• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do we think holding Wagner back this long was a deliberate ploy to fire him up? Seems to have worked if so.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Hamza reminds me of my long-distant first grade cricket career. Could poke and prod my way to a solid 13-19 or so off about 45 balls before getitng out to the first ambitious shot I tried....

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Some striking similarities between this game and the test SA won in 2022: won the toss and made a bold call to bat first. Grafted a decent score on day 1. NZ collapse handing SA a small first innings lead. NZ strike back with the new ball to bring the game back into the balance. Will be interesting to see if the rest of the game follows the script.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Some striking similarities between this game and the test SA won in 2022: won the toss and made a bold call to bat first. Grafted a decent score on day 1. NZ collapse handing SA a small first innings lead. NZ strike back with the new ball to bring the game back into the balance. Will be interesting to see if the rest of the game follows the script.
In general I feel like we're prone to getting the wobbles in a fourth innings chase, especially if we're expected to win like against Bangladesh at home or that other South Africa match.

Spark

Global Moderator
In general I feel like we're prone to getting the wobbles in a fourth innings chase, especially if we're expected to win like against Bangladesh at home or that other South Africa match.
Everyone, except maybe England right now, is prone to wobbles in fourth innings chases. On normal pitches, fourth innings chases are really hard!

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone, except maybe England right now, is prone to wobbles in fourth innings chases. On normal pitches, fourth innings chases are really hard!
I know that's the case for basically all of cricket history. There has been a trend towards teams doing better with fourth innings chases in recent years though, and particularly in NZ the pitches often simply do not deteriorate. The fourth innings collapse and home loss to Bangladesh I would put more down to Bangladesh getting on a roll plus nerves than pitch conditions. That and tiredness, which is a real factor of course.

Here there is actually something for the bowlers in the pitch, so a fourth innings chase is probably standard all-of-cricket-history hard difficulty level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Southee is getting carried away with all the Rachin and Piedt wickets in the first innings bowling so much part time spin here, especially given Rachin has been so crap today. It's a good wicket to bowl spin on by NZ standards but it's not ****ing Mumbai. Let the bowlers bowl the overs.