• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q17. Was it Keith Rigg? .... NO

Okay, since I dont like a question going unanswered, I will provide the other name too.

The Victorian Captain who said this to Bradman was Hans Ebeling.

Now. You have three attempts to guess what happened ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q18. Was it anything to do with the game where Bradman got 350+ against Victoria? ..... NO

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I assume everyone has given up so here is the answer.

In a match between Victoria and South Africa at Melbourne, Bradman, the South Australian captain, was "unsettled by a brilliant and aggressive exhibition of new ball bowling from Ernie McCormick". Bradman complained to the Victorian captain, Hans Ebeling. After some heated words were exchanged in the middle, Ebeling told the Don, "You run your side, I'll run mine.".

Ernie McCormick was later described by Bradman, at a speach in 1938, as the fastest bowler in the world.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Couldn’t find that anywhere even in my capacious library (a perfect justification to go on collecting methinks) – what’s the source SJS?

Anyway as you haven’t set us another I’ll step in:-

This journeyman wicket keeper batsman was capped by two counties before emigrating. He never got close to test selection here but did represent his adopted country in first class cricket. Who was he and what is so unusual about his batting record?

archie mac

International Coach
Couldn’t find that anywhere even in my capacious library (a perfect justification to go on collecting methinks) – what’s the source SJS?

Anyway as you haven’t set us another I’ll step in:-

This journeyman wicket keeper batsman was capped by two counties before emigrating. He never got close to test selection here but did represent his adopted country in first class cricket. Who was he and what is so unusual about his batting record?
Would he be proud of his batting record?

fredfertang

Would he be proud of his batting record?
Yes - it probably is a record in the literal sense but might better be described as a feature of his batting record

On reflection I can't find confirmation he was actually capped by the second county but I am pretty sure he was

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Bill O'Reilly in his autobiography. Tiger O'Reilly - 60 Years in Cricket

fredfertang

Bill O'Reilly in his autobiography. Tiger O'Reilly - 60 Years in Cricket
Ah yes found it now (don't you just hate books without an index?) - One place I didn't look although I suppose if you're looking for a story against Bradman it should be an obvious starting point!

stumpski

International Captain
I'm puzzled by the clue that 'he represented his adopted country in first-class [but not Test] cricket.'

There aren't too many countries to which that could apply ... did he go to Rhodesia/Zimbabwe?

stumpski

International Captain
Was it a side that now competes in Associates competitions such as the ICC Trophy or Intercontinental Cup?

Playing career ended before 1970?

stumpski

International Captain
Two more from me (for now) - did he play in the annual Scotland - Ireland match?

And did he play more than 150 f-c matches in his whole career?