• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

Athlai

Not Terrible
Our largest ever margin of victory for runs is 423 runs vs SL (2018 Hagley) and when enforcing a follow on by an innings and 301 runs vs Zimbabwe (Napier 2012)

So SA need more than 105 for the run margin and above 50 to avoid something the size of the Zimbabwe margin

Athlai

Not Terrible
South Africa's largest loss by runs is by 511 runs in 1911 and in the modern era, 337 runs vs India in Delhi.

(Though actually an innings and 360 runs vs Australia 2002 and we beat them by an innings and 276 in 2022)

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Busy day so far.

I feel bad for SA fans but also remember my ptsd from the 2007 tour and young Steyn.
I've PTSD from the 2000/01 tour when our entire first X1 bowling was injured (Bond, Cairns, Nash, Vettori), I think even B teamer O'Conner then also got injured during the series. And Nicky Boje kept feasting on us. They even promoted him up to number 3 in ODIs and he kept feasting on us.

But, there's a big difference between rolling out a B Team bowling attack, and a G Team bowling attack. tbh.

In hindsight. That B team attack was alright.

Shayne O'Connor, until he got injured.
Darryl Tuffey (playing his second test)
Chris Martin debuted.
Kerry Walmsley was recalled after about 6 years since the Glenn Turner whacky-doo selections in 1996. Replaced O'Connor. He was pleasingly quite good by this stage of his career.

Well, the seam bowling was alright. Both Vettori and Wiseman were injured. Brooke Walker was not test class.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
John Bracewell going full no mercy on the radio lol. He was coach in 07 and apparently the much better SA team had a lot to say after their cruise to victory on a "corrugated iron wicket" where Cumming lost his face.

He's loving this.

thierry henry

International Coach
I never understood Walmsley's career. He basically popped up out of the blue on three separate occasions (1994/95, 2000/01, 2003/4). He seemed to have good attributes (tall, high action, quickish) and a decent FC record so I'm not sure why he was generally so far down the pecking order.

Chubb

International Regular
John Bracewell going full no mercy on the radio lol. He was coach in 07 and apparently the much better SA team had a lot to say after their cruise to victory on a "corrugated iron wicket" where Cumming lost his face.

He's loving this.
Ah yeah I remember watching Cumming get hit live on Sky, it was a nasty blow.