• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2004 Natwest Series (Eng, NZL, WI)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Blakey..we've recently discussed up & coming quicks. The player you're thinking of is Richard Sherlock & he's transferred from C.D to Canterbury for this season.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Ahh cheers Tim - new here so wouldn't have seen the discussions. So are there any others on the horizon? Whats the info on Richard Sherlock? I.e. age? does the academt rate him? has he got a record as yet? And do we know how quick he is?

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Well - I'd still rate Australia as a comfortable first with India second (Compare India's top order with NZ's, and consider their emerging bowling talent of Irfan Pathan and Balaji).

NZ would be either third of fourth with South Africa. I'd still back South Africa to beat us comfortable in a home series of 5 or 7 matches.

If NZ wants to keep winning we have to attempt to fix out current problems rather than keeping the same players even if we continue to win. Throw out McMillan and some more consistency with our fast-bowlers will do fine with me.

Mingster

State Regular
Blakey said:
Ahh cheers Tim - new here so wouldn't have seen the discussions. So are there any others on the horizon? Whats the info on Richard Sherlock? I.e. age? does the academt rate him? has he got a record as yet? And do we know how quick he is?
Faster than Butler (who's really only fast-medium) and a tad below Bond pace and without the accuracy. Canterbury will have a mighty pace attack if all were to be fit.

Will Cairns continue to play State Champs cricket or just flag it? There's really no point in playing Cairns, as it would only hold back the likes of Neil Broom etc.

Mingster

State Regular
anzac said:
IMO the test middle order needs a player like Marshall - not a big striker of the ball but keeps the scoreboard moving & the strike rotating.........however I still maintain there is a case for my 'horses for cources' theory, as Marshall strugles on low & slow pitches where the ball does not come on to the bat (which McMillan prefers).............

just as a side question for our NZ locals - what is the batting style of James Marshall as compared to Hamish??? Does he also look to nudge the ball about or is he more conventional??? Does he still need the ball coming onto the bat???
Hamish Marshall for Tests? No. As for the "nudging around" ability, it's only really useful in ODIs as he "nudges" the ball to third man alot. I would prefer to see the likes of Fulton in the Test side ahead of Hamish, unless he can score some runs in the State Champs.

I agree with your comment on Lou Vincent, our batting depth in the country is not vast enough for us to just totally ignore Vincent forever.

Marshall hasn't really struggled on "low and slow" pitches so far, that's just an overrated comment.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Scott Styris debuted in ODI's in 1999 but didn't play a test until 2002. I don't think you could say Styris was that inexperienced at the time he made his test debut.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know if we need another Marshall in the team as they play the exact same way...although let's be honest, James Marshall with his dab & run type play may be far better than a McMillan who tries to create his own new cricket shots.

The fact is that we've got enough strike-power in the middle order with Oram, Cairns, McCullum & Styris that adding James Marshall may not be a bad idea.

Mingster

State Regular
Tim said:
Scott Styris debuted in ODI's in 1999 but didn't play a test until 2002. I don't think you could say Styris was that inexperienced at the time he made his test debut.
But he wasn't a certain ODI starter when he made his Test debut.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
india meatspx ?

they are the most over rated side on the planet.....

And if memory serves me correct last time we played them we destroyed them

And no i wouldnt rate south africa to beat us... i think we are a bit better than them...

imho nz are 2nd... with south africa a "TINY" bit behind..

But sure most people will disagree with me on that :P

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
And you'd be right :)

India are one of the better ODI sides, but you can't say the same about their test cricket unfortunately.
Yeah, we smacked South Africa 5-1..but I wouldn't bet on the same thing happening if we play them in South Africa any time soon.

Still since 2001/2002, NZ has pretty much beaten every nation in an ODI series (including triangular series)
Infact I think the only 2 nations we haven't beaten are Zimbabwe & Bangladesh because of course we haven't played them. We get our chance against Bangladesh in October & its unlikely we'll be playing Zimbabwe anytime soon.

Mingster

State Regular
We should use the Bangladesh tour as a development excersise without going over the top. About time Oram had a rest.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't be surprised if a few players were left at home, but lets not under-estimate Bangladesh & im sure the selectors won't.

I think McMillan & Vettori need to be left out. The selectors will probably select both of them & claim this is a good chance for them to gain form. But we all know what will happen..they'll both get alot of runs & wickets & then turn up to Australia & get hammered.

IMO they've got to start looking at either Fulton or Taylor & the left-arm spinner Bruce Martin.

One other player I thought of is Jamie How. He's an opener but he could also be a decent middle order batsman. But there isn't really enough quality openers in NZ & I don't know if we should really start messing about with players & positions.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mind you..How plays the majority of his cricket in New Plymouth which would have to have the worst batting track in the country.
He's showed everytime he's batted on a decent track that he can score runs.
Back in 2000 for that World Club Championship in Perth, he scored 2 50's & Dean Jones thought he had a good future.
He's been around for 3 seasons now & hopefully next season he'll score plenty of runs.

Mingster

State Regular
Ahhhhh....get all the good up coming batsmen down to the South Island.

Vincent, Nicol, Marshall, Marshall, Taylor, How, Ryder all go down to Canterbury and Otago to get some good tracks to play on! Seriously, that wouldn't be a bad idea. And move all the good promising bowlers in NZ to Auckland, ND and CD for all the green-seamers....