• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it a list of players who scored most runs after their 40th birthday and of players who took most wickets after their 40th birthday ? :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1 Allen Gubby
2 Blackie
3 Close Brian
4 Grace WG
5 Grimmett
6 Gunn George
7 Hendren
8 Ironmonger
9 Nourse AW
10 Rhodes Wilfred
11 Woolley Frank

This is a very interesting and competent test side (if you get Woolley to keep wickets).

I have put them in alphabatic order. If you put them in a particular batting order they contribute to what is surely an unbeatable world record.

1. What is that order ?
2. What is that unbeatable record ?

Q1. This is the list of the oldest players to play Tests.....NO
Q2. Is the order anything to do with scoring centuries?.....NO
Q3. Is it to do with the length of their FC careers?....NO
Q4. Is it a list of players who scored most runs after their 40th birthday and of players who took most wickets after their 40th birthday ?....NO

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it the list of oldest player at each batting position to do some thing (ie a century or take five wickets) perhaps :D ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Is it the list of oldest player at each batting position to do some thing (ie a century or take five wickets) perhaps :D ?
NO...Not exactly :) Sorry I cant be more specific without giving away the answer :p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
I cant think of anything so I just made this up :D

1 Allen Gubby
2 Blackie
3 Close Brian
4 Grace WG
5 Grimmett
6 Gunn George
7 Hendren
8 Ironmonger
9 Nourse AW
10 Rhodes Wilfred
11 Woolley Frank

This is a very interesting and competent test side (if you get Woolley to keep wickets).

I have put them in alphabatic order. If you put them in a particular batting order they contribute to what is surely an unbeatable world record.

1. What is that order ?
2. What is that unbeatable record ?

PS : Its pretty simple but I am not able to think of anything else :)
All I have is that Rhodes at 53 is the only Test cricketer to have played in his 53rd year and thus holds the record for the best bowling and batting in his 53rd year.
"Dainty" Ironmonger has the best bowling at age 51, 50 and 49 , Don Blackie at age 47, Clarrie Grimmet Aged 44, 45 and Frank Wolley at age 43 .
In terms of batting the aforementioned Wilfred Rhodes was the only player to play in his 53rd year.
No one played Test cricket in their 52 nd year. George Gunn has the best batting performance at age 51 while Dainty Ironmonger at age 50, Wifred Rhodes(again) at age 49 and Frank Wolley at age 45 . (46-48 Sir JB Hobbs -who is not on this list !! :blink: )

Unable to put these all together . Can any one ? :blink: :blink: :D :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay here is the batting order

1 Gunn
2 Grace
3 Frank Woolley
4 Close
5 Nourse
6 Gubby Allen
7 Hendren
8 Grimmett
9 Blackie
10 Rhodes
11 Ironmonger

The record lies in this order !

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Okay here is the batting order

1 Gunn
2 Grace
3 Frank Woolley
4 Close
5 Nourse
6 Gubby Allen
7 Hendren
8 Grimmett
9 Blackie
10 Rhodes
11 Ironmonger

The record lies in this order !
Is it the oldest player to bat in each position, in a Test Match?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Is it the oldest player to bat in each position, in a Test Match?
YESSS !!

Player Years Days
1 Gunn G 50 294
2 WG 50 318
3 Woolley 47 83
4 Nourse 46 202
5 Close 45 113
6 Allen Gubby 45 240
7 Hendren 46 37
8 Grimmett 44 65
9 Blackie 46 254
10 Rhodes 52 156
11 Ironmonger 50 322
TOTAL 526 259

Nearly 48 years on average. These players played at these position and the age given is their age when they played in that position.

Except Close and Blackie, all of them were playing their last match so it was the oldest age at which they played tests. Close was older by 21 days and Blackie by 48 days when they played their last test but not in the same batting position. :)

BTW, like most stat based questions I ask, I worked this one out myself.

I was surprised to see Gubby Allen and Grimmett as high as six and eight and Hendren as low as seven.

Your turn.

archie mac

International Coach
Good question that SJS, but when ever you say easy, I become very worried :p

Another conversation, I want you to name the two people having it, one is a Test cricketer the other; well I think, his identity is easy to work out :D

'look here' said Blank 'I've got an idea. What about me slipping a carbon paper into my copy today for you and you can do the same for me tomorrow. We both write the same sort of stuff'.

I think it is true to say that that was the only time I have seen Blank stumped for a word.

archie mac

International Coach
? Max Walker No not Max

If not then did this conversation happen pre 70s or post 70s ? Pre :)

I thought reference to the use of carbon paper might help. Though not sure why :D