• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Its amazing that 85 + % of all captains, all over the world put the opposition in for a hundred years of test cricket and then the percentage started dropping with its lowest (58 something) in the 80's.
Wasn't the statistic winning the toss and batting first? If so then they weren't putting the opposition in were they?

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
THAT'S IT !!

Well Done.

Its amazing that 85 + % of all captains, all over the world put the opposition in for a hundred years of test cricket and then the percentage started dropping with its lowest (58 something) in the 80's. But it is a huge drop since 1970. I would be interested in kowing what people think this could be due to.

Your turn Archie and that was good.

PS Was it just another attempt at a guess or did you do some research ? Just curious since these figures are not available, I actually worked them out.
No research, I would prefer educated guess :laugh: (I prefered the big smily face instead of this laughing one:huh: )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
No research, I would prefer educated guess :laugh: (I prefered the big smily face instead of this laughing one:huh: )
How come you are able to still post smilies , because I can't in this new web paging format.

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
How come you are able to still post smilies , because I can't in this new web paging format.
That for you Jason, would be like an Italian unable to use his hands when talking
:laugh:

Just kidding, I would e-mail James, as I know you are not the only one having this problem:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
That for you Jason, would be like an Italian unable to use his hands when talking
:laugh:
That's because Archie , we Sri Lankans are generally very happy fellas , as you probably only know too well . Ha Ha Ha * can't post a smilie there *

Edit :
I discovered how to post smilies - you have to Edit after posting and go advanced !! :laugh: 8-) :blink: :@

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
That's because Archie , we Sri Lankans are generally very happy fellas , as you probably only know too well . Ha Ha Ha * can't post a smilie there *
Yes great people and always happy to talk cricket, which is an easy way to get on my good side :cool:

archie mac

International Coach
It was recorded of Mortock of Surrey, that he only allowed 17 byes in 16 matches in the field. This could not now happen in the same manner. Why?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
James90 said:
Wasn't the statistic winning the toss and batting first? If so then they weren't putting the opposition in were they?
A slip. I shud have said winning the toss and batting first.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
It was recorded of Mortock of Surrey, that he only allowed 17 byes in 16 matches in the field. This could not now happen in the same manner. Why?
the definition of what was recorded as a "bye" then was different to today , I suspect and extremely restrictive then perhaps. ie only balls that touched the keeper were recorded as Byes may be ....:) guessing here ....:laugh:

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
the definition of what was recorded as a "bye" then was different to today , I suspect and extremely restrictive then perhaps. ie only balls that touched the keeper were recorded as Byes may be ....:) guessing here ....:laugh:
No

Clue: it is more the way they played the game in those days, and also the quality of the pitches :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Does it have to do with the fact that there was always a 'long stop' behind the keeper ?

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Does it have to do with the fact that there was always a 'long stop' behind the keeper ?
Yes, I will give it to you SJS, they use to record the byes against the Long-stop and not the wicket keeper, your turn :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Who said this and to whom ?

Before you came in, I knew you were no gentlemen. Now that I have seen you batting a bit, I know you are not a player, either.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Who said this and to whom ?

Before you came in, I knew you were no gentlemen. Now that I have seen you batting a bit, I know you are not a player, either.
Is the person talking English?

Is the person he is talking about Ranji?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q1 Is the person talking English?.....YES

Q2. Is the person he is talking about Ranji?....NO