• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Only players to take more than one wicket as Supersubs?

Jamee, am I getting colder or warmer :) ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Original Question 21.12 2005
Chris Gayle and Liam Plunkett hold a record each. These records are linked.

What are the records (and for a bonus point, what did they do to break the record. eg. BC Lara broke the Test High-Score Record by making 400*)

Q1 (25.12.2005) : Anything to do with Liam Plunkett being topscorer in the first innings he ever got to bat and leading wicket taker in his first ODI and Gayle's Test Debut ?.....NO (27.12.2005)

Clue : Someone who retired in May 2005 would not have been able to take this record.

Q2. (27.12.2005) Something to do with Super Subs?....Yes (28.12.2005)

Q3.(29.12.2005) Some thing to do with man of the matches?

Q4. (29.12.2005) Some thing to do with a 'first'?

Q5. (29.12.2005) Some thing to do with a 'maximum'?

Q6. (31.12.2005) Where is Jamee ?

Jamee appears and answers in the negative to Q3 to Q5 and does not adress Q6. :)

Q7. (31.12.2005) They both top scored for their teams coming in as super subs?....NO (1.1.2005)

Q8. (1.1.2005) Best bowling figures for team when coming on as Supersub?

Q9. (1.1.2005) Made their debuts for their sides as Super sub?

3rd Jan 2005. Jason : Jamee this thread is stagnating ! Any chance of your giving out a clue to expedite finding answer to this question , if the above answers are not correct.

At this stage it is 13 days since the question was first asked. Nine questions asked since then (including the one about Jamee's where abouts) and 6 of them answered thus far !!

Jamee makes an appearance and answers "ALMOST THERE TO Q8 and NO to Q9.

Q10. (3.12.2005) : Was it achieved in one particular innings?....YES
Q11. Only players to take more than one wicket as Supersubs?......
Q12. Is it completely to do with bowling?......

It is 52 hours since the last question was asked and we are awaiting the answer. I am sure Jamee is busy with something but this way the trivia threads will die. Al of us have been guilty of this kind of slow down at different times and I think we need to make some modifications in the rules to keep the interest alive. We can think of many things. Here are a few...purely ideas mind you. More are welcome. and maybe we weil enliven this place a bit more.

1. We limit the total time for which a question can go on. If it is not answered in X number of days, it should be answered by the person who asked the original question so that we may move on.

2. It would be better if slower questions (some are for various reasons slow moving) are enhanced by more frequesnt clues so that answers by the questioner himself are reduced.

3. If the person asking the question is likely to be away for sometime, he may either say so and provide the answer or we can fix a time beyond which we need not wait for the answer to a question. Say 24 hours. If for 24 hours a question remains unanswered in YES or NO, anyone else can asked another question.

More suggestions are welcome.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Gayle - Highest Score as a Super Sub
Plunkett - Best Bowling Figures as a Super Sub

If that's right I haven't got a question, I just thought I should put this out of its misery.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In order to move this question to a conclusion here are the next 8 questions.

Q13. Is it partially to do with bowling ?

Q14. Did Gayle get it before Plunkett ?

Q15. Did Plunkett get it before Gayle ?

Q16. Is it something to be proud of ?

Q17. Is it to do with number of wickets taken ?

Q18. Is it to do with number of maidens bowled ?

Q19. Is it to do with number of runs conceded ?

Q 20. What is it ?

:p :p :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Baconator said:
Gayle - Highest Score as a Super Sub
Plunkett - Best Bowling Figures as a Super Sub

If that's right I haven't got a question, I just thought I should put this out of its misery.
I confirm you are right :)
Now ask the next question pls :)

The Baconator

Here it is, first question for a while for me, sorry if it's a bit rubbish.

What was Geoffrey Boycott the first to do in ODIs, that he was the second to do twice in tests?

open365

The Baconator said:

What was Geoffrey Boycott the first to do in ODIs, that he was the second to do twice in tests?
be an obnoxious boring ****?

archie mac

International Coach
The Baconator said:

Carry his Bat?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Carry his Bat?
Not in ODI's.

Gavaskar did it in June 75 (with his miserable, and some say extremely fishy, 36 not out in 60 overs against Kenya of all sides) and Boycott never did as far as I can recall.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Anything to do with his two 99s in Test Cricket?
I confirm this is correct.

He was the first to be out at 99 in ODI's on 20th August 1980.
Lamb was next on 4th June 1982. Another 21 have been out like that since of which Jayasuriya twice.

He is one of 7 batsmen to be left stranded at 99. I say stranded because he wasnt out the second time when England were bowled out for 215 at WACA in Dec 1979. Only one of the others had been out att 99 before this twice which was MJK Smith in June 1960 and Oct 1961. All others Richardson, Wright, Atherton, Blewett and Ganguly followed in that order.

Your turn Archie Mac and well done. :clapping: :clapping:

archie mac

International Coach
Thank you, I was trying to set it up so someone else would ask the next question :D

Okay lets see if anyone is reading my book reviews :p

Which player on being told Jardine would captain England on there Ashes tour of Australia replied:

'He might win us the Ashes and lose us an empire'