• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ domestic season 2023/24

jcas0167

International Debutant
The other one was Clash of the Codes. Representatives from all different sports competing to see who was the best athlete. The cricket team pretty much always abysmally failed on every front. Much like they did on the field in the 90s.
That might have been the one where Preston and Nash competed. Two guys renowned for their fitness. I think it was about 96/97 and Nash was out of top cricket recovering from a back injury. Preston incidentally was also a very good cricketer apparently.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The Cricket team in the early seasons of COTC traditionally sucked badly. They had Paul McEwan, maybe Maia Lewis and some other battler. The other teams featured some of the best athletes from each sport.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
U17 tourny kicks off today. Otago's Humphrey Bogart aside, anyone know any names we should look out for?

Recognise none from that Wgtn side. Son's of, etc.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
U17 tourny kicks off today. Otago's Humphrey Bogart aside, anyone know any names we should look out for?
Still young enough for probably 2 more of these.

It looks like Clarke, (maybe 2 others) from the U19s would have still been young enough for this tournament.

Last edited:

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man

I've seen a little bit of Archie Sims in the Wellington team. He looks pretty good when he gets going.

Harry O'Loughlin in the Canterbury team had a decent Gillette Cup for CBHS before Christmas, and also hit 200 at The Willows earlier this season.

jcas0167

International Debutant

The Auckland captain has a cool name so looked him up - impressed in Gillette Cup. https://www.nzc.nz/news-items/cbhs-...ship-record-en-route-to-gillette-cup-decider/

Brandon Matzopoulos (91), the latter bringing up his second half-century of tournament. Matzopoulos impressed during his knock, playing a chanceless innings
Apparently, Otago have brought in Jamal Todd and Thorn Parkes for Llew Johnson and Dale Phillips for their last two Super Smash games.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Most competitive bloke I have ever come across.
This is 100% true. He couldn't do anything non-competively. He played a couple of games for my club when I first started, and a mate made the fatal mistake of pulling Dion's first warm up ball in the nets. The next ball was 20km quicker, he probably overstepped, and right at his head. The whole of the resulting spell was fiery as ****, too. We soon learned not to pull our place bowlers in the nets, ever 😂

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I've seen people say he was being tongue in cheek. That wasn't my impression.
Zero chance. Smithy would hate the new set up. I think he subtely mentioned as much in an interview in an article somewhere, can't remember where. But nah he meant that, saw his opportunity and took it.

Meanwhile, what the **** is Skull up to? AI fielders, WTF? And dunno if he's watched recently but our domestic comp is probably stronger than theirs. Theirs is a shadow of what it was, the BBL is unintentional comedy gold at times

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I love Smithy but he went full boomer in an article a year or so ago so you know it's over.

Great servant but he's done and wisely took the aussie cash.

In saying that, our comms can certainly improve. As usual it's the freshest faces like Elliott, McKay and Hesson who are easily the best.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah I love Smithy but he went full boomer in an article a year or so ago so you know it's over.

Great servant but he's done and wisely took the aussie cash.

In saying that, our comms can certainly improve. As usual it's the freshest faces like Elliott, McKay and Hesson who are easily the best.
Smithy’s just calling as he sees at, which most of New Zealand would probably agree with. The TVNZ crew are horrendous. Almost make the game impossible to watch.

Howsie

International Captain
They're fine. Stevenson is grating when he tries to talk specifics but overall the experience is no more irritating than commentary ever was on Sky
Sky was crap too. McMillan is hopeless he was with Sky too, same with Richardson. Stevenson is a joke, you’d think he hated cricket and was trying to ruin the experience for everyone. Less said about 99 percent of the female commentators both Sky and TXNZ have had over the last few years too.