• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

Snippie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This is a very easy one, (haven't yet been able to work much magic on statsguru, but will definitely be doing some searches there for the future! :D )

South African Record.
What has the following cricketers done that no other South African International player has been able to do? (Edit - ODI Record)

Ashwell Prince
Dave Richardson
Keppler Wessels
Mark Boucher
Jonty Rhodes

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Some thing completely unrelated I wanna ask you SJS. My friend contradicted me saying Singhs are not Jats. You said Dhoni is a Jat. Kindly resolve this.

Cheers.

deeps

International 12th Man
in answer to the trivia q, it appears, that none of those batsman got a bat in their first innings

however kepler wessels has me stumped, because his first odi was for australia, where he did not get a bat..but his first odi for sa, he did

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
in answer to the trivia q, it appears, that none of those batsman got a bat in their first innings

however kepler wessels has me stumped, because his first odi was for australia, where he did not get a bat..but his first odi for sa, he did
Neither did Ntini :p

deeps

International 12th Man
yeh i figured alot of bowlers wouldnt have, so there mustve been a specifiaction of some sort

"pencilled in to bat higher than 6" or something

I just wanna kno if i'm on the right track :p

deeps

International 12th Man
lol there goes that theory

hmm must be a coincidence then that they didnt bat in their first match! no idea then

Snippie

deeps said:

Nope sorry, bit of a hint - has nothing to do with batting :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Some thing completely unrelated I wanna ask you SJS. My friend contradicted me saying Singhs are not Jats. You said Dhoni is a Jat. Kindly resolve this.

Cheers.
When I said Dhoni is a jat, I was basically refering to his style and approach though I did think he was a jat. I know now that he is a Garhwali (from the hills of Garhwal) though settled in Jharkhand (former Bihar). He may not necessarily be a jat by birth(caste).

ALL Singhs are NOT Jats though many of them are and many jats (again not all) are Singhs. Singhs are in every Indian community and can be Brahmins (like myself) or from any of the other castes/sub castes.They may spell there name differently varying from Singh, Sinh, Sinha, Simha etc, Mostly they are kshatriyas but again not always.

In my case (as in the case of all sikhs) it is a bit deiiferent. A lot of the exceptions amongst Singhs come from those belonging to the Sikh community. Three hundred years ago, when Guru Gobing Singh converted a large mass of Nanak's disciples (originally Hindus) he aked them to shed their family names and adopt a common name . This was done to remove the difference of caste which was known from the name and he gave the name Singh (meaning lion) since he was making them warrioirs and warrior communities generally were Singhs in Northern India,

Hope I have not confused you further. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yoo Hoo !!

Any body home ?

You are going to have to be here often enough to answer queries.

Snippie

I'm back, sorry, only here when at work, 7:30 AM till 16:00 SA time. As for your question, Yes it is a cricketing feat, yes it is something to be proud of...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The cricketers of today are normal......they are creatures by no means too good for human nature's daily food. The cricketers of half a century ago were different. To us boys they were heroes, paladins, romantic as the knights of King Arthur's Round Table. Their arms we knew : their greaves, their gauntlets, their brands Excalibur. Their features for the most part were weather-beaten and homely, for seldom did we see so handsome a fellow as ________ , and when we did, the deadliness of our hostility towards this high-ranking enemy obscured our judgement.

Who wrote the above lines and who is the cricketer he was refering to in the blank ?

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
The cricketers of today are normal......they are creatures by no means too good for human nature's daily food. The cricketers of half a century ago were different. To us boys they were heroes, paladins, romantic as the knights of King Arthur's Round Table. Their arms we knew : their greaves, their gauntlets, their brands Excalibur. Their features for the most part were weather-beaten and homely, for seldom did we see so handsome a fellow as ________ , and when we did, the deadliness of our hostility towards this high-ranking enemy obscured our judgement.

Who wrote the above lines and who is the cricketer he was refering to in the blank ?
Nyren?

Has the author written any books on cricket?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Q1. Nyren?.....NO

Q2. Has the author written any books on cricket?........YES (This quote is from a book - the first page of a book)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Was the book published before 1950?

Is the author a Pom?

Are you still coming to Aust?
Q3. Was the book published before 1950?....NO
Q4. Is the author a Pom?.....YES

PS. My trip was cancelled since my visa was delayed at the Aussie High Commission. My trip is delayed quite a bit now since there are other things on schedule :@

archie mac

International Coach
Is it one of these authors?

Ross
Mason
Gibson
Arlott

No good about your trip, but maybe you will see some cricket now :)