• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I mean hat tricks are special from any bowler but looking at the actual wickets...that's a gifted hat trick. Tail end trying to swing for the ropes.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wouldn't make my ODI XI either.
Such is the ill fortune of Young being shuffled around the order and in and out of the side he hasn't had a proper opportunity to shine imo. He's not a test opener or an ODI opener - or ODI #3 for that matter, but I feel his fairly poor performances in those spots will ruin his chances for a proper shot at #4 in the future.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Young over Nicholls for me, though not as an opener. There isn’t exactly an embarrassment of batting riches, Guptill will be gone post the WC, and Kane and Conway aren’t turning out all that regularly.
I'd normally put Young over Nicholls, but Nicholls can bat anywhere in the top 6 which is great for a reserve batter in a squad.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Macewell averaging 90 with the bat in ODIs and 1.66 with the ball in T20s. I reckon the glowing rays of sunshine I put around his profile pic should actually be permanent and official.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Anyone know why cleaver is being picked over fletcher on this tour? Fletcher seems the better t20 bat of the two.
No, not really. I think they have the two backup wicket-keepers selected in the wrong formats.

Cleaver and Fletcher play very different roles (and positions) with the bat in T20s. In a full strength 11, He is competing for roles filled by 2 of our best batsmen Kane and Conway (or Latham, e.g. in Bangladesh T20 tour last year).

Where as Fletcher would have a role as a closer/biffer.

I guess, theoretically , Cleaver is coming in as a like-for-like replacement for Conway. Could justify it from a depth building POV.
Where as Fletcher would be competing with Macewell and Neesham for batting time, who are both on current tour.

But still think selected in wrong formats. If Blundell hadn't spectacularly come back to life on the England tour, then Cleaver should be pushing him in that format, rather than Fletcher (If you want to slot in a like-for-like replacement and don't want to do an entire team balance re-balance)

Niall

International Coach
Going to have to be a serious debate about Delany, has looked horrific all summer.

Standard stuff this from Ireland decent start and then collapse, NZ have little to be pleased about as the opposition is of such low quality, Scotland will probably be a tougher contest.