• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Non Test Playing Nations!!!

Which Non Test Playing Nation Do U Support?

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but a packer type figure threatening to pull the associates away from the ICC would definitely put pressure on the ICC to act to keep its infulence on the game there perhaps with more incentives like bigger development budgets and so forth.
TBH, the ICC would celebrate such a thing.

It would save them a fortune in money and get rid of the complication of what to do with such non-Test teams.

The only thing more sure than the ICC loving it would be that the 'packer type figure' would lose a lot of money.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
TBH, the ICC would celebrate such a thing.

It would save them a fortune in money and get rid of the complication of what to do with such non-Test teams.

The only thing more sure than the ICC loving it would be that the 'packer type figure' would lose a lot of money.
See precisely my point. You are assuming that because these countries lower down the order have not yet shown themselves to be easy cash cows they never will be able to run cricket in a financially viable way. Similar to to the disdain with which the ICC looked at Pyjama cricket when Packer took up the idea which is now the ICC's biggest money spinner in all its variations even though most. If someone could show some wit and originality that is generally blatantly lacking in the ICC in offering the associates a better deal than the ICC, and if this venture starts to make loads of money with the ICC being relegated to the background on the basis of their previous neglect of these countries then they would end up with either a situation where the current associates leave the ICC and become stronger cricketing nations, or using the leverage of the better alternative to cause a shift in the structure of the ICC where the teams involved will become even more empowered than ever before.

PS: Did I mention that the amount of cash Andrew Symonds probably earned more from his IPL contract than will be spent on the Intercontinental cup this season,and certainly more than Ireland did at the 2007 World cup

Last edited:

Janus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
See precisely my point. You are assuming that because these countries lower down the order have not yet shown themselves to be easy cash cows they never will be able to run cricket in a financially viable way. Similar to to the disdain with which the ICC looked at Pyjama cricket when Packer took up the idea which is now the ICC's biggest money spinner in all its variations even though most. If someone could show some wit and originality that is generally blatantly lacking in the ICC in offering the associates a better deal than the ICC, and if this venture starts to make loads of money with the ICC being relegated to the background on the basis of their previous neglect of these countries then they would end up with either a situation where the current associates leave the ICC and become stronger cricketing nations, or using the leverage of the better alternative to cause a shift in the structure of the ICC where the teams involved will become even more empowered than ever before.

PS: Did I mention that the amount of cash Andrew Symonds probably earned more from his IPL contract than will be spent on the Intercontinental cup this season,and certainly more than Ireland did at the 2007 World cup
Personally I myself think of the ICC as a cancer that needs to be dealt with, it's impact not only on the associates is terrible. between ruining world cups and overdosing players with matches, they have caused chaos in the game of cricket and need to be removed.

I'd argue that the associates and some of the test nations (New Zealand, West Indies, Sri Lanka etc. Need to break away and form a new council, Worldwide Cricket Association or something like that. With International emphasis on 5 day matches with a ODI world cup and T20 World cup every 4 years, like the summer and winter Olympics. And International Domestic tournament akin to the UEFA Champions league with the winners of each countries T20 Domestic tournament taking part.

Club Cricket is the future in terms of the ODI and T20 formats, High Quality new clubs but clubs none the less. Operating a bit like Football clubs do.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The Current ICC executive structure reminds me of the structure of Kenya's colonial govet at the time the Mau Mau rebellion Broke out, where on the 12 Member LegCo the 80k odd white settlers were represented by 6 elected members, the Asian Community, who were more, had about 5 representatives and the 8 odd million natives had one nominated member. (in 1944 it was Elliud Mathu)

Janus

UAE 228 All out (72 overs)
Ireland 474 All out (134.3 overs)
UAE 306 All out (122.2 overs)
Ireland 64-1 (14.2 overs)

Ireland Win by Nine wickets and collect 20 points.

Saqib Ali's 195 was the major hangup there, a Snyman like effort but it failed to see UAE to a draw. Worrying is the state of Ireland's bowlers, they all seem to be injured to some extent. Anyway, Bring on Bangladesh.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Bangladesh looking piteful against South Africa so irelend could well have a chance there

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
South Africa are looking very strong at the moment - it could be a very tough couple of matches for Kenya in May

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
How do u think Irish Cricket will Shape up if Ireland manage to whitewash Bangladesh or even 2-1 to win the series?

Are the matches being telecasted in Ireland?

Update: Kenya is planning to host quadrangular tournament in Oct with Ireland, Zimbabwe & Bangladesh being other teams (To be played in place of 5 odis against Ireland. The Tournament is yet to be finalised.)

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Depends on the money they get out of the series Hopefully at least one major broadcaster will be willing to air the games.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
What an Irish victory over Bangladesh would achieve is further credence for the call for Associates to play more matches against the Test sides.

Janus

How do u think Irish Cricket will Shape up if Ireland manage to whitewash Bangladesh or even 2-1 to win the series?

Are the matches being telecasted in Ireland?
I'm not entirely sure about that, It's most definitely not going to be on the main channels, Sentanta Sports showed the Matches against India and South Africa last year but I'm not sure if they'll do it again. And anyway they are a subscription based channel so not many viewers if they do show it.

Incidentally Ireland only has seven television channels, so there is limited choice.

As far as Irelands future goes, I've said myself that Ireland needs to win the European championships, the World cup qualifier, the 2007-08 Intercontinental cup and the Twenty20 qualifier to prove ourselves difficult to overlook. tough ask considering the quality of Kenya and Scotland.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Update: Kenya is planning to host quadrangular tournament in Oct with Ireland, Zimbabwe & Bangladesh being other teams (To be played in place of 5 odis against Ireland. The Tournament is yet to be finalised.)
I'll be in school then
:dry: Hopefully the presence of two test teams will draw some attention. Kenya hav not played Zimbabwe since the drawn series in 2005 and I reckon it will be a very competitive series.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
That would be interesting to watch. I like the idea of the bottom Test nations mixing with the top Associates as it can only benefit both.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
That would be interesting to watch. I like the idea of the bottom Test nations mixing with the top Associates as it can only benefit both.
Or even just the idea of an ODI tournament of more than 2 team that is not haunted by the prospect of colossal mismatches.:laugh:

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Irish are hit by injuries? Could that trouble them in Bangladesh series?

Ireland is also planning to host Bangladesh for 3 Odis later this year!

Janus

Irish are hit by injuries? Could that trouble them in Bangladesh series?

Ireland is also planning to host Bangladesh for 3 Odis later this year!
The Injuries are a huge concern, Especially Johnstons Elbow strain. Even with the injuries I think we are still competitive but I'm not sure about the 2-1 to Ireland any more.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The Injuries are a huge concern, Especially Johnstons Elbow strain. Even with the injuries I think we are still competitive but I'm not sure about the 2-1 to Ireland any more.
I figure that Irelands pace bowers like any others are going to find the pitch consitions in Bangladesh challenging, where the difference will be is if ter spinners can match Bangladesh's

Janus

I figure that Irelands pace bowers like any others are going to find the pitch consitions in Bangladesh challenging, where the difference will be is if ter spinners can match Bangladesh's
Spin is not an Irish strength, makes things all the more worrying.

Incidentally I've thought that Ireland to succeed need to make our pitches very bowler friendly like that Pitch in Sabine park last year. ICC might have something to say about that but who cares what the ICC says these days.