• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
What if they're 100-2 with Lara out for 3?
There were no provisions for 'retired hurt' in my prediction therefore eliminating that scenario considering that Lara was scheduled to and did bat at 4.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
_Ed_ said:
Disappointing for Marshall to get out to such a bad shot after batting so well up to that point.

But not as disappointing as the players going off for another rain delay.
Apart from the fact that he actually missed about ten shots outside his off-stump, yes. After he got to 27 he batted well, but he should have been out before that

Mr Mxyzptlk

Samuel_Vimes said:
Why did Bravo bat ahead of Chanderpaul? Although he haven't batted poorly, surely Shiv is the better batsman.
Because Lara would have preferred for Chanderpaul to have to come out late in the game with a high RRR than for Bravo to do so. Makes perfect sense IMO.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Because Lara would have preferred for Chanderpaul to have to come out late in the game with a high RRR than for Bravo to do so. Makes perfect sense IMO.
You can't call Chanderpaul an attacking batsman though.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
And another West Indies collapse.Good bowling from New Zealand especially Vettori.Also, better fielding from the kiwis.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The West Indies have now made it a goal to have a few batting collapses in each series.They got two in this one.Even when the odds are supposed to be in their favour they still find a way to lose. :wacko:

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Quick thoughts before I collapse on my keyboard...

Great bowling from Vettori - tossing it up and getting good flight. He actually was dipping the ball!

He looks like a much better bowler to the right-handed batsmen too. Bowled a beautiful arm-ball that drifted (or swung) into Ricardo Powell (I think) and hit him on the toe for a confident but unsuccessful LBW appeal. He later flighted the ball outside the off-stump and bet Powell in the flight for his dismissal.

5 for 30 - best bowling figures (along with 2 direct run-outs). Quite clearly the man of the match.

The NZers were awesome in the field - best fielding effort to date. Stopping 2's, effecting run-outs - it must have been the final atmosphere and the knowledge of coming up short of about 30-40 runs. Bracewell needs to instill energy and confidence in the side so they can field with this level of enthusiasm every match (they didn't field like this when WI and England scored 200+ against them in round-robin play).

NZ quite clearly the best team in this Natwest series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
You can't call Chanderpaul an attacking batsman though.
In spite of some of the innings he's played - including the third-fastest Test century of all-time?
Like Atherton, there are two Chanderpauls - the best-known one, the grafter, and the one which pops his head up every now and then and plays extraordinarily good innings at great speed.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
1 innings - I'm struggling to remember any other quick innings from him - sometimes (or, most of the time) even if he tries to score quickly, he just can't. For example, the rain reduced NZ match at the start of this NatWest series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tom Halsey said:
1 innings - I'm struggling to remember any other quick innings from him - sometimes (or, most of the time) even if he tries to score quickly, he just can't. For example, the rain reduced NZ match at the start of this NatWest series.
Let me jog your memory...

150 from 136 balls v SA
Here

62 from 45 balls v Sri Lanka
Here

74 from 77 balls v India
Here

Started 10 from 52 balls and ended 84 from 96 balls (that's 74 from 44)
Here

Mr Mxyzptlk

63 from 55 balls v England
Here

39* off 32 balls v India
Here

Tests:

104 from 154 balls v Australia
Here

Oh ye of narrow memory span and limited knowledge of West Indies cricket.

EDIT: Another Test...

74 off 91 balls v SA
Here

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Like Atherton, there are two Chanderpauls - the best-known one, the grafter, and the one which pops his head up every now and then and plays extraordinarily good innings at great speed.

I find it amazing that Atherton has one of the highest ODI averages amongst Englishmen, yet was never really considered anything but a Test player.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Cairns would have bowled if the Windies had got closer to the target. The fact that McMillan was bowling in a final is quite embarassing for the Windies.

NZ really should have made close to 300 but I guess in the end it didn't matter..they were exceptional in the field & that was perhaps the big difference between the sides today.

And I suppose that because McMillan scored a 50, he'll be in the team for the next series...blast.