competition, rather than the cobbled trial we have before us.

I feel that with such a tournament proving somewhat of a success (I'd think it has generated some interest), the ICC and national boards need to look to implement a more careful FTP that makes room for such tournaments. The final is on the 23rd and the Australia/India seven match series starts on the 25th, it is all a bit cramped, but it would appear that the boards don't seem to care about the player's wellbeing, afterall, they are not forced into these sorts of competitions, they might argue.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Woah, Vic suddenly favourites with the bookies. Odd.

Is it because NSW won the toss and elected to bat?