• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

Molehill

International Captain
Just wondering, which country do we think benefited most from Russia’s exclusion (medal wise)?
In 2016 and 2021 they won 4 golds in Wrestling. Given Japan got a clean sweep of the Wrestling golds this time, you could probably say that was one area of benefit. Japan also won 2 Golds in fencing, a sport Russia won 7 golds in the previous 2 Olympics combined.

So I'd guess they were the big winners.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
In 2016 and 2021 they won 4 golds in Wrestling. Given Japan got a clean sweep of the Wrestling golds this time, you could probably say that was one area of benefit. Japan also won 2 Golds in fencing, a sport Russia won 7 golds in the previous 2 Olympics combined.

So I'd guess they were the big winners.
China benefited a bit too. Russia win several golds in Shooting, so without Russia, China managed 5 golds in shooting, more than before. Russia always clean sweep Artistic Swimming and do well in Rhythmic Gymnastics, but absence of Russia helped China bag 3 extra golds in these.

So if Russia were there, tally would be like this

USA 38-39
China 35-36
Japan ~15

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is simply ensuring he is easily the best looking bloke on the team he represents. In Australian cycling, he is outside the top 20. In the British team - Fabio.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, in all honesty, what a flea. You take all the resources, time and training, get to an Olympics then decide to **** off and switch allegiance? Come on. What a grub. If you're the Poms and have a shred of decency (lol, I know) you'd knock him back and tell him to gagf.

Ali TT

International Regular
Well it's a disgrace. First of all, he should return all the funding which made him the athlete he is today. Secondly, the 'roids have obviously fried his idiot brain. Why anyone would choose to leave Australia to return to that bleak, dreary **** hole is beyond any sane individual.
There are a couple of nice spots but your are right, Kent is generally a dump.

Molehill

International Captain
Nah, in all honesty, what a flea. You take all the resources, time and training, get to an Olympics then decide to **** off and switch allegiance? Come on. What a grub. If you're the Poms and have a shred of decency (lol, I know) you'd knock him back and tell him to gagf.
To be fair, sounds like he'd made the decision a fair bit before the Olympics. Aus should be thankful that he won them some medals before seeing the light.

Mind you, as someone who married into a Welsh Family, he may want to reconsider that particular aspect of the switch!!

Burgey

Nah, he should have given someone else his spot ahead of the Olympics. He didn't win any gold anyway, so he wouldn't have been missed. We place nowhere near as much store in minor medals as our pasty northern hemisphere also-rans.

Give the spot to another young rider who would benefit from the experience and be better for it in LA. Ridiculously selfish move on his part tbh. Typical ****ing Pom.

Burgey

I don't mind a bloke going bad, but it seems to me he should have done it before getting a career's worth of investment in him over here. He can ride around in circles for whoever he likes, but once you've committed to one country that should be it, given the resources and time which get poured into these clowns.

Coronis

International Coach
I always thought Poland taking that Belarusian chick was really rude of them. Especially since she’s not even fast enough to qualify for Poland.